R/c Cars

isitafox

Are you sure it isn't a Reedy? Which is a part of TeamAssociated :)

http://www.teamassociated.com/reedy/

A quick Google search showed that no it's not a Reedy. I must remember that Google is my friend :lol:

It's this badboy:

When i got it, quite oily and mucky and the chassis was distorted alot

P2182151.jpg

P2182154.jpg

After a full strip down, looks 100x better! Waiting for some wheels to arrive, then i need to get on with sorting the bodyshell

P2182174.jpg

Tempted to go electric if i can't sort the engine, seems that the costs aren't much more and i don't have to keep buying fuel which is a bonus!

I'm not looking to tune it or anything, just get it going and have some fun with it for as cheaply as possible! I'm only a beginner and i don't intend to race :) The other car is a Kyosho Alpha Pureten, are they much better? Quality wise its looking to be near enough identical to the Reely... am i significantly better off keeping one over the other?

post-25560-0-71719900-1329854239_thumb.j

Hellaflush R/C fitment, home made camber washers, cut springs and filed body mounts :D

post-25560-0-89938600-1329854344_thumb.j

front view

post-25560-0-49444600-1329854389_thumb.j

side on.

post-25560-0-69401200-1329854419_thumb.j

rear with tail lights (and exhast was on in this pic I think)

I have the blue underfloor lights disconneted because they look sh*t and waste battery. The wheels are official R/C reps (by Enkei I think) as for the rest, narrowed axles (for fitment), RWD conversion, homemade front axle instead of front diff, 2P peices attached to the front inside body shell for more front end grip, home made lowering kit (chassis and shell) and new arial. Not bad for £2.50 from Toys 'R' Us Shanghai and some spares I had at home! (Y)

I used to have a load of rc cars in my youth.

Started off with generic tamiya things, then moved onto a hpi nitro m3 gtr thing, that was loads of fun :) I had xmods too which were great and a tamiya lunchbox which i never actually ran. Sold it all and don't think i have any of it left :/ This thread has made me want something again though, wouldn't probably use it enough to justify it though.

Well I've ordered a load of bearings to replace the bushes on my Raider and collared one of my mates who use to race and he said he'll sell me his old Traxxas TRX for a tenner. So I'll have something else to play with, not sure if I'll do them both up yet or use the traxxas as a donor car?!

I'm not looking to tune it or anything, just get it going and have some fun with it for as cheaply as possible! I'm only a beginner and i don't intend to race :) The other car is a Kyosho Alpha Pureten, are they much better? Quality wise its looking to be near enough identical to the Reely... am i significantly better off keeping one over the other?

I don't know anything about the Kyosho Puretens.. Only once heard that about the Reelys I've already told you. but basicly Kyosho isn't such a bad make, just more expensive than Reely^^ But I guess they both should work well, so pick whichever you like best! :)

I made a track in part of my garden for my kids a few years ago, i was the only one that bothered in the end, lolz

That makes me a little bit jealous^^ We haven't even got a small track like that anywhere near. :(

That track looks well fun :)

Heres the two cars cleaned up, minus front hubs, wheels and engines. The Kyosho is nearly ready to go, just need to fit the engine and replace the servo that controls the engine/brakes.

P2212178.jpg

The Reely is proving to be a sod to get parts for the engine. I have found that i can retrofit parts from the kyosho engine but it starts working out as being pretty expensive and this is the car i would rather keep due to it being seemingly better (seems better built, parts look easy to make myself and has ball bearings all round opposed to the kyosho having just bushes). I think it would be cheaper overall for me to go electric. This is partially down to me thinking of going the drill motor route (i have a few spare that are 550s), make a motor mount myself and use the drills trigger with a servo to make a speed controller on the cheap :P and have it setup like on the engine so it still utilises the brake. I already have a 3800mah nimh battery and charger, and these are cheap enough for me to get a few more later on when i can create funds. All it seems i will need to buy is a pinion gear which brings me onto my next question....

How do i work out what pitch gear it is? It seems 32 and 48 are the most common? The Reely is the same as the Kyosho (Alpha Pureten) if that helps...

Yeah i saw! Can get 20 for £10 :)

I happened to stumble upon a video of what i was planning on doing for the speed control, that seems perfectly good enough until i can afford an ESC (unless anybody knows of any good schematics so i can build one myself?)

Edited by Paul Oliver

I happened to stumble upon a video of what i was planning on doing for the speed control, that seems perfectly good enough until i can afford an ESC (unless anybody knows of any good schematics so i can build one myself?)

