Can't Get Lockring Off.

matt.price

If it's skipping badly your chain might be stretched and the teeth worn down on the ring. If the teeth look like shark fins (not symmetrical) you're gonna need a new ring and chain.

To get a seized lock ring off, put your lock ring removal tool in a vice and drop the wheel onto it. Make sure everything's square and seated nice, then give the wheel a short sharp heave clockwise. 2 or 3 goes and it should shift.

If it's skipping badly your chain might be stretched and the teeth worn down on the ring. If the teeth look like shark fins (not symmetrical) you're gonna need a new ring and chain.

To get a seized lock ring off, put your lock ring removal tool in a vice and drop the wheel onto it. Make sure everything's square and seated nice, then give the wheel a short sharp heave clockwise. 2 or 3 goes and it should shift.

i dont have a lockring tool , never knew there was one :S

heres the teeth.

image010fm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I allways thought that your not supposed to take the lockrings off TR/SL freewheels?

oh maybe thats why then? even if i did open it , i cant get spares :/

getting an sl soon now , cleaned it out as much as i could and still f**ks up !

just flush it out with lots and lots of gt85 just spray it between the lockring and outer shell, works a treat on my sl

Whenever I spray GT85 / that green spray can thing from work (some Teflon stuff) or brake cleaner (by accident) in my freewheel it just locks up. I'll open it up and nothing will have moved and when I close it up its fine.

Admittedly I do need new springs soon as mine are almost worn to the point of splitting, maybe this is the issue?

• 7 months later...