Define 'Trials Rider'

dave33

It's so incredibly pointless arguing about our own language constructs particularly when they are such general terms. The word "trials" doesn't describe some trials reality out there; it just reflects certain goings on that we can choose to highlight or not as constituting its meaning.

dave33, you're just making up a set of subjective rules and then projecting them out into the world as though you found them there. The value with which you judge other peoples style of riding is your own and therefore relative and only right for you. Basically, you're not describing reality as it is yet you seem to think you are...

• Like 5

Hmmmm lets see. Ali C is one of the most proment riders around in the UK why else would Inspired bicycles ask him to develop there new 26" street TRIALS bike also his riding got him a slot in the Gatorade advert!!

Danny Macaskill THE most well known rider in the world right now! Nearly 25 million views cant be argued with.

He has made national news papers, and Volkswagon one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world want him to promote their wears. Cant be bad,

Kenny beleay as you describe A "REAL" trials rider also appeared in the adidas

Advert riding a 24" STREET bike!

Now i maybe wrong but these examples has brought trials into the public eye in a positive way rather than the moody Douche bags in the high street with a tape measure next to a wall then getting the hump when (some) people ask them to move on politely then that is NOT good for our sport! Call it what you want but it is down to the individual what they define is trials as and if that is what they enjoy more to them! Rant over!

• Like 1

Hmmmm lets see. Ali C is one of the most proment riders around in the UK why else would Inspired bicycles ask him to develop there new 26" street TRIALS bike also his riding got him a slot in the Gatorade advert!!

Danny Macaskill THE most well known rider in the world right now! Nearly 25 million views cant be argued with.

He has made national news papers, and Volkswagon one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world want him to promote their wears. Cant be bad,

Kenny beleay as you describe A "REAL" trials rider also appeared in the adidas

Advert riding a 24" STREET bike!

Now i maybe wrong but these examples has brought trials into the public eye in a positive way rather than the moody Douche bags in the high street with a tape measure next to a wall then getting the hump when (some) people ask them to move on politely then that is NOT good for our sport! Call it what you want but it is down to the individual what they define is trials as and if that is what they enjoy more to them! Rant over!

if im right kenny said in one of his documentary that yes the whole 24 inch thing is brilliant but is not trials..

Are you interested in real trials riders or just people who ride street? When I say real trials I would say these are riders who compete in the sport!

Are you for real?

Trials riding starting off with comps, but it has advanced into being a variety of styles. Competition Natural, Competition Street, Natural, Street TGS, Street varied, and then just anyway you want to ride.

To define a trials rider would be to say: Someone who rides bike that is fitted with a small front cog, has a bashring and rides over obstacles.

Ali I really don't think I'm a real trials rider, I do how never think people like Ben Savage is as I said before

And as for demo ridding no I don't think you put 100 percent of effort in!

Do you fancy doing some demos in all types of weather repeating the same tricks over and over for 20/30 minutes anything up to 8 times or so a day and then try claiming that we demo riders do not 100% effort in.

Demo's are about entertaining a crowd, so there is no need to go really big and push ourselves. The crowd will be just as impressed with a rider getting on to a 3 foot platform as they would 4 foot, so why do the 4 foot? All your doing is making it harder work for yourself and also restricting what you can do in wet weather.

Seriously think you should have thought about starting this thread before submitting it.

Think this thread alone should earn you a 24 hour ban or something.

Utterly pointless and pathetic.

• Like 1

I can't help but think a lot of Danny Macaskill's popularity is because he shuts the f**k up and just get's on with riding...whatever it is you'd like to call his riding.

If people stop me when i'm riding and ask what type of bike i ride/what the riding i do is called (i ride an Inspired for reference) i now find it genuinely difficult to answer as if this debate here is what trials boils down to then i don't want to be a part of it in the slightest.

I'm not going to romanticise about the past but honestly i can remember a time when people just rode any bike, mod, stock, mini-xc frame, anything and just all rode together for a love of the sport. I think this argument is a sad, sorry example of the way people feel the need to classify everything they do, and the need to differentiate in order to gain superiority.

I can say from the bottom of my heart to those that feel the need to categorise this sport - you are some sad ass f**ks.

*Inserts generic comment about going out on my bike as i'm better than everyone comment, when in reality i'm probably just going to look at some tits or something - maybe the odd willy, dunno yet?*

• Like 2

I can't help but think a lot of Danny Macaskill's popularity is because he shuts the f**k up and just get's on with riding...whatever it is you'd like to call his riding.

If people stop me when i'm riding and ask what type of bike i ride/what the riding i do is called (i ride an Inspired for reference) i now find it genuinely difficult to answer as if this debate here is what trials boils down to then i don't want to be a part of it in the slightest.

I'm not going to romanticise about the past but honestly i can remember a time when people just rode any bike, mod, stock, mini-xc frame, anything and just all rode together for a love of the sport. I think this argument is a sad, sorry example of the way people feel the need to classify everything they do, and the need to differentiate in order to gain superiority.

I can say from the bottom of my heart to those that feel the need to categorise this sport - you are some sad ass f**ks.

