Hope Pro 2 Evo Trials Hub

Mark W

Hope have updated the Pro 2 T for 2011, creating the Pro 2 Evo Trials hub. Still using the same basic engagement system before, with steel freehub body and beefed up hubshell, but now featuring a needle roller bearing in the freehub body as standard, and with higher quality Hope-branded bearings inside the hub itself. They also come as standard with the stronger, 8mm allen key broached axle bolts that are a load tougher than the older, 6mm versions.

large_pro2evo.jpg

large_pro2evocols.jpg

large_pro2evo5.jpg

large_pro2evo6.jpg

large_pro2evo10.gif

large_pro2evo8.jpg

large_pro2evo11.gif

• 3 weeks later...

if i bought a pro 2t earlier this year, and eventually wanted to change the bearings, are the needle bearings the same size as the roller bearings in the older models?

Nope, the new freehub body is different to accomodate the new bearings. I asked Hope this question a while ago.

So, is the ratchet still 2 pairs of claws? And is it possible to rebuild the Hub with the 12mm through-axle kit? Planned to do this a while ago, but really can't convince myself 2 claws are better than 4 at a time.. -.-

• 2 weeks later...

If pro2s used different springs and moved some stuff about could another set of 2 pawls be fitted in there to give more engagement? I am always thinking it when i am servicing mine. Has anyone else thought that?

Edited by Mikee

would make an already heavy hub heavier though. I don't really feel a lack of engagements when I am riding either. I would rather see them slim down the hub a bit instead, there is no need to have room for 6spd now the rules for comps have changed, making it a true singlespeed could save a fair lump of steel.

• Like 4

That hubshell looks dangerously similar to the ProIIt's the one before last that cracked all the time :ermm:

Hope it IS beefier :P

You mean the ones without the reinforced 'bulge' on the driveside, which these new ones clearly have?

Do that then add another 2 pawls. Then it would be 72 ep yeh? same as a king. Surely 2 more pawls wouldn't make it noticably heavier though?

Increasing the pawl count is going to increase the resistance to the wheel freewheeling, to coutner that they would have to put softer springs in. I'd rather 4 pawls.

They so should. If they make a single sprocket, wide flanged version, it'd make the wheel stiffer wouldn't it?

Plus they could move the bearings outwards and wouldn't need it to be as beefy, because the break between drive shell and hub shell would be closer to the end?

Just my thoughts. :P

would make an already heavy hub heavier though.

I agree with what you're saying - but I am shocked that it was you that said it!

Always thought you were the "if it's reliable and strong, I don't care if it adds some weight" type.

I also see that there's no need for it to be needlessly heavy and it'll only improve the product as a whole - but yeah... You surprise me :P