Tyre/rim Sizes, Info Please

stephenmx50

Hi Guys,

On my Zoot 24" the front tyre is a "24 x 1.85" my question is..... i would like to put a wider tyre on the front, what would be a sensible size tyre to go upto on the front and more importantly will a wider tyre be suitable for the current rim that comes with a 1.85 tyre on it?

Also why i am on the subject of rims im having a problem with the spokes coming loose in the rear wheel... is this normal? i understand there is much more strain on the rear wheel of a trials bike than your average MTB but i have never had this issue with any other bike before..

Thanks in advance...

Anything upto 2.3" is probably more than fine. But it's probably best to check your fork clearance just to make sure, but i doubt a 2.3" would be any struggle. 2.1" tends to be about average for front tyres but they can very somewhat...

The spokes on the rear are probably shit. By now they should be ridden in quite well. Just keep them tensioned if you can do it yourself. But if your local charges more than a fiver for this it maybe worth buying some decent spokes and having it rebuilt to avoid further cost.

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Do you know if it is possible to get a 24 x 2.1 maxxis holy roller tyre? (this will then match my rear) or any other makes..?

Yeah i will keep an eye on the spokes and if the issue does not go away, new spokes might be the way forward. Can you advise on a decent spoke set to fit the standard rim and hub? i can build it myself this is not a problem..

I would run a 2.2 Conti mountain king, but thats personal preferance, lightweight, good spring + same compound as Der Kaiser. Anything between like 1.85-2.1 on the front is decent, you can probs squeeze in a 2.35, but no need really. 2.2 Fits in mine easily.

I think they only do these in 26"....?? im after a 24" for my Zoot

Oh yeah sorry, forgot about that. On a 24 your quite limited with tyre choice, Kenda Small block are 2.1, and obviously Moto Diggers also come in 2.1, but apart from those 2 there isnt really much else :\. As i dont ride 24 ive never used either of these so cant recommend one :( I would go for 2.1 over 1.85 though.