*Inserts generic comment about going out on my bike as i'm better than everyone comment, when in reality i'm probably just going to look at some tits or something - maybe the odd willy, dunno yet?*

Unfortunately Matthew, it seems that the majority of the active forum members are newbies. In the sense that they never went through the changes that we did that have happened to bike trials advancements with frames and parts. I was riding trials for 4 years on 16" and 14" xc frames with FSA Power Pro cranks before I got my first trials specific geo frame (Echo Control).

Like you say, for us, it was the love and passion we had to be doing something unique and fun. Know one cared about how you rode or what you rode, it was all about going out with your mates for the day or evening and just having fun.

Don't worry there are some younger riders who just want to ride their bikes and not argue like some tools do and who have a passion for the sport like you older guys. :) I don't really see the point in this thread really can we not just leave it at, we all ride different styles of riding so can't we just get on with it, you can't really define what a trials rider is because there are so many different styles as mentioned earlier in the thread, Kenny Belaey is a good example of a rider at the top level of comp trials but he still rides a 24 inch like a experienced smooth manualing street rider. Your still classed as a Mountain biker if you ride XC, Freeride, Downhill, dirt jumping and 4X so why can't people who ride street trials, TGS, comps and natural be classed as Trials Riders?

• Like 1

if you where in the street, riding your trials bike practicing for a comp and someone came to you and asked what you where doing, i can garentee you and everyone on here will say they are practicing trials! but surely if you are going by your opinion and saying that riding in the street isnt riding trials then surely you wont be practicing trials in the street? your opinion is completely wrong and all the gramatic terms for trials nust be wrong aswell ? haha

just shut the f**k up and stop digging your self a bigger hole!

chris

For me, trials is taking the raw elements of bike control and applying them to various situations. That could be a set of rocks, concrete pipes, benches or whatever, but getting across whatever 'section' you've decided upon in the best way you see fit.

The problem lies when people don't think this is able to include other influences (or, for many people, when they see a rider moving faster than 2mph or having a seat on their bike). If you've got up the 4ft wall and across the 8ft gap, why not throw in a spin here and there, or whip the brakes off and see if you can do it without?!

Get out and have fun on your bike and if someone else is doing just that but in a slightly different way to you then so what? Fair play to them and keep at it.

I'm just laughing at the reactions, I'm not narrow minded, I was expecting Ali to say performer/entertainer or some thing along those lines, after all that's what he does! Gets paid to entertain people !!

I'd say Ben Savage if you wanted to capture the athlete/rider aspect of it all

Ben Slinger

Danny Butler

http://www.trialsdisplay.co.uk/

Ben Savage

Sam Oliver

You

http://www.savageskills.co.uk/

So lets get this right, Ali is an "entertainer" because he does demo events, yet you do..... but your still a "real rider" your deluded.

Demo's and events is the only way to get paid to ride without serious sponsorship, which you should know seeing as you do them....

So all the guys in the list above and all the riders who do demos (all world riders included) aren't real riders... because they don't compete when they perform.

Your a doosh, so I've never been a trials rider because I didn't have a Mummy or Daddy who brought me mint bikes, and drove me across the UK to competitions, or could pay all my entrance and insurance fees?

Edited by Simpson
  • Like 4

Dave, saying I don't put 100% into my demos without even watching one is pretty outrageous!

Since doing shows I have pushed myself, I'll do stuff in shows I am scared of doing and wouldn't do normally (backflips off the 1ft kicker ramp, 11ft drops, balance beams, 360 drops and tyre taps off some of the higher boxes)

You know riders were styling things up back in the 90s? Back when they had bikes that were more than just expensive pogosticks, back when Akkers used to win the british champs on a bike that these days would be considered a pure street bike. He won comps AND made it look good. If I now entered a comp and manualed in sections, did x-ups and spins, would I then be a "real" trials rider?

That would be awesome!

Comps wouldn't look so gay then.

Ali- I think your comment about everyone in South Wales being retarded is a bit out of order, I also think that the other six that +1n'd it should come down for a ride, most of us ride for shits and giggles and are not 'serious' at all about it which is why we don't enter comps.

Let's get it straight, I simply asked what type of rider they guy was looking to film!

Be it a rider who competes or a rider who rides street!!

Maybe using the words real trials rider wasn't a good idea! Bad choice of words!!

No where have I said I'm good at ridding a bike!!

No where have I said that Ali c is shit, I think I said he's very talented, which he is!

Yes I did say 100% dosnt go into demo ridding, as perfectly described by nick! Butvyes Ali I can see your point, maybe you get a buzz from the crowd and it pushed to do some more scary things! But you would have practiced before and be confident you can make it!

As for me being narrow minded, I don't think I am! Maybe the fact that I have an opinion which differs from most of you on here ad you call me retarded now that seems narrow minded!

As for demos. Yea I ride them not for money really, yes it's nice to get paid! But I have a decent job as an engineer so I get paid Plenty. Just because I enjoy them!!

I also ride mtb and road bike for enjoyment and often fit myself track standing at the traffic lights while the other unclip!

they call that trials!!

Just boils down to how you look at it

That would be awesome!

Comps wouldn't look so gay then.

The first comp I went to with Ali was when he didn't really give a shit about winning it, but ended up cleaning a section before everyone else by wheelieing across a slanted, slippery rock that everyone else was trying (and failing) to vibrate over...