R/c Cars

isitafox

How much roughly would it cost for something like Pauls?

On ebay a ready to roll working example can be had for as low as £60 if you look around, i have a kyosho that im going to sell soon, i can convert it to electric too if you are interested?

And how much would Paul sell it to me for?

I want! Looks awesome with the lights - do they noticeably drain battery quicker? I would guess they wouldn't make much difference but I'm not sure...

I doubt my cars worth much, although stick the word 'drift' in front of an rc car on ebay and people go nuts :P Lights are on a seperate battery pack (car needed ballast in the front anyway) but being LEDS they consume virtually nothing so wouldnt reduce run time noticeably

Just picked up another project off a mate tonight for the sum of £10 which I personally thought was a bargain for a basher.

Not 100% sure what model it is but I think a TRX-3 from the mid-late 90's.

She's a bit ragged at the moment but I'm sure I can do something to tidy it up which will involve lots of unneccesary spending, anyhow here's a few pics of how it stands currently.

IMG_20120306_221612.jpg

IMG_20120306_221657.jpg

IMG_20120306_221718.jpg

IMG_20120306_221742.jpg

Its missing a few bits like a chassis top plate, gear cover and rear wing so they're first on the list. After that it'll be a few missing screws need replacing, front arms and some carbon shock towers to match the chassis plate. Had a look online last night and the chassis is £55 new so I've definitely got a good deal!

Just picked up another project off a mate tonight for the sum of £10 which I personally thought was a bargain for a basher.

Not 100% sure what model it is but I think a TRX-3 from the mid-late 90's.

She's a bit ragged at the moment but I'm sure I can do something to tidy it up which will involve lots of unneccesary spending, anyhow here's a few pics of how it stands currently.

If those parts at nylon i think you can dye them pretty easily. It might pimp it a bit :)

Is it worth enough to get you a decent modern basher? If so, sell it! Otherwise bash it :P

Cheers Tom :) much appreciated

and Err that looks rather yummy, more pics please! I really want a new shell, but lack of money and the fact i have smacked mine rather alot means i probably shouldnt for a while

The wheels i ordered for my car when i first got it finally arrived haha! £5 for 4, including tyres, and they have an offset of 5 or 6mm. Looking forward to trying them out and seeing how quick my car is now (hard to tell with the drifts on). I also received a heatsink and fan for my motor using that free £5 ebay thingy :)

P3072401.jpg

P3072420.jpg

Edited by Paul Oliver

I'd say pretty much anything preferably belt driven incase you want to start with overdrive etc. (rear wheels tunring faster than the front ones)

the hpi sprint/sprint 2/flux is rather popular. can't really go wrong with a used of of them. But actually any car works, especially for someone new to drifting :)

Well it looks like I'll be selling the Traxxas to a guy in America, not sure on the price yet but I'll definately be up. Also a bonus as he doesn't want the electrics so I've sorted myself and ESC and a nice motor for my other car basically for free.

As soon as I've sorted a deal out I can order some new shocks, tyres and paint and get it running!

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff on the sale! I am currently hunting for a cheap buggy for when i am home but the search isnt going well! Tempted to start building my own...

Reely is going well, seems to get more fun each time i use it! Last night the 2 lower bolts to the front hubs decided to come loose and went missing so i ended up with plenty of front camber resulting in far better handling! I read up and it seems having a biot of camber makes a good difference so i drilled out my upper arms to allow for a little bit of adjustment. I am going to make some alloy adjustable top links later on, as well as steering links as mine arent adjustable and it would be nice to sort my tracking! I am also thinking that i should source some carbon fibre sheet to make some new chassis plates up, certainly make the thing lighter! Polishing a turd...awww yeahhh

P3192450.jpg

P3192453.jpg

P3192456.jpg

P3192457.jpg

P3192460.jpg

P3192465.jpg

P3192470.jpg

My wheel hubs have cracked at every point :( luckily i have some spare wheels around!

P3192474.jpg

EDIT:

Top links made! Some nylon tube, nuts, threaded rod and lots of araldite later...

P3202487.jpg

Maximum camber upfront:

P3202475.jpg

Edited by Paul Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I toyed around last night with my car. The steering servo was originally mounted upside down and secured to the top chassis plate and was taking up room for my battery pack so I have mounted the servo on its side on the opposite side of the car, and made up new linkages (maintaining the servo saver) and servo mounts.

The ESC can now mount on the servo and keep more weight towards the front of the car as well as evening off the weight of the battery on the other side. I also made a new top chassis plate that has made the car far stiffer than before and does away with the 2 servo mounting points and accomodates the widened steering pivots :) i will paint up the chassis plate at some point to tidy it up

The battery now has a better way of securing on too!

Ignore the dirt and grime please, its dusty as hell on the farm! I will rebuild it when i go back to uni

P3292517.jpg

P3292518.jpg

P3292519.jpg

P3292520.jpg

Timeline kinda photo to give an idea of how its changed :P

reelymods.jpg

Edited by Paul Oliver

• 5 months later...

Thread resurrected.

I got bored a few weeks ago so decided to dig my old famous M03 out. Spec was M03 chassis, fully metal raced, full alloy arms top an lower with adapted adjustable shocks, peak 15x2 motor and Novak Electra esc. went like a rocket but never usually much fun unless you were at a track.

So I took a trip to modelsport an bought a Schumacher mi1 chassis kit, ran it with all my old gear an replaced as I felt like it or broke.

IMAG0596.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0610.jpg

IMAG0603.jpg

Now kitted with..

Speed passion F/B/R ESC, hpi 13.5t brushless motor running 15* advance, 36/86 pinion spur setup, futabu high speed servo (yonks old but still brilliant) Orion 4000mah nihm packs,hpi t-drift tyres on some eBay wheels, hpi Honda oddysey shell.

Set up with..

-4* front/-2* rear camber

1*toe out front/2*toe in rear

Stock caster,

Locked rear diff an front one way diff.

Slides brilliantly, so easy to slide an control. Only been into it 2 weeks or so but its so much fun. Lots more fun then just driving round a car park