Ridden.it

GlynnP

Yeah i was referring to iPad use.

When i'm not at work i'll be sure to add a whole bunch more spots, just wanted a little play for now to see how it all worked.

It's nice to see this type of thing done well and with a clean interface that's engaging.

Yeah i was referring to iPad use.

When i'm not at work i'll be sure to add a whole bunch more spots, just wanted a little play for now to see how it all worked.

It's nice to see this type of thing done well and with a clean interface that's engaging.

Thats awesome, any feedback you have about the iPad use would be greatly appreciated. As of now I have only tested it quickly on my mates iPad but will be doing more intensive testing over the next couple of days so let me know if you find anything you think could be improved.

Ridden.it is now online at the address: www.ridden.it

The site is in beta mode for the next month in order for me to collect feedback on what could improve the experience. After this period I will make any upgrades for the next release.

I hope you all carry on enjoy the site and I can improve the site for you ready for the summer in June. Please keep the feedback coming so I can work out what users want to see form the site.

EDIT

Just ignore anything add by Mik Parsons and James Jordan. They are my lecturers just marking it.

Hopefully I can delete their input soon

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by GlynnP

Fantastic site, congrats for actually doing it and doing it well.

Have you considered using markerclusterer? Once you're into a few hundred markers, the JSON really starts to add up.

I look forward to giving this a try

Fantastic site, congrats for actually doing it and doing it well.

Have you considered using markerclusterer? Once you're into a few hundred markers, the JSON really starts to add up.

I look forward to giving this a try

Thanks, I am glad people are liking it.

I did think about it at the start but thought for now to just keep normal markers until It becomes cluttered and then figure out a way of using it but keeping the the riding styles separate and being able to wittle it down so you can see single points.

Seriously considering it.

Thanks

Glynn

post-15043-0-96054100-1305299322_thumb.j

Also there's no back button for the filling in a new spot form thing.

Firefox 4.0.1, W7.

Thanks for that. Did you go back and then forward or anything like that or did you get to this page in the standard way of just being through each step?

I did used to get this error but I fixed it so would be helpful to know how you go to this.

Thanks for your help and input.

JD I do want to add in a section which tells you who added the spot and in all honesty its just something which I forgot about in the rush to hand in. Once I am allowed to edit the site again I will be adding this feature in :)

Thanks for that. Did you go back and then forward or anything like that or did you get to this page in the standard way of just being through each step?

I did used to get this error but I fixed it so would be helpful to know how you go to this.

Just clicked through the options. I realised I left the name blank, and that's when I realised I couldn't go back and edit it.

Perhaps a little code to stop you entering no name? Like you get on password fields or what have you.

Thanks Revolver,

Yeah, that is my fault it was meant to go but it must have got misse don the upload and the rush, which is a shame because its such an easy feature.

As soon as I get the go ahead things like this will be sorted, all part of a testing period I guess :)

Hi Glynn, I've put a marker down which was nice and simple, very impressed! afterwards I noticed I could become a local at upto 4 spots, clicked on 'become a local' which brings up the 'your local spots' popup but the 'add local spots' buttons are incomplete, they appear as thin lines instead of rectangles so the words cannot be read. I'm using chrome smile.gif

Hi Glynn, I've put a marker down which was nice and simple, very impressed! afterwards I noticed I could become a local at upto 4 spots, clicked on 'become a local' which brings up the 'your local spots' popup but the 'add local spots' buttons are incomplete, they appear as thin lines instead of rectangles so the words cannot be read. I'm using chrome smile.gif

Hey Joe cheers for that. Any chance you can get a screen shoot of that? Would really help me to diagnose the issue.

Hope all is good with you.

Much better after today, here you go smile.gif

ridden.png

Cheers Joe.

It doesnt seem to do that in Chrome on a Mac but there are a few other issues anyway. Once I am allowed to edit the site I will get that fixed for you

The login button on the top doesn't work for me. The screen dulls and it brings up a thin rectangle box but nothing else. You can barely see it it's that small.

The bottom login button works.

Also, new spots box - 'A php error was encountered' in blue, 'Severity: Notice

Filename: views/home.php

Line Number: 80'

in grey.

Also, when I logged in, and then I tried to search for nottingham, it zoomed in but before it refined the zoom it returned me to the login screen and said my login details were wrong.

when switching between trials and downhill and bmx it resets the map to the view of the whole island.

Adding a new spot seems to be a little bit of a faff.. You can't just right click on the map and click add a new spot, you have to type in a location and then move the marker.

Edited by Revolver

Thanks Revolver. What browser are you using?

This is why i am a bit gutted I didn't have enough time for user testing because it would have picked up all these bugs. THanks for your help.

Also I dont personally think adding a spot is that much of a faff. I did do some user research into the easiest way to add it and most people said they prefer being able to search for the city or place as if its not a big place just click on the map isn't easy to find the place. Maybe I could do both ways, What do people think?

Thanks

Glynn

Firefox 4.0.1

Yeah, it's not so hard but you can't navigate to a place and then put in a marker, you have to type a place in, and then it puts the marker at that place so you have to move it.

If you could search, and then you click on the spot to place the marker, that would work too.

I hope I'm not making a load of work for you :P

Maybe I could do both ways, What do people think?

Both ways is always going to be better/please most people. However, I think the current system works really well, I'm pretty sure I would spend more time/effort zooming/scrolling around the map to find a location than I did typing it and hitting enter.

Both ways is always going to be better/please most people. However, I think the current system works really well, I'm pretty sure I would spend more time/effort zooming/scrolling around the map to find a location than I did typing it and hitting enter.

What if you don't know the address? :P

I know where the amphitheatre in Nottingham is, but I don't know the name of the road, so all I can do is type in a near road and drag the marker. If you could right click and say 'place marker here' that would be great! It would also work for natural trials spots, which aren't on roads.

From the feedback I received before building the beta was the same as Adam. Although I didn't ask as many people as I would have liked.

The point in the search feature is to do that exact same thing as you want to do Revolver. So you could search Nottingham and then you just have to drag the marker to the amphitheatre.

I dont see how this is any different to having to zoom into Nottingham and then find the amphitheatre and then click and add marker.

I do understand where you are coming from though so I will try it but I have a feeling more people will prefer the current way.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Joel

Sorry only just seen this, really busy moving to London for new job. I got 74 (1st) for the project and 67.5 (2:1) overall. Pretty happy with that, Did I speak to you? Dont remember speaking to anyone who knew why my bike had no seat (mind you it was all a blur the amount of people i spoke to and rattled on).

My uni have also put me and this project forward for a british interactive media association award in the student category under effectiveness as they feel it will benefit the riding community. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if people can sign up and add spots and comment on other peoples that would help me massively. This will mean the world to me if I am lucky enough to be shortlisted. SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT :D

Thanks

Glynn

Edited by GlynnP

• 1 month later...

Firstly, the log in button on the top bar doesn't seem to work (firefox 6).

Secondly regarding this topic here, might it be possible to find out what riders live in a given area?

Additionally it would be good if rather than having to click 'become a local to' all spots in your vicinity show you as local to it. Maybe you could replace the existing 'become a local to' as a means to favourite a spot?