Magura Hs33 Problem...help Please!

I was riding around on my bike earlier, pulled the back brake and something felt like it gave and clicked. The brake then became very spongy and crap!

I've looked at the brake and had it apart. The left hand cylinder works fine but the right hand cylinder seems to have problems in moving the pad and the piston doesn't move at all/very little....is this classed as a sticky piston?

It is easy enough to fix?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Chris

Does sound like you've got a sticky piston, but it doesn't explain the clicking feeling your lever gave. Hold the working piston in, whilst pulling the lever, this should push the sticky piston out. Give it a thorough clean a tiny bit of oil or silicone lube and cycle it in and out for a bit. Should free it up. If a sticky piston is your problem that is...

Edited by craigjames

The click reminds me of my '04 lever that made that noise once the TPA had broken. Could it be no?

Possibly but to be honest it has been seized for a while... How could I tell?

Does sound like you've got a sticky piston, but it doesn't explain the clicking feeling your lever gave. Hold the working piston in, whilst pulling the lever, this should push the sticky piston out. Give it a thorough clean a tiny bit of oil or silicone lube and cycle it in and out for a bit. Should free it up. If a sticky piston is your problem that is...

Thanks I'll try that now

Helpfull, "lol"

Have you got a bleed kit to save the hassle of taking the brake off the bike to bleed it?

No unfortunately not but the brakes are already off anyway

As provided to us by the ever helpful revolver:

Thanks for that ive spoken to him and think I have it sussed

It's thinner than Magura blood/mineral oil so gives a lighter lever feel and a more responsive brake.

cool ;)

and it's free

just wondering: would distilled water be even better?

Edited by Tioz

Right, progress update...

I've followed advice and bled the brake and installed a new TPA and unfortunately neither of which have worked.

The right hand side slave piston is unstuck but seems very slow and lazy and the brake lever is unresponsive, spongy and almost light feeling when you pull on it. There is no definitive "thud" feeling like I used to get when the right hand pad hits the rim and it just generally feels like nothing is happening when I pull on the lever.

Could it be an air leak or something or would fluid pour out if this were the case? I'm pretty sure that the slave piston is a factor (but I'm sure it was always slow) but it still doesn't explain the feeling of something not right when you pull the lever....or does it?

Any ideas guys before I box it up and send it off the experts?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Get the slow piston out as far as you can with the lever, then pull it out a bit more (carefully!) with some pliers or slimiler. Chuck some oil on it, and use the lever to keep moving it in an out, it should free up pretty quick.

To be fair though, it sounds like a shocking bleed as well. They take a little while to get right, so I always used to do a few repeats every time I did it in the early days. You'll know if you've got a leak that goes from good bleed to spongey in moments, water will spray out.

Get the slow piston out as far as you can with the lever, then pull it out a bit more (carefully!) with some pliers or slimiler. Chuck some oil on it, and use the lever to keep moving it in an out, it should free up pretty quick.

To be fair though, it sounds like a shocking bleed as well. They take a little while to get right, so I always used to do a few repeats every time I did it in the early days. You'll know if you've got a leak that goes from good bleed to spongey in moments, water will spray out.

Any bleeding tips? What could I be doing wrong? 50ml went through the systemt without any bubbles

Edited by kaybs41282

Any bleeding tips? What could I be doing wrong? 50ml went through the systemt without any bubbles

I assume you weren't bath bleeding, so first off the simple option is to do that - it's pretty tough to get it wrong!

If you wanna carry on with a syringe bleed then make sure you're bleeding from bottom to top, the lever is level. When I was paranoid about technique I'd push through a quick syringe worth, to sort of 'blow' any air out, then a slow syringe worth while tapping basically every part of the system, then another slow syringe worth just to check nothing's coming out.

Oh, and the exit tube from the lever I generally submerge in water too, for extra piece of mind when you're refilling syringe.

I assume you weren't bath bleeding, so first off the simple option is to do that - it's pretty tough to get it wrong!

If you wanna carry on with a syringe bleed then make sure you're bleeding from bottom to top, the lever is level. When I was paranoid about technique I'd push through a quick syringe worth, to sort of 'blow' any air out, then a slow syringe worth while tapping basically every part of the system, then another slow syringe worth just to check nothing's coming out.

Oh, and the exit tube from the lever I generally submerge in water too, for extra piece of mind when you're refilling syringe.

Ok I'll try that but if it "gave" all of a sudden for no reason (which seemed to be the catalyst) would that indicate a leak and therefore the need for a bleed?

Fixed thank Christ!

You were right JD I had done a poor job of bleeding it the first time...huge air bubbles!

3 bleeds later with water and antifreeze and it feels pretty good (touch wood).

Good job (Y) Bleeding is one of those things I think everyone gets wrong for a while before it clicks - certainly took me a few goes.