Clean - Cleanzine.co.uk

Mark W

Cleanzine is always a good read and watch, but Ive often wondered why you use images instead of text ? Are you trying to avoid SEO? or is it that you are using some weird publishing software to write up your text ?

Originally I was using type-written and hand-written stuff, so I set the site up specifically to use images so they'd work. I gradually got fed up due to the mechanical difficulties of the type-writer and the slow-ness of my handwriting, so I switched to doing computer-written stuff. Because the back end of the website is f**ked because of my modification to it, it just doesn't really work for doing 'normal' posts. I'm trying to get a new site together which should be a big improvement though, so we'll see...

Do you mean the bit where everyone's building the bike up? If so, that's a time lapse. That one was done using a timer so the camera takes a photo every X seconds (I think that was set to 5 seconds). Once you've got all the photos done, you put them on a timeline in your video editor and set each photo to show for one frame. That makes it have that sort of look (Y)

Mark, what are your go-to camera/exposure settings? In Clean 002 there was a heck of a lot of aliasing and moire in the video. Did you use 720p at 60 fps for that video? What picture style and sharpness setting do you typically use? Just curious really since my 60D doesn't have any of these issues :)

I don't really have any 'go-to settings' for anything apart from studio photography really, it's basically just all done based on whatever's going on at the time. The picture style I use is a custom one as far as I can remember - I set it up ages ago and haven't really altered it for the past couple of years. The only constants I really have are white balancing and shooting 720/60, but that's about it really. Hadn't really noticed any of those 'issues' (and no-one really mentioned them), but thanks for the heads up.

• 10 months later...

Been some nice wee updates on there since Ian's interview.

I liked the one you wrote on the phone mark. Very jealous as I sit here in an ivory tower using MS word to cover over the bmx and trials videos I am watching.

I am very much looking forward to the Inspired video from Barca, and hope that my weekends and evenings free up a little more to get some riding done. However I think I need to start shooting more pictures...it has been far too long since I took any photos on my DSLR, nevermind of trials. I am going to put more effort into that.

Keep the blog going! More pictures please!

Cheers dude (Y) Nice use of Word too ;)

Hopefully the video won't disappoint. We didn't end up getting a monumental amount of footage due to injuries and Danny and Duncan leaving early, but there's still some cool stuff in there I think... Get shooting some photos too! If you've got your camera with you, you might as well make use of it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I think Ali switched to them just after we went to Barca, so a little while. It had been bent for a while though so I think it was more a case of happening to take some awkward direct hits (it did when it broke) rather than it just being an OMGSHITTYMAGURACHEESEIH8THEM type incident.

Seeing the bite point adjuster literally spring out of the lever body a day or two later was both entertaining and kind of frustrating. Found the 'cap' bit of it but the spring was long gone.