Define 'Trials Rider'

dave33

I see exactly where Dave is coming from, the original form of Trials Biking is certainly competition trials: getting though a section of obsticles, getting penalty points or 'dabs' for putting a foot down, generally mimicing Moto Trials on a push bike. So naturally if someone competes in these comps then are riding the original type of Bike Trials and could consider them selves a 'true' trials rider.

However, like nearly all sports eventually trials evolved into having many differnt aspects - competition, TGS, street/24", etc..

I find it funny that people can't see that if someone rides one of varients of Trials they are still a Trials rider!

For example:

Rugby union players and rugby league players are both still rugby players.

BMX street riders, BMX flatland riders, BMX vert riders, BMX park riders, BMX racing riders, etc.. are all still BMX riders.

Competition trials riders, TGS trials riders, Street trials riders, etc.. are all still 'trials riders'.

Is it really that hard to understand? Personally I think its a good thing that Trials now has so many varients, it gives the rider more choice of how they decide to ride their bike, and its all proof that trials is a growing sport :)

By the by I've only skimmed through this topic so maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here..

• Like 1

I see exactly where Dave is coming from, the original form of Trials Biking is certainly competition trials: getting though a section of obsticles, getting penalty points or 'dabs' for putting a foot down, generally mimicing Moto Trials on a push bike. So naturally if someone competes in these comps then are riding the original type of Bike Trials and could consider them selves a 'true' trials rider.

However, like nearly all sports eventually trials evolved into having many differnt aspects - competition, TGS, street/24", etc..

I find it funny that people can't see that if someone rides one of varients of Trials they are still a Trials rider!

For example:

Rugby union players and rugby league players are both still rugby players.

BMX street riders, BMX flatland riders, BMX vert riders, BMX park riders, BMX racing riders, etc.. are all still BMX riders.

Competition trials riders, TGS trials riders, Street trials riders, etc.. are all still 'trials riders'.

Is it really that hard to understand? Personally I think its a good thing that Trials now has so many varients, it gives the rider more choice of how they decide to ride their bike, and its all proof that trials is a growing sport :)

By the by I've only skimmed through this topic so maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here..

Spot on!

Me and a mate said pretty much the exact same thing!

You got lots of cool spots in wales, be cool if you could sort some comps, I wanna ride porthcawl again soon, tis mint!

Maybe make your own, winners gets free drinks all night and losers have to wash the bikes

There is definatly enough of us over here to hold a comp, just need a bunch of us to look into it. Time is evil.

The boys told me about this thread. Its fun hearing where you all think trials is and where it should be.

As for the boys not trying at demos, they wouldn't do that and i wouldn't let them! We're always pushing them and pushing their bikes with bigger drops, gaps etc. Just in the middle of building new stuff which is looking pretty scary.

Its interesting to hear the debate about what is 'trials' because looking at it from the outside, there does seem to be a bit of an identity problem with the sport. I'm more meaning from people looking from the outside. They don't really know what trials is (as aparently some of you don't :giggle: ) and because trials is so adaptable to different settings and bikes can be so different it is hard to define it. BMXes all look fairly similar for the layman, as do most mountain bikes. A 20" comp bike looks a lot different to a 26" street machine.

The way i see trials is it is the most skillful form of riding i've seen and therefore riders can cross over into all forms of riding, as proved by Danny's Edinburgh vid which has elements of freeride MTB, BMX, comp trials etc etc. So i'm wondering whether you really want to define trials as riders?

Iain (The Clan)

Edited by IainW
  • Like 1

I would need a lot of practice! I can't ride long bikes now after being on my Inspired for so long, I think I may do better on my inspired with a slightly lighter spec and grippier tyres than I would a pure comp bike.

I am not ruling out comps, but for me right now, it's not the place to be.

(sorry to dig this up, I have been away filming in London since Thursday (check out "Sing if you can" on Sat at 7.20pm ITV1 to see some incredibly cheezy stuff))

I watched a video of you and stan riding with bigman at lamorna cove in cornwall years back , you were riding a 26" compy bicycle and i was like ":o" you were amazing....and i ain't never seen you riding anything other than 24" but that's because i've only just started riding a year back ! .. i just thought i'd share ^_^

and i watched that "sing if you can" and that lady looked and sounded pretty damn scared when you were hopping over her :P