Brand New Trials Rider

Connor Johnson

Hey guys, so I've never even touched a trials bike before; the the riding I do currently is uphill and downhill mountain biking, but I'm really excited to start trials. I was wondering, though, what kind of bike I should get, what's easiest to learn on, do's and don'ts a beginner might not know, etc. I'm a freshman in college so money is pretty tight; I guess I'm just looking for an affordable bike that's good for learning on, then I'll get a nicer one later. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Connor

Hey Connor ,welcome ! Since you're already a cyclist ,trials should be an interesting challenge for you . This site offers plenty of useful information for beginners through to advanced levels . As to choice of bike , there's plenty of choice in terms of wheel size and intended use - have a look through our bike gallery to get a feel for what's available and what you like the look of .

Hi Connor.

When choosing a bike, keep in mind that a lot of people will recommend a Mod (20"/19" wheel size). You will learn faster, but if you start on a Stock (26" wheel size) you will learn more of the fundamental skills that will help you in the long run.

And as you already ride a mountain bike, moving on to a trials bike with the same sized wheels won't be as big of a change that you would find if you were to choose a mod.

Alternatively there is 24"/26" street trials which is growing in popularity, it's street/BMX influenced trials riding.

I had the best time of my life when I first started trials, everything seemed to be a lot more exciting back then. So I'm certain you'll find it fun as well as challenging.

At the moment there are 3 main types of trials bike that people use.

Stock:

ECHO-CONTROL-WHITE-FRONT.jpg

Mod:

ECHO-2011-BIKE-20-MK2-REAR.JPG

24" Street:

L_INS_Team_Green_1_RH_Side.jpg

I'd recommend looking in the videos section of the forum to see what style you might want to go for.

Hope this helps.

Luke.

Hey Luke, Good to hear another rider getting into trials.

Like people have said decide a size first but if choosing mod one thing i would say is dont get the onza pro. It was my first bike when i first started, and i literally had to tamper with it like every half hour when out riding and also constantly i had to buy parts to upgrade. Like i ended up with just the bars and frame. I changed both brakes completley, both wheels (not cheap), pedals, and before i got a new bike i was about to change bottom bracket and cranks.

I would just say its not worth it. Its a good starter bike for riding but rather expensive to maintain, seeing as your on a tight budget like me.

Hope this helped, and hope the other riders can give you a hint towards which bike.

Good luck!