Jobs!

mrlynch

In July this year I was paid off from my job at an engineering company due to the contract ending.

I was a grinder there and although I have found a new job doing the same thing I am just completely and utterly sick of it and I think while I'm young, it's time to find a proper career instead of dreading one day after the other.

Basically what I want to know is, what do you do? I'm trying to find something that I actually want to do instead of feeling shit about even the thought of work.

So if you would tell me about your job, positives and negatives, it would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

Andy ^_^

Can you move up / get a promotion in your current job? Ever considered going to Uni?

I'm working through an agency and through a third party payment scheme and I hate the place so moving up doesn't look too good, plus to be honest I want to take a bit of a new career path. Uni isn't for me but I have been looking at apprenticeships but I just feel stuck, I don't know what direction to take? Keep asking myself wether I want to be stuck in a dirty horrible factory which is going to be doing nothing for my health, or wether I would rather be sitting in an office earning the same/more money?

Ahhhhhhhh! :lol:

Im a charge hand in a ballistic armour manufacturer.

The cool bits are devoping and testing new equipment and looking at new technologies on the market. :)

The boring bit is the usual day to day manotomy of factory working and having to bollock people :(

Your job sounds pretty cool! And interesting :)

I totally understand what you mean about working in an industrial/factory based position though :ermm:

I work in a architects office/studio. We do many things like Surveying of historical buildings which have become weathered or damaged, like churches and cathedral stone work and have the damages repaired and reconstructed.

Pretty interestingly we also work with areas which were never formerly completed. Like the corona tower on Canterbury Cathedral. Also deal with repairs which may be needed to other areas such as the roofs and other places.

Pros - get to go to some pretty cool places and use some pretty cool things a d see some things that are just generally cool.

Canterbury cathedral roof

5c735df0.jpg

Down sides are everyone is a hoitey/snobby ballbag and I'd quite like to punch almost all of them in the face.

Same As Radfax....

Work for an Architect here on the Isle of Wight, for the most part it is boring as (but I deal mainly with small scale residential stuff, so no fancy Cathedrals for me).

Pros:

- not in the office all day, you get to go out and see some funky houses.

- some clients are cool, even some of the richer ones.

- chicks think you're loaded!! (although for the most part you're really not).

Cons:

- dealing with planners and building inspectors sucks

- Most of the clients either have no clue what they want or think they know everything

- Some of the snobbier clients will not deal with me directly because I'm not 70 years old with a wealth of experience, which is bullshitochen

- Surveying in the winter is fooking cold

- when working small scale like me it does become a little monotonous.

Self employed social networking 'guru'.

Pros:

- Work for myself

- Engineered a job out of sitting on Facebook all day

- Earning potential is higher than working for someone else

Cons:

- Stress. f**king. Headaches.

- The buck stops at me for any shit

- Business don't 'get' social networking yet

- Earning potential is also zero if I was shit.

I was about to go on a roll with the cons, but the fact is that I love what I do - got back from a holiday today and I'm being honest when I say I absolutely missed working the entire time.

Self employed social networking 'guru'.

Sorry if this is going off topics, but how does that work? Sounds interesting (Y)

Im a Design Technician for a small company that manufactures railway signalling equipment.

Pros:

• Interesting when you get to go out on site. You get to go places you aren't normally supposed to be, did some testing in a disused tunnel at kings cross which was cool as f**k.
  • Nice when the weathers bad and you're sipping a nice hot coffee in the office
  • The company is small so I pretty much get run of the office

Cons:

• Lots of boring paperwork. I get lumbered with jobcards and other admin crap thats not my job because we're a small company and theres no one else to do it.
  • Stuck in an office in front of the computer 99.9% of the time.
  • Doesn't look like I'll ever get a promotion or any decent payrise
  • The boss is a fanny

Having said all that, im thinking of a major career change too. I'll have to move back with my parents which sucks major balls, but Im going to go back to college and do media/film production. I've lost interest in engineering and would much rather study something that interests me.

Edited by eddbmxdude

Reading all this is crazy! Got me sat here thinking what the hell am I doing? I couldn't even make a paragraph with how complex my job is :lol: i grind slag and splatter off bits of metal all day. That's all there is to it! My major concern is that I want something that I find interesting and that has a good future, fingers crossed.

