Ridden.it

GlynnP

Hey,

For my major project at Uni I am building a web site which allows people to add riding spots to a map to help other riders. Each spot can have feedback, ratings and photos left on it to info other riders who may not have visited the location before.

The site is still in beta mode so there are issues with it and i am still working every day on it. I didn't ideally want to out the site live yet as I wanted it to be perfect before I open it for use. By I have been running behind a little but as it does with this scale of projects so now I am opening up the beta version to people on this forum and a few other mates within other riding aspects. I want to open it up as I have kept it quite close to my chest up until now with only input from a few others and now I am looking to get people signed up and see what they feel I could improve.

This is partly for me so after my hand in I can carry on working on this and make it the best possible experience for users and also partly for my uni as they would like to see people using the site and also hear what feedback I have gathered.

Known issues at the moment I dont need feedback about are, IE issues (its crap and I will be fixing it for IE soon), content wise im not the best with wording so I am getting someone to write the content for me which isn't user generated.

Basically please use it enjoy it and let me know what you think good or bad.

EDIT

Ridden.it is now online at the address: www.ridden.it

The site is in beta mode for the next month in order for me to collect feedback on what could improve the experience. After this period I will make any upgrades for the next release.

I hope you all carry on enjoy the site and I can improve the site for you ready for the summer in June. Please keep the feedback coming so I can work out what users want to see form the site.

Thanks for all your help.

Glynn

Edited by GlynnP

Really great site, but you've asked for bugs/suggestions so I'll give 'em:

- In your 'All Spots, Bmx, Trials' etc menu, the sub menu for Trials is 'Both, Park, Street' - I assume this has come from the BMX one but worth noting.

- Could you make it so that you organise spots into a group? For instance, if I'm going to add different Croydon spots it'd make sense to be able to put them in a Croydon group, into which I could insert Fairfield Halls, Council Buildings, Courts, etc. No point in just having a spot called 'Croydon' that doesn't specifically say where's good to ride, because you'll just end up with a bunch of towns people ride in. On the other hand, it'll become properly messy if I put in 10 spots for Croydon without a group.

- The whole 'Become a Local' thing is a good idea, but it won't really work without those groups I don't think - otherwise I'm going to have used up all my local spots just in Croydon, while I'd say I'm still in London enough to be a local there.

That was too longwinded, but I hope it makes sense.

Thanks JD,

Great reply and really helps. Can you explain what you mean about the sub menu a bit more? Im a little lost on that one. I have noticed there is a problem with it and am working on it now but not sure if its the same one you are explaining.

The other ideas are great. Unfortunately the idea of groups I wouldn't be able to implement in time for my hand in, but I will seriously consider using this in a later release of the site.

Thanks

Great reply and really helps. Can you explain what you mean about the sub menu a bit more?

I'm trying to find it again, but I cant. On one of the pages I was on though (and I didn't realise it wasn't on every page) the sub menu when I clicked on Trials wasn't 'Both, Natural, Street', it was 'Both, Park, Street'. By no means a biggy, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Are you able to add streetview to the maps, or is that a bit much? Might be handy for people to 'have a look around' a spot before they go there to see if it's to their liking.

Cheers, I am working on the menus as we speak anyway so I am sure it will pop up.

Street view is on the maps ;) just drag the little yellow man onto it. Granted its not the best of the spots profile page as the map is small so maybe I will make a way of making it bigger.

Cheers, I am working on the menus as we speak anyway so I am sure it will pop up.

Street view is on the maps ;) just drag the little yellow man onto it. Granted its not the best of the spots profile page as the map is small so maybe I will make a way of making it bigger.

Dunno how I missed that. I'll shut up until I've woken up a bit :P

I'm trying to find it again, but I cant. On one of the pages I was on though (and I didn't realise it wasn't on every page) the sub menu when I clicked on Trials wasn't 'Both, Natural, Street', it was 'Both, Park, Street'. By no means a biggy, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Found this now and fixed it thanks :)

A Beta version of the iPhone site is now online, You should get redirected to it when you visit the site using an iPhone.

