Shimano Saint Brakes

Adam '93

YES! I bum the f**k out of these brakes, they're amazing! They have insane power! Theres a few downsides to them though: You cant (or its very hard) to find spares for them. For example if you need a new seal for your lever then you cant buy a seal but instead you have to buy a whole new lever, also they have a 660 gram weight, so if weight bothers you it isn't the brake for you. When it comes to power they're mad! I had one on my mod - it was leaking at the lever, and not bedded in and it was better than my hope trial - I couldn't get it to slip atall!!

However i wouldn't recommend it on the front, i haven't tried it on the front i just cant help thinking it would be too much power, bit over kill..?

Edited by Laurence--Trials

However i wouldn't recommend it on the front, i haven't tried it on the front i just cant help thinking it would be too much power, bit over kill..?

Front disk overkill? thats ridiculous, no matter how powerful i cant imagine any disk could be more powerful than a well working mag/vee

Front disk overkill? thats ridiculous, no matter how powerful i cant imagine any disk could be more powerful than a well working mag/vee

Hmm... maybe not, i don't know? I havn't used it on the front and i dont think i'd want to, i know ali c used one and took it off due to it being too powerful.

Hmm... maybe not, i don't know? I havn't used it on the front and i dont think i'd want to, i know ali c used one and took it off due to it being too powerful.

Might have been due to what he needed it for? Wouldnt think street trials demands much bite/power, more modulation as its meant to be a 'flowy' riding style

wasn't so much the power, more how it was applied. I found the servo-wave lever thingy to be a little unpredictable for stoppies and stuff.

Shimano brakes do tend to be incredably reliable, but as Ali's said the servo wave feature make the brake unpredictable for precise brake control.

In "pure" trials though, I would definately recommend them. Ive ridden a few bikes with them fitted, a 26" included, and they dont budge. So much easier to setup than hopes too.

I'm considering maybe buying a set for myself in the comming year.

Shimano brakes do tend to be incredably reliable, but as Ali's said the servo wave feature make the brake unpredictable for precise brake control.

In "pure" trials though, I would definately recommend them. Ive ridden a few bikes with them fitted, a 26" included, and they dont budge. So much easier to setup than hopes too.

I'm considering maybe buying a set for myself in the comming year.

So what does "Servo wave" actually do? I haven't looked into it but it certainly sounds like a downside if it makes the brake unpredictable

How are you intending on riding?

I too arent sure on how the feature works. I havent used them in the way Ali did, so he would be best to ask surrounding that.

Ive only used them in the ON/ OFF way when riding TGS, in which case they are extremely predictable.

Doesn't really make much sense to me but this is off the shimano site, might make sense to someone else?

Saint Hydraulic Servo-Wave Brake Levers improves modulation and uses an intuitive tool-free brake lever reach adjustment for on trail adjustments. A redesigned brake lever blade incorporates a more solid ergonomic construction for a more comfortable and confident grip.

Features:

Servo-Wave Levers: For quicker pad contact and high input.

Free Stroke Adjustment:

Tool-Free Reach Adjustment.

Ergonomic Lever Design.

Vinylon Hose: Stiffer for more response.

shimano-st5.jpg

you see the orange (dusty) round thing in the "c" shaped cut-out? That's the push rod that pushes the piston in the lever. When the brake is first pulled the push rod is further around the cut-out which gives is a smaller mechanical advantage (less leverage on it) which also means the pads start off further away from the rotor than conventional systems. As you pull the lever further the push rod gets forced around the cut-out into a position with a higher mechanical advantage giving the brakes actual full stopping power.

Because the mechanical advantage is changing throughout the pull of the lever I found it trickier to feather the brake, however Danny Mac seems to get on fine with them so perhaps I am just a bit ham fisted.

I have Saint brakes on my Sky2. I'm not using adaptors - the rear is the post mount version and the front is IS160. The brakes have incredible bite and don't slip. A bit of pad knock, but no more than any other disc brakes on the market. Weight is a bit higher than the Hope techs. If you can live with that, I would definitely recommend them.

I have Saint brakes on my Sky2. I'm not using adaptors - the rear is the post mount version and the front is IS160. The brakes have incredible bite and don't slip. A bit of pad knock, but no more than any other disc brakes on the market. Weight is a bit higher than the Hope techs. If you can live with that, I would definitely recommend them.

I'm not too bothered about the weight really. I'm glad someone who's used a set has replied to this, have you ever used a mono trial? How does it compare to the saint?