1 Finger On The Brake's

trialskidy

it could be the position of your brake levers.

I find its best to position the lever so the end of the lever blade is in line with your index finger when you have your hands at the end of the bars

I also have mine pointing about 45 degrees downwards from horizontal but i would suggest doing this where it feels most comfortable

hope this helps,

scully =]

Slide the brake up the bars a bit so's that your index finger grabs the end of the lever, gives better grip on the lever I find and will also give more leverage, make sure the brake is set up right if your finding its slipping with one finger, if it is you should be able to use one finger no bother, once you adapt that is.

I would also say, once moving the lever across so that your index finger is at the end of the lever, if it still slips on everything you do, then maybe you need to set the brakes up better, and then possibly getting a grind on the rim or put a small amount of tar on the rim. depends what pads your running if you go for a grind.

I use two fingers on the back brake one on the front and I manage fine, in my opinion it's just personal preference what feels right and also what feels safest for you. I think I started with two on the rear because I didn't trust my brake though then just never changed.

Well, I had the same problem and I solved it pretty easy. Just start riding from point-to-point with 1 finger on your brakes and use it to stop when you have to. It will take a few days to adapt to it.

Yup pretty much what I did too. I always used 2 for the front brake, now if I think about doing it I shudder. Wouldn't think of doing it :/

Just takes a bit of getting used to. I think the main reason i started with 1 finger on the levers was because i rode like a tank and needed as many digits keeping the bar in my hands.

I am so used to it now, I had loads of issues when i took my bike test because i was used to using just one finger on the levers.

Keep at it and you will get it. Get your levers in the right place and adjusted and it'll soon work out.

If your brakes don't hold when you pull the lever as hard as you can with one finger, you need to sort out your brake...

I started with 2, got told to use 1 by another rider, and from then on I swore never to use 2 fingers again. And I got used to doing it, after I while I felt like the ride was so much better (and safer in a way) when you have more grip. So now I never use 2 fingers.

Just re-read that and it sounds so wrong...

• 3 weeks later...

there is no reason at all for any rider to have more than 1 finger, you hvae the bars to hold onto

you only have 1 finger to tweek the brake, the brakes are just for control

you dont need to pull it hard, thats y u only need 1 finger

if u need more than 1, either your brakes are not set up right, or ur brakes are crap

your brakes have the strength and power, not ur fingers, ur fingers u should use 4 summin else

I used to always use 2 fingers for the front and rear brakes, even when i did XC mountain biking. Recently i have started using 1 finger on the front brake but still use 2 for the rear because my brakes are rubbish and need a good sorting out to be honest. I can defo see the advanage of using 1 finger though.