Questions On: Water Bled Magura's

Today I shortened my hose and it was indeed a bitch to do. In my old pre-05 maggies this would have been a 1 minute job and I wouldn't risk gashing my finger with a stanley knife. By the way, is there an easy way to get the hose off the barbed fittings? I tried warming it up with a cigarette lighter but it didn't work very well, perhaps a hot-air gun? I'd like to know how you guys do this.

Photo0134.jpg

Photo0139.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've been running my 2011 HS33 on water for about a year and I've had very crappy results. Although the brake feels great immediately after bleeding, it leaks slowly over time, and I have to re-bleed quite regularly which is a real PITA. Not sure if this is specific to my brake or the 2011 model or all water-bled HS33 brakes, but with so many people running water bleeds it makes me wonder.

By the way, I use a 50-50 mixture of anti-freeze and tap water.

I've never had a problem with pure anti freeze, It's been 50/50 with water, I think a lot of it is luck with, anti freeze feels identical but seems to be a bit better for the internals.

I've used water/antifreeze so long that I just don't like the feel of the oil anymore. Oil will definitely give you the longest lever life, but it doesn't have the flicky return that the other fluids have.

+1 on the leaky hs33 2011... I got a new pair on warranty (3-4 weeks handeling time from magura), think its a 2 year leakfree warranty.. Water/oil it should NEVER leak...

• Like 1

i thought you were never supposed to put water into any hydraulic brake??? water is compressible (like air) where as brake fluid is not. having water in the system is nearly as bad as having air in there.

well this is the case for a motorbike anyway so i'm assuming its the same for a push bike.

you can't compress a liquid. water is liquid.

Magura (the manufacturer) say bleed it with royal blood, as thats what it should be , then bleed it with oil

if you get a babysitter to look after your baby whilst you go for a meal with the mrs... you tell the babysitter what food your baby likes and other stuff, as you know how to look after your baby... no one else does

see?

Well unless you use many many many tons of pressure ( like 1000 atmospheres) on ur brake lever (u dont/cant. It would bust) - then nobody is compressing water... And if you did... The more u compress a liquid the more like a solid it behaves. Basically ud need the weight of the sea above a very deep trench to get even close to 1000 aymospheres and still only get 10%~ compression. If ur lever is spongey its either not blead, bled! or flex from hoses/frame/levers/components etc. Not from u squashing down water....

Magura (the manufacturer) say bleed it with royal blood, as thats what it should be , then bleed it with oil

if you get a babysitter to look after your baby whilst you go for a meal with the mrs... you tell the babysitter what food your baby likes and other stuff, as you know how to look after your baby... no one else does

see?

This is an awful comparison.

• Like 2