Define 'Trials Rider'

dave33

Yes I did say 100% dosnt go into demo ridding, as perfectly described by nick!

From hearing about Ali's stuff from demos, and Ali trying new stuff in demos, it seems there might be a bit of a difference of opinion between the two of them...

Mark that just shows how good he is! The section was probly way to easy for him, but that's not his fault. But I bet they didnt say we can take some point off for style...

Just the same as Gilles coustiller hooking a 7 foot log like it was a bump on the floor when no one else could get near it!!

Just shows that Ali now uses the style he rider to good measure to entertain people and make people say whoo that was kool!!

And Gilles just rides the way he does to win comps, mostly for enjoyment I guess

Let's get it straight, I simply asked what type of rider they guy was looking to film!

Be it a rider who competes or a rider who rides street!!

Maybe using the words real trials rider wasn't a good idea! Bad choice of words!!

No where have I said I'm good at ridding a bike!!

No where have I said that Ali c is shit, I think I said he's very talented, which he is!

Yes I did say 100% dosnt go into demo ridding, as perfectly described by nick! Butvyes Ali I can see your point, maybe you get a buzz from the crowd and it pushed to do some more scary things! But you would have practiced before and be confident you can make it!

As for me being narrow minded, I don't think I am! Maybe the fact that I have an opinion which differs from most of you on here ad you call me retarded now that seems narrow minded!

As for demos. Yea I ride them not for money really, yes it's nice to get paid! But I have a decent job as an engineer so I get paid Plenty. Just because I enjoy them!!

I also ride mtb and road bike for enjoyment and often fit myself track standing at the traffic lights while the other unclip!

they call that trials!!

Just boils down to how you look at it

You think ali would bother riding demos if he didnt enjoy them? ...

Mark that just shows how good he is! The section was probly way to easy for him, but that's not his fault. But I bet they didnt say we can take some point off for style...

Just the same as Gilles coustiller hooking a 7 foot log like it was a bump on the floor when no one else could get near it!!

Just shows that Ali now uses the style he rider to good measure to entertain people and make people say whoo that was kool!!

And Gilles just rides the way he does to win comps, mostly for enjoyment I guess

Ali rides mostly for enjoyment aswell I guess....and im sure he likes it when people say whoo that was kool!! as someone came up to me and said "that was amazing" and it makes you feel special and flufffy inside

ANYWAY what am i supposed to tell my gran when she asks me "what's your favourite sport"....personally i'd say "trials" so that i could do with out a lond drawn out explanation....and also that's what i consider myself doing for hours on end...

You think ali would bother riding demos if he didnt enjoy them? ...

Ali rides mostly for enjoyment aswell I guess....and im sure he likes it when people say whoo that was kool!! as someone came up to me and said "that was amazing" and it makes you feel special and flufffy inside

ANYWAY what am i supposed to tell my gran when she asks me "what's your favourite sport"....personally i'd say "trials" so that i could do with out a lond drawn out explanation....and also that's what i consider myself doing for hours on end...

I love that feeling...

Edited by F.N.G

All the top riders don't spend hours and hours and hours training to go to a comp and have fun. They do it to go there and win.... Stop trying to make out competitions are light hearted banter and the winner doesn't matter. Because we all know that thats total bullshit

Stop trying to make out competitions are light hearted banter and the winner doesn't matter. Because we all know that thats total bullshit

It depends on the comp really. 99% of Hampshire comps were more about having fun and riding than winning. There are occasionally those who take it too seriously but I'm sure that's the same with most amateur sports. Obviously when you get to National, International comps etc. everyone's there taking it seriously but for the more localised club events the majority will be there for fun.

Anyway, it's all about Fluffy Bunny points at comps :bunny:

Well I never said that Ali didn't enjoy ridding, don't think he would do it unless!

There is a slight difference between club and world level of course they will take it seriously, and they must also enjoy it, not as if they get big £ for winning!!

Look at kenny has to ride demos most of the year when at times he can't go to a comp, he's gotta pay the bills!!

Yes I like the feeling when you impress some one!

Just tell her all about bike trials and the different styles/types and I'm sure she will get it! But as she as no knowledge of the sport she might not see a difference

I think the thing is that you've told people that they're not 'trials riders', when that's either exactly what they think they are or that's the best fitting genre to put their riding into.

To go back to the football example a little, it's like saying that the kids in the park who are having a kick about for fun aren't playing football because they're not kicking a ball about for a club.

They might not be a professional footballer, but they play football so to some extent they are, certainly, a footballer. Right?

Just because someone isn't competing at every opportunity doesn't mean they aren't a trials rider, purely that they may not be a competition trials rider.

Taking that to the extremes with the standard Danny Mac example - yes, his riding has perhaps gone further from the beaten path than most, but he still rides with trials influences in there as you can see really clearly in Way Back Home. Yes, there are loads of other influences in there too coming from MTB/BMX styles etc, but there's a bit of trials in there. Is he only a trials rider for the half a second he's pedal kicking across a gap, or is he a trials rider, street rider, MTB rider etc all thrown into one (rather awesome) rider?

Yes, people take part in different aspects of trials riding at different levels and in totally different ways at times, but that's not to say that any one person isn't a trials rider purely because they're not doing it on mossy wet rocks between rolls of tape.

As a matter of interest how old is/are you dave33?

Also i presume from your strong views on competition riding that you do ride comps yourself...which you consider proper/authentic/real/damn-f**king-good/ trials? If this is so, you are certainly by no means an ambassador or promoter of the sport and i certainly don't think you're helping with it's lack of appeal.

If you're so devout to true trials, why not put some time in to supporting and encouraging it's growth as opposed to alienating the world of competition trials. I've never competed myself, but if you're any reflection of the comp scene then my god i would not even be slightly interested in giving it a go.

P.S. In case it wasn't clear - i think you are a dick.

• Like 2