Tensile Ffw Clean Up Guide

isitafox

This probably won't apply to a lot of members but if anyone has a Tensile FFW which skips a lot (or even if it doesn't) this could come in handy.

I was advised to try and clean out a Tensile when bought as they have a lot of grease packed inside which tends to stick them up a bit and stop the pawls and springs working properly which in turn leads to copious amounts of pain. I have owned a Tensile before which I purchased 2nd hand off here, cleaned out and ran on my mod for over a year without it skipping once and have just bought another to fit to my sons bike so thought I'd document the rebuild of it to help out anyone who wants to have a go themselves.

The freewheel in question I have been told has skipped on the previous owner, however, upon taking it apart I found it to be filled with old dirty grease so hopefully this should sort it (I haven't tested it yet as I've literally just done it and am sat at work!).

Tools required:

FFW/bottom bracket tool (I use this one)

Hammer

Punch (or something you don't mind bashing up that'll fit the holes in the lockring!)

WD40/GT85/degreaser

Thin oil (I use 3 in 1 oil as it's pretty thin)

Locktite

Tweezers

Small flat blade screwdriver

Lots of rags to clean up the grease

I started by cracking the lock nut off with a hammer and punch then taking the freewheel apart and laying everything out. In order it should be the lockring, upper bearing, shims, outer teeth (be very careful when you lift this off not to let the springs flick themselves or the pawls out!), pawls, springs, lower bearing and lastly the centre.

As you can see below the centre (still fitted with pawls, springs and lower bearing) is well glued up with grease!

IMG_20110602_222435.jpg

Once you have everything seperated get your degreaser and some rags and give everything a good clean, beware that this can be very messy so if your young don't do it on your mums kitchen table without a lot of newspaper down and some old clothes on!! When you clean the bearings make sure that if any BB's pop out you put them back in the cage.

I have everything cleaned up and laid out.

IMG_20110602_224933.jpg

Now to start putting things back together, firstly the centre and lower bearing making sure the BB's face upwards! It doesn't matter which of the 2 bearings you use as they're both the same

IMG_20110602_225145.jpg

Next pop the outer teeth on, make sure you put it the right way so the pawls will engage!! When this is on carefully fit each of the springs into the right hand holes on each section (this is where the tweezers come in handy!)

IMG_20110602_225850.jpg

Now comes the tricky bit of fitting the pawls back in, use the flat bladed screwdriver to push the springs toward the centre and drop the pawl into the guide hole. This can be quite fiddly the first time you do it so be patient.

IMG_20110602_230214.jpg

Once you've got them all dropped in push down on the outer ring and give it a slight twist to check they're in properly. Don't spin it dead fast or you'll probably pop some if not all the springs and/or pawls out and you'll have to start again!

Now give the whole thing a light coat of the thin oil to keep things moving then drop the shims on.

IMG_20110602_230238.jpg

And finally add the upper bearing.

IMG_20110602_230316.jpg

Give the upper bearing a drop of oil then pop some loctite on the lockring thread and screw it on using the BB tool to hold the centre as you tighten it.

IMG_20110602_230517.jpg

Job done, leave it to sit for an hour or so to let the loctite set then fit to your bike and away you go! You'll also notice that with all the grease cleaned out it will be considerably louder which some people think is an added bonus (not me however!)

Disclaimer: This is not a guarantee to make your FFW perfectly skip free however it should greatly reduce the problem for anyone who suffers with it. If yours skips and your looking at buying new then give this a try first, you may save yourself some money in the process!

Edited by isitafox
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Fixed, seems strange that you can't type the img quotes and links but when I copy and paste them although exactly the same they work!

Can you give an example of a punch, I have 2 tensiles in the shed, at least I have 1, may aswell clean it up and have it as a spare. I already have everything to do this so was hoping you could give an example of a 'punch'.

Cheers!

Yes for sure, would stick it in a vice but kind of broke it a while ago, will try it outside so I can hit the handle full force, currently in my bedroom.. Back in 5.

EDIT - Another failed attempt, cant hold it in place correctly, its not desperate anyway, would have just been something to do in spare time :)

Edited by CalRobbo341

• 4 months later...

Just done this, it was skipping before. Opened the ffw up, to find it full of gungey shite and filings. Gave it a good clean following this guide, and a light spray with 3 in 1 oil, put the lockring back on and now its loads better, and considerably louder than before. Nice metallic clicking noise now

• Like 2

The minus point with an echo is you have to get it off the crank to get to the lockring. On a tensile you don't, no such hassle

i forgot about that :) i can do it tomorrow now :) yay!!

what 'click' freewheel is this?

36? 60? 96?

Edited by stunt man t