Green Inspired Skye

chris4stars

Unrelated question to bike, this new nitromorse stuff, is it shit for all paint types then? I was thinking of stripping down a frame but no way am I sanding it down instead.

i couldnt give you a definative answer to that, but i did a fair amount of google searching when i saw that it was barely working and that did seem to be the general opinion from frame to frame. the skye does have a very thick layer of powder coat though which didnt help

i used a full 750ml tub (£15) to get perhaps 30% - 40% of the paint off, and most of that was because i was able to scrape large sections with a knife. that didnt get the welds or tricky bits to anywhere near an acceptable standard.

used about 300ml of the 'old' stuff to complete it and get every single last bit of paint off without masses of elbow grease. a scotch pad and the cheapest hard bristled dishwashing brush i could find and it was sorted

basically, had i not found the old stuff, i was going to search for somewhere to do it proffessionally. would cost less and save me literally 10's of hours to get the same finish!

id not use the new nitromors again unless it was on to get a thin layer of 'wet' spray paint off. ever

WHY !!!!

Would you really want to ride around Edinburgh on an orange Inspired? There are quite a few signiture frames in trials but Danny's Skye in orange is proberly the most recognisable to the public. It does look really nice in raw, I can't quite believe your going to have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to come back from spraying I can't last 2 days without riding let alone on a brand new bike.

Edited by Milo123
  • Like 3

going for boldish green - how it'll come out exactly im unsure, but the limey greens against black that you often see on all sorts of things i think looks really good :)

cheers :) i had that midway through the forks - a moment where i wondered if a orange frame and black forks would suffice! had i not found the old stuff id i was close to caving in. with some vigourous brushing i had a bit splash on the corner of my eye today when i was finishing it off. s**t that hurt! i havnt moved that fast running to a cold tap for a good while

I know how that feels, i almost drowned myself under the tap at work as i thought the paint stripper was gonna melt my contact to my eye!

I also agree about the shiteromorse, i use some unbranded stuff from the local diy store, absolutely lethal and strips paint like ive never seen!

• 2 weeks later...

green forks and green frame yes... keep that skye style with it

update - has been sent away, its been in the workshop for 2weeks and as expected, its taking a while for the guy to get round to doing it - can imagine with this time of you it may be busier than usual!

so im sitting here twiddling thumbs and waiting!

Would of been miles easyier if you found somewhere to sand blast it, does look good raw but I also like the sound of green as I love the green team.

plenty of places were willing to sandblast it (pre powdercoating it was lightly sandblasted to give a good base to paint and get all the tiny bits left in hard to reach areas)....with the paint being so thick, i prefered to do it myself with chemicals i knew wouldnt damage the frame :)

love the hope team green too....if anyone reading this knows anyone with the special edition hope tech levers with the green dials (they come with green bore caps too), id be willing to do what i can to swap my silver dials for them! (+ a cash incentive of course:))

Edited by chris4stars

Sand blasting can set up stress risers that can lead to fatigue due to fatigue.

Just thought I would throw that in there.

didnt know this, glad i went down the route i did...the guy who did it would only have used it very lightly im sure, not in a way that could cause damage

plenty of places were willing to sandblast it (pre powdercoating it was lightly sandblasted to give a good base to paint and get all the tiny bits left in hard to reach areas)....with the paint being so thick, i prefered to do it myself with chemicals i knew wouldnt damage the frame :)

love the hope team green too....if anyone reading this knows anyone with the special edition hope tech levers with the green dials (they come with green bore caps too), id be willing to do what i can to swap my silver dials for them! (+ a cash incentive of course:))

Well i'm thinking as the black bodied hopes with green extras are available commercially now, they shouldn't be too hard to get hold of. I'd imagine tarty could possibly order in the spares you need, or i'd at least try and contact Hope and see if they'd sell you the required parts directly. They've always been more than helpful with me for any requests so I can't see why they wouldn't ship you out the dials and bore caps if you asked. Can't imagine it being too expensive either.

Are the brakes custom Inspired ones, like with logos on the reservoir caps? Bet you can't wait for Tuesday. Edit: Just seen that they're just blacked out versions.

Also (and i'm asking this as it's a consideration for whenever/if ever I get one) is if you are planing on putting Saint cranks on it (which would be my first choice also) then how comes you didn't buy the frame kit and built it to the same spec but with Saint cranks? As by my quick workings out, you can build it for the same price as the full build that way.

Edited by Matthew62

Well i'm thinking as the black bodied hopes with green extras are available commercially now, they shouldn't be too hard to get hold of. I'd imagine tarty could possibly order in the spares you need, or i'd at least try and contact Hope and see if they'd sell you the required parts directly. They've always been more than helpful with me for any requests so I can't see why they wouldn't ship you out the dials and bore caps if you asked. Can't imagine it being too expensive either.

Are the brakes custom Inspired ones, like with logos on the reservoir caps? Bet you can't wait for Tuesday.

hope said the brakes are available to buy commercially, but im not sure if its the trials caliper that comes with them...contacted hope and they said that my only option was to buy them, they cant sell the dials seperately

the brakes are just the black bodied ones...no inspired specific details

shame, the little details of the dials would have been a realy nice finish! will keep a look out...genuinely cant wait, works night out inbetween too so the time should fly by!

That seems a bit annoying. It doesn't appear as if a green bore cap is likely, but like you said the Tech lever is exactly the same, but i can see why you'd not want to buy two new levers for the sake of green dials.

You never know there might be someone who loves the black bodies hopes but doesn't want the green dials, so you could swap with them.

I suppose as they're silver, you could always look in to getting them anodised yourself.

hope said the brakes are available to buy commercially, but im not sure if its the trials caliper that comes with them...

I've seen them on Hopes website - I'm pretty sure they're just the Tech V2 style brake rather than the Tech Trial, unfortunately. They do look piiiimp though...