Reading about some of your jobs is pretty cool, we have some quality people on this forum.

Sorry if this is going off topics, but how does that work? Sounds interesting (Y)

Single liner because I don't wanna get off topic either: Basically I manage Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and the like for small and medium sized businesses on their behalf so that it's being done right and bringing them in enquiries. Cheers for the interest, I find it interesting at least!

Single liner because I don't wanna get off topic either: Basically I manage Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and the like for small and medium sized businesses on their behalf so that it's being done right and bringing them in enquiries. Cheers for the interest, I find it interesting at least!

You'll be doing it for the rich and famous before long ^_^

How old are you? Thought of something like an apprenticeship?

19 mate, been looking for apprenticeships yeah, I just feel a bit stupid because a really don't know what I want to do, feel kind of lost.

Big change today though, my current job was getting me down so much... I quit.

Going to work with my dad at a car accessory shop just until I find something better, that I'm more interested and motivated about.

See if you can get a look at an course guide or similar that should show you the apprenticeships that are offered. I've just started as an Aerospace Apprentice which I really enjoy as I'm well into planes. I remember you saying about IT my friend is an IT apprentice and he's really enjoying it! The good thing about apprenticeships is that its not all theory based so you do get to learn the actual skills which are involved in the job which is essential for what i'm doing. Albeit the pay isn't usually great but mine increases as I go through the course as well as when I gain licenses to work on different levels of aircraft maintenance and repairs.

I hope you find something you'll like! :)

See if you can get a look at an course guide or similar that should show you the apprenticeships that are offered. I've just started as an Aerospace Apprentice which I really enjoy as I'm well into planes. I remember you saying about IT my friend is an IT apprentice and he's really enjoying it! The good thing about apprenticeships is that its not all theory based so you do get to learn the actual skills which are involved in the job which is essential for what i'm doing. Albeit the pay isn't usually great but mine increases as I go through the course as well as when I gain licenses to work on different levels of aircraft maintenance and repairs.

I hope you find something you'll like! :)

Thanks bud :)

Aerospace apprenticeship, now that sounds good! Yeah the best time to do it is now as well since I'm still living at home and my bills are low :lol:

When I finished my GCSE's I applied for the RAF to be an avionics technician, but sadly failed the entry test :$ I wonder how life would be now if I had passed...

I know this is really random after everything I have explained but the other night I was browsing jobs and stumbled across jobs in the nhs. So I scrolled though and found a job entitled 'Medical laboratory assistant' and for some reason I was intrigued, so I had a look and to my surprise I had the relevant qualifications for it so I applied, fingers crossed! It sounds super interesting. I may have high hopes but it's worth a try, right? ^_^

Edited by mrlynch

Don't be put down because you didn't get the RAF one! Its bloody hard to get in there especially with all the cuts!

Yeah the tests were horrible! Like I say I just always wonder what would gave happened if I had got in, I had my heart set on the RAF as a career and even though I probably wouldn't apply again now I've always felt pretty lost since that!

This is kind of weird, I'm an Avionics Techy in the RAF, sucks you didnt get in though mate they're attempting to lay off 7,000 of us. Dont settle for some shit job, I could of easily got put off when I was joining up. Broke my ankle so couldn't do the medical and then my trade closed for about 6 months but I stuck with trying to get in and now I've been in over 3 years and it's good. I cant see myself doing anything else other than winning the lottery. What I'm saying is get some motivation and do not give up with whatever you pursue. Good luck buddy.

This is kind of weird, I'm an Avionics Techy in the RAF, sucks you didnt get in though mate they're attempting to lay off 7,000 of us. Dont settle for some shit job, I could of easily got put off when I was joining up. Broke my ankle so couldn't do the medical and then my trade closed for about 6 months but I stuck with trying to get in and now I've been in over 3 years and it's good. I cant see myself doing anything else other than winning the lottery. What I'm saying is get some motivation and do not give up with whatever you pursue. Good luck buddy.

Spot on advice mate, cheers. Motivation is exactly what I need. Life's been a bit up and down at the minute but with a bit of help and guidance off the good old parents I'm starting to see a better future.

Cheers for all the advice everyone, been brilliant (Y)