The iPhone site allows you to search for spots by name or location whilst out on road trips.

It also allows you to add a new spot whilst out riding with the "Find My Location" feature which will work your current location and add a spot to this location.

For all you fancy gadget / apple show off's ;) the site has also been optimised to work on the iPad.

Thanks

Just to say, i always i wanted to do something like this, but never got around to it.

My idea was to also create a calender, then base rides from locations added to map so people know exactly where to meet and so on. This was before Facebook took off, so had the idea to attend the ride, then after the ride you was asked if you did actually attend, and if so to quickly review the spots you went.

Super nice idea, and very well executed, you'll go far in the web industry. :)

Super nice idea, and very well executed, you'll go far in the web industry. :)

Thanks Simon :) Thats awesome, great to hear it from someone who has worked in the industry for awhile now and when I used to use TF more often than I get a chance to now I always used to look at your comments about web development and take o board what you say.

I had the idea as well to incorporate a calendar for events and rides. I didn't for two main reasons as you said I didn't want to try and compete with Facebook or TF and secondly for not wanting to say at the start I would try and do too many things and then have to leave things out for my hand in.

I have plans for the future if people like and use the site to try and establish some links with people from the cycling market to try and work out a way of establishing events into the site. My vision would be more for larger events though rather than just the typical "Im going to be riding at bla bla on saturday who wants to join?" . I was thinking maybe more about providing a premium service for people who want to host events such as Tarty days, Bike show, Dj Rides and so on.

Which reminds me I would like to say a big thanks to all the people who have given up any of their time to help from suggesting ideas at the start through to testing the site now and even just encouraging the idea and believing in it. So thanks to Nick Wood, Rich Pearson, James Porter, George Holland and all the guys at Tarty. (If I missed anyone then I am sure you know your advise and help has been greatly received).

Street view doesn't always allow good pictures of spots. Sometimes the spot's at an angle from the road, sometimes it's behind a tree or away from the road, sometimes there's no road anywhere near it.

What if you could upload or link pictures to a location? You could have pictures of the location or pictures of riding from the location so you knew what was there and what was possible?

It might need a bigger server, perhaps something to consider for a release candidate?

I can't see the map :S is it because i need some java thing?

if so can you link to where i can download it, site looks good

and do you ride , because there's quite a few of us that ride and live near to liskeard and i've never heard nor seen you ?

Edited by liam n

What if you could upload or link pictures to a location? You could have pictures of the location or pictures of riding from the location so you knew what was there and what was possible?

It might need a bigger server, perhaps something to consider for a release candidate?

Hi, Yeah you can upload photos of the locations. When on the location profile it gives you the option to upload photos.

I can't see the map :S is it because i need some java thing?

if so can you link to where i can download it, site looks good

and do you ride , because there's quite a few of us that ride and live near to liskeard and i've never heard nor seen you ?

Hi Liam, this site does require a lot of jaba because the maps wont run without java. only something like 2% of computers dont have java enabled when browsing the internet. I will put a link into the site soon if javascript isn't enabled.

I dont ride trials soo much any more as other commitments have taken over. I used to live in higher tremar near st.cleer or minions but now I am at uni in Bournemouth and as of next month I am moving to London to start a new job.

I used to ride sometimes with people in plymouth and liskeard like Matt Pengelly in liskeard. But I mainly rode with two amazing riders James Ritchie and Ross tucker who dispite being amazing have done well at keeping out of all of this side of trials and just ride to have fun and ride how they want. Mainly used to ride natural up at minions every weekend.

Hi Liam, this site does require a lot of jaba because the maps wont run without java. only something like 2% of computers dont have java enabled when browsing the internet. I will put a link into the site soon if javascript isn't enabled.

I dont ride trials soo much any more as other commitments have taken over. I used to live in higher tremar near st.cleer or minions but now I am at uni in Bournemouth and as of next month I am moving to London to start a new job.

I used to ride sometimes with people in plymouth and liskeard like Matt Pengelly in liskeard. But I mainly rode with two amazing riders James Ritchie and Ross tucker who dispite being amazing have done well at keeping out of all of this side of trials and just ride to have fun and ride how they want. Mainly used to ride natural up at minions every weekend.

i can't seem to get java going for some reason I shall try though this site looks really good :)

oh, i ride with matt sometimes, however i've never heard of those two! :P minions is amazing, must have been great living close enough to go there each weekend....it's a shame you don't ride anymore , would have been good to have/keep another rider in the southwest...Good luck with your new job I wish you all the best! :P

A Beta version of the iPhone site is now online, You should get redirected to it when you visit the site using an iPhone.

The iPhone site allows you to search for spots by name or location whilst out on road trips.

It also allows you to add a new spot whilst out riding with the "Find My Location" feature which will work your current location and add a spot to this location.

For all you fancy gadget / apple show off's ;) the site has also been optimised to work on the iPad.

Thanks

What do I type in on my app search for this to come up?

What do I type in on my app search for this to come up?

Hey, Its not an actual app it is just a website which has been optimised to work for iPad and iPhone. So when you access the site on your phone it works better than a standard site. This means the site has reduced loading times, only shows the content you need to see when on a phone and has been produced in a simple and clean layout with big features which are easy to use.

i can't seem to get java going for some reason I shall try though this site looks really good :)

oh, i ride with matt sometimes, however i've never heard of those two! :P minions is amazing, must have been great living close enough to go there each weekend....it's a shame you don't ride anymore , would have been good to have/keep another rider in the southwest...Good luck with your new job I wish you all the best! :P

Hi Liam, which browser are you using? try and help me identify the problem.

Hi Liam, which browser are you using? try and help me identify the problem.

I'm using internet explorer, i think it maybe just me not doing certain settings,according to java you go "tools - internet option - enable java"

yet there is no enable java for me, i shall try and download/re install java now :)

I will look at how you do it in IE later when I am using a windows machine. You could also try using a better browser, IE sucks, try Google Chrome or a Firefox.

Saying that I still need to look into why its not working, I havn't fully tested in IE yet.

Cheers

I will look at how you do it in IE later when I am using a windows machine. You could also try using a better browser, IE sucks, try Google Chrome or a Firefox.

Saying that I still need to look into why its not working, I havn't fully tested in IE yet.

Cheers

ah right well i've re installed java and removed old versions , java is working but i still can't see the map on your website :S...oh i didn't realise they were better, how are they better just speed ?.....i'm gunna get google chrome now :)

EDIT: just installed google chrome, thanks for the tip, it's a hell of a lot faster...been on your site and the map is now showing up so it may well be a problem with IE...added some spots made a profile etc, so far i'm impressed looks really easy to use and will be very useful!

Edited by liam n

Nice one Liam. They are just better browsers in so many ways the list is endless. :)

I have tested on a few versions of iE and the has been fine, do you know what version of IE it is you should be able to find out by going to help and then to about. (I think thats how you do it). Like I said I will look at it on my laptop tomorrow as well see if I get any issues.

Glad you are enjoying the site and your new browser. The tor that you live next to looks awesome, Cant believe I lived about 15 mins away all my life until now and never visited it. But I guess Bodmin Moor is soo big that I never had a need as minions is very similar.

Cheers

Really like this site. I've added a few spots.

Interested to see what it looks like on a mobile device which i'll try later.

It's already allowed me to find a new spot for this weekend!

Been watching you like a stalker as you have been adding this morning :)

Glad you like it, for now the mobile devices are only iPhone,, Ipod touch and iPad. I have plans to extend this to android and other smart phones at a later date, if you dont have an iPhone.

Glad you like the site its great to hear such positive feedback at such an early stage of the site only being in beta mode.

Many Thanks to everyone, keep plotting :D