How Does A Hi Roller Single Ply Compare To The Lightweight Conti's

CC12345678910

Right I need a new back tyre and could do with a bit of lard cutting as well, so I could play it safe and buy a Dual-ply hi-roller which saves a touch over my DP minion, or I could save a pile of weight by putting a SP version on.

I have seen the paper queen and mountain king used as a back tyre before as thought they were pretty crap puncture wise so will it be the same story with the hi roller?

Also does anyone know if the 2.5 version fits in a t-rex?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/tyres/large_roller25size.jpg

^ suggests it might not... (if it don't I'll bang on a 2.35 instead)

Edited by CC12345678910

I used to have a single ply minion on the rear and it was more puncture prone than the 2.4 rubber queen I replaced it with, in 2 years of use I only ever pinched the rubber queen once; I didnt make a habit of bashing it into sharp corners though. I believe the rubber queen is much better against punctures than the mountain king because of the apex inserts, its still a very squirmy tyre though and really needs higher pressures to be stable.

Ive recently changed the rubber queen for a rain king and to be honest the extra stability on the rear is worth the weight penalty. If you want to shed weight then I would look at the der kaiser, its a touch lighter than the rain king which in turn is lighter than a dual ply high roller of similar size :)

I used to have a single ply minion on the rear and it was more puncture prone than the 2.4 rubber queen I replaced it with, in 2 years of use I only ever pinched the rubber queen once; I didnt make a habit of bashing it into sharp corners though. I believe the rubber queen is much better against punctures than the mountain king because of the apex inserts, its still a very squirmy tyre though and really needs higher pressures to be stable.

Ive recently changed the rubber queen for a rain king and to be honest the extra stability on the rear is worth the weight penalty. If you want to shed weight then I would look at the der kaiser, its a touch lighter than the rain king which in turn is lighter than a dual ply high roller of similar size :)

You point is informative but them conti's (RQ, DK and RK) won't fit in my frame or at least i would struggle without a stanley knife (I think).

I am wanting a hi-roller because it is what I can afford, with £35ish to spend.

Would it be okay with a DH maxxis and mabye a sleeve? I don't want to compromise my riding style much either.

EDIT: I was also using the RQ and MK as a reference point and am not really considering them, though I could be swayed.

Edited by CC12345678910

Just go for a dual ply 2.35 maxxis if getting the larger contis into the frame isnt a feasibility :)

IIRC tartyadam said that the trials queen (effectively a 2.2 rubber queen with apex inserts) didnt feel much different to a 2.4 rubber queen stability wise.

IIRC tartyadam said that the trials queen (effectively a 2.2 rubber queen with apex inserts) didnt feel much different to a 2.4 rubber queen stability wise.

Yeah, pretty close!

I've used pretty much all the lightweight rear tyres, my preference in order is:

Trial Queen

Hi Roller 2.5" Single Ply

Rubber Queen

That's not the definitive answer though, if you like to rim out a lot and use low pressures, you won't like either of the above tyres. - so stick with a Dual Ply Maxxis or Rain King/Der Kaiser.

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty close!

I've used pretty much all the lightweight rear tyres, my preference in order is:

Trial Queen

Hi Roller 2.5" Single Ply

Rubber Queen

That's not the definitive answer though, if you like to rim out a lot and use low pressures, you won't like either of the above tyres. - so stick with a Dual Ply Maxxis or Rain King/Der Kaiser.

Where would a Stiky lite go in that there sequence?

Cheers for the info people.

Having read your thoughts I think I'm going for the 2.35 DP.

Does anyone know the weight cos I don't think it says on tarty (sub 1kg I hope)

Weight weenies lists the 2.35 dual ply super tacky high roller as 1242g.

Schwalbe big betty. Under 900grams, just as good pinch protection as a dual ply maxxis and nice big tread nobbles. Cheaper than the conti's too.

Big betty is a seriously underrated tyre! Considering the weight (850g for mine), its stability and pinch protection are awesome, much better than the other light alternatives I've used (rubber queen, single ply maxxis). Its also the bounciest tyre i've ever used and really helped with my gaps and sidehops. Just a shame the compound isn't a bit softer, its not that grippy especially in the wet.

Big betty is a seriously underrated tyre! Considering the weight (850g for mine), its stability and pinch protection are awesome, much better than the other light alternatives I've used (rubber queen, single ply maxxis). Its also the bounciest tyre i've ever used and really helped with my gaps and sidehops. Just a shame the compound isn't a bit softer, its not that grippy especially in the wet.

Link anyone?

Also I need reliable measurements as my t-rex has pretty poor clearance.

EDIT: Is this it? http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Big-Betty-MTB-Off-Road-Tyres_18286.htm

EDIT 2: How much did yours cost?

Edited by CC12345678910

Link anyone?

Also I need reliable measurements as my t-rex has pretty poor clearance.

EDIT: Is this it? http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Big-Betty-MTB-Off-Road-Tyres_18286.htm

EDIT 2: How much did yours cost?

This is the one you want. The freeride 2.4 version, with the folding sidewalls, in the gooey gluey compound.

The details and chart can be seen on their website here. It fits in a t-rex no problem as i used to ride that frame.

• Like 1

This is the one you want. The freeride 2.4 version, with the folding sidewalls, in the gooey gluey compound.

The details and chart can be seen on their website here. It fits in a t-rex no problem as i used to ride that frame.

Cheers mate. If more people gave consise info like that all the time TF would be a better place ^_^

Could you tell me what the wear life is like on that soft compound in relation to something like a 42a maxxis please.

Edited by CC12345678910

I'm not sure how a tyre at that weight wouldn't be 'Single Ply', but let us know how you get on (Y)

Well i've hammered mine into all sorts of things and i've only had the one pinch puncture. I'm not the lightest of people either at around 16 stone. I tend to find my rim will dent before i get a puncture.

I'd say it's not quite as good as a dual ply maxxis, but if, for example, a maxxis is 100% puncture resistance (i know it's not, but lets just say it is for now) then this big betty is somewhere in the 85-90% range. My mountain kind 2.4 wire bead would have been around 4-6% :lol:

I'm not sure how a tyre at that weight wouldn't be 'Single Ply', but let us know how you get on (Y)

I Meant the single ply maxxis mate, sorry.

I'm hoping It'll be like the michelin rock'r I bought off you the other week but that didn't fit in my frame (N) so I sold it.

I did a couple of hops on the back wheel (with it scraping away) and it felt alright so hears hoping this big betty thing will be OK.

Well i've hammered mine into all sorts of things and i've only had the one pinch puncture. I'm not the lightest of people either at around 16 stone. I tend to find my rim will dent before i get a puncture.

I'd say it's not quite as good as a dual ply maxxis, but if, for example, a maxxis is 100% puncture resistance (i know it's not, but lets just say it is for now) then this big betty is somewhere in the 85-90% range. My mountain kind 2.4 wire bead would have been around 4-6% :lol:

Sounding good so far.

Wear rate please???

Thank you.

Edited by CC12345678910