R/c Cars

isitafox

Yeah i just want something simple really, it'll probably just get broken anyway! I will give an HK shell a go when funds permit :)

I started work on my Impreza shell tonight. I stripped off all the stickers (really badly applied+extra gash ones) and began repairing the splits. I had to drill new holes for mounting the shell to the Reely, I reinforced the holes with steel washers. There was a hole in the roof so I patched in the bottom and used a skim of plastic bumper filler to smooth it out. I have 3M carbon vinyl wrapped the boot and bonnet to cover over the bulk of the paintwork that has gone a bit funny. Once the roof is dry and smoothed out, i will wrap that too. The wrap has actually helped make the shell stiffer, i forgot how hard it goes!

Photo in my shower as it has a fan to extract the scent of the filler!

P2242206.jpg

Edited by Paul Oliver

This evening i have sanded the roof down and wrapped it. Made a spoiler and a lower diffuser using milk carton covered in wrap. Made some body clips from some old wire. I just need to find some clear plastic so I can sort the windows out and then the shell is done (may have spent too much time on such a scabby shell!). I took the car out for a quick test on my road, was far faster than I thought (I didn't expect much)and the brakes were a little less effective than I expected and a bit of curb contact damaged a front hub although they are the same as the Kyosho so i stole one of them until i repair the damaged one. I now have the brake setup correctly so at least that shouldn't happen again! I found a 9.6v battery in my box of crap, so thats currently charging ready to see what difference it makes and whether i should go for 9.6v over 7.2v.

P2242240.jpg

P2242236.jpg

P2242226.jpg

P2242219.jpg

• Like 1

Well I've ordered some new bolts and some pimped coloured nuts for various bits, managed to cut some mounts for the esc and receiver and I've been offered some NIP yellow wheels from a guy in America who may also have a load of steel dogbones and other bits. Gonna (hopefully) strip the paint off the current body and spoiler this week so I can get it resprayed then it'll have to go on hold for a few weeks till I get paid and can order some new bits. Also gonna pick up a Traxxas TRX off a mate one afternoon he's selling me for a tenner!

Now i need to put my attention to the shells whilst i wait for the cars proper wheels to arrive. I have a Subaru Impreza, Toyota Corola and a Peugeot 206 but each one is tatty and has cracks. I will repair one for now using my hot glue gun, but eventually i would like to get a nice shell. Are the ebay Hong Kong shells ok? I have seen a Camaro that tickles my pickle for about £15 painted

Can can stop the cracks from growing larger if you take a small drill and drill the end of them. If you didn't already do that! :)

Cheers Mike! Topsy i didnt drill the holes as i didnt want loads of holes all over my shell! However you are correct, that is a way to prevent them creeping any further. I used hot glue and liberally applied around the cracks, they shouldnt open up anymore unless majorly hit haha.

I have been using the car at night as i dont have much other opportunity, its pretty dimly lit round here so out came the soldering iron again...

P2282252.jpg

P2282253.jpg

P2282257.jpg

P2282264.jpg

You got that well clean :o what did you use?

I got given an ESC by a dude on an rc forum to replace my home made one which was pretty cool! Also got some wheels and tyres through the post and made my own battery pack out of a drill battery (got enough to make 3 packs, all nicad though but its still a few more minutes of fun)

P3012276.jpg

P3012284.jpg

P3012283.jpg

Car is working really well, drifts like crazy! Really need a fast charger now but i can't afford one :( overnight charging is so lame! Has anybody had sucess using a drill battery charger? Did wonder about getting one and reducing the output for a 7.2v pack. Otherwise i guess i shall just save for the imax B6 seeing as it covers all my needs

I didnt realise mr muscle would work that well! If i find an awfully coloured shell to replace my horrid impreza i will bear that in mind!

I have seen a few fast chargers on ebay, although for just over £22 i can get a genuine Imax b6 from hobbyking which is perfect for me :) hoping tom can find his though!

I made another battery pack today, think i can make 2 more and the rest of the cells are dead. Should be receiving my makita battery through the post this week so ill have some nimh packs to make :)

Whats the deal with adding a capacitor to the battery leads going into the ESC? Does it help much on acceleration? Is it worth it, if so what size cap? Does anybody fit inline fuses to protect everything?

Edited by Paul Oliver

I got lucky the other day on ebay and scored 3 servos (2 metal geared), 2 receivers, 1700 nicad sanyo battery pack, schumacher 11t esc, futaba 13t esc, mtronik 13t esc, hpi 17t motor and a peak vantage 10t motor for £26 posted

Keeping the servos for a design project, battery pack, futaba esc, hpi motor and a receiver. The rest can be sold and make me enough money to pay for it all, score!

The car is now pretty lairy with the 17t on (had a stock 27t on before), i am looking forward to the carpark clearing so i can play :)

Edited by Paul Oliver