Could you not just use a mechanical one if you are already using a servo to control the throttle?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-TA03-Speed-Control-Bag-NEW-9415445-58218-TA03F-S-/150758093504?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2319e1f2c0#ht_615wt_1415

Thanks for the link, the trouble is those MSCs aren't that great (I had one on my grasshopper when i was younger) and I can get a ESC capable of running my current motor for a few quid more! I am trying to build this thing on a budget as I don't have much disposable income but I do have lots of time to make things (I get materials free from uni, and have tools there+tools in my room). The trigger control should suffice until I can afford a ESC, and I realised I have a makita trigger with a built in brake, so i may not have to bother with the mechanical brake on the car :)

Hoping to get on the lathe today and build some hub axles, 1 was missing from the Reely and some spares wouldnt hurt :)

I know this may sound cheeky but if I sent you one of my rear axles do you think you'd be able to knock a few sets up?

The standard ones are metal at either end with the pins in but the centres are plastic and prone to snapping. The only metal ones you can get as replacements are really rare and cost about £60 a set if they ever come up for sale, no worries if you can't though!

Have you got any photos? I may be able to knock some up, although the technician today was pretty frustrated that I was making stuff for a 'bloody toy car' haha! So I may have to tread carefully for a little bit as he is handy when I have projects.

Reely so far :)

P2222186.jpg

I made my new hub axle, and fixed the driveshaft (needed a new pin). Bodged up a replacement front hub with some metal epoxy putty and brass bushings for now until i can get another proper one (this works so that's all I care about :P)

P2222188.jpg

I Made a motor mount, just needs drilling so it can secure to the chassis. I found some Ripmax sprockets which were the same pitch as mine at uni, and made one fit my motor, now I have a few spares for both the motor and centre box just incase!

P2222187.jpg

I mounted up the drill trigger and hooked to to the servo to make an MSC, I couldn't use the makita trigger in the end as it was duff so I am using the mechanical brake instead :)

P2222189.jpg

I am awaiting new wheels (this car only has 3+they are shoddy), and I need to figure out how to mount the battery securely, I was thinking of using a velcro strap riveted to the top receiver housing? I also need to secure the heatsink for the mosfet off the MSC. I think a better steering servo may be on the cards once its all working, this one hasn't got much power and is quite slow. Is there such thing as a decent budget servo? Also will my motor need a heatsink? It's a 550 stock motor so i am guessing not?

Cost so far £19.70 for everything, woop!

Here's a pic

IMG_20120224_142701.jpg

As you can see its just two metal pins with a plastic centre and not very strong. Don't worry if you can't do it I'm sure ill be able to come up with something! I picked up a couple of sheets of aluminium to knock up a new mount to relocate the receiver and one for an esc, also gonna try and make some metal upper arms and chassis supports. Not sure how they'll turn out but ill have fun trying!

Some steel/alloy rod with grub screws would be a quick and easy solution for those shafts?

With the receiver, theres no actual reason for it to be in that little box thing i have is there apart from protection? I would like to have a battery mount there instead to keep the weight nice and low, so the receiver would have to be on a little shelf ontop

It lives! Stole a wheel off the Kyosho and gave it a whirl on the landing, seems to be reasonably nippy (didn't get a chance to get to full speed, its also geared up by 2 teeth compared to when it had an engine). Steering servo has decided it wants to work the opposite way round...and when i reverse it on the tx, it just goes weird... hopefully sort that easily enough.

Motor mounted up, but needs the correct size bolts which i can sort on monday, mount seems sturdy enough though

P2232193.jpg

I found a funky anodised orange heatsink that i had from one of my robotics projects, adds a bit of colour to it :P

P2232197.jpg

Battery mounted up and secure but easy to swap

P2232202.jpg

Now i need to put my attention to the shells whilst i wait for the cars proper wheels to arrive. I have a Subaru Impreza, Toyota Corola and a Peugeot 206 but each one is tatty and has cracks. I will repair one for now using my hot glue gun, but eventually i would like to get a nice shell. Are the ebay Hong Kong shells ok? I have seen a Camaro that tickles my pickle for about £15 painted

• Like 1

Are the ebay Hong Kong shells ok? I have seen a Camaro that tickles my pickle for about £15 painted

i used to buy shells from hk when i was racing, they were always fine.

if you want something that'll last i'd suggest something with a simple shape, the really detailed shells like tamiya ones look awesome but they're really prone to splitting on the corners