Help With Hub Skipping.

t.w

Hi all.

I have just received my new Onza Limey 2 stock trials bike that I bought on Ebay and am a very happy man, however whenever I pedal I finish the rotation and there is a click from the hub and a skipping feeling which is really really bugging me. It seems to only do it when I put pressure on it, the hub is new apparently, it is a Halo hub.

Could it be the hub skipping ?

Could it be something else ?

Is there a cure that doesn't involve buying a new hub ?

Any ideas are welcomed.

Nice one.

Big T

It could be a couple things:

1. Check your stem and bars. Loose bars/stems or dirt in there makes them pop.

2. Check your BB. A loose BB cup pops. So does a dirty one.

3. Check your crank arms. Same as above.

4. Clean your chain and cog. Sometimes the dirt causes the chain to make all sorts of noise. Also, check for complete chain wrap on the cog.

5. If it has a cog, check the cog is on there tight. A loose lockring causes the cog to shift and that causes a pop as well if it has worn a groove into the body.

6. It likely is your hub. Halo's weren't designed for trials. The pawls and springs are probably already fairly worn, thus the skipping. A buddy of mine had a halo hub die after only a 2-3 days, and he's a pretty damn smooth guy who's gentle on his stuff. Replace the hub, before you have to replace your teeth.

I dunno if I left anything out....

Hi all.

I have just received my new Onza Limey 2 stock trials bike that I bought on Ebay and am a very happy man, however whenever I pedal I finish the rotation and there is a click from the hub and a skipping feeling which is really really bugging me. It seems to only do it when I put pressure on it, the hub is new apparently, it is a Halo hub.

Could it be the hub skipping ?

Could it be something else ?

Is there a cure that doesn't involve buying a new hub ?

Any ideas are welcomed.

Nice one.

Big T

I would imagine it's either your chain not wrapping around many teeth on the rear cog, your hub has too much grease inside because it's new and the grease is helping the pawls to skip. Or the hub could not be up to the job so isn't strong enough for a trials bike.

I'd be inclined to say it's the first option though. Take a picture of the rear cog on the back wheel and we'll be able to see.

it is a Halo hub.

Thats the problem, ive killed about 5 :lol:

There not really trials specific hubs, best cure i found to do for a temporary fix is just to take it all to bits, make sure everything is there and just pack it full of grease, had to do this with both the halo spindoctor hubs & DJD hubs i had. (Y)

Thats the problem, ive killed about 5 :lol:

There not really trials specific hubs, best cure i found to do for a temporary fix is just to take it all to bits, make sure everything is there and just pack it full of grease, had to do this with both the halo spindoctor hubs & DJD hubs i had. (Y)

If 2 f**ked up why did you buy more? :blink:

If it happening exactly once per rotation I would say it is not the hub but chain line, but as said halo hubs suck ass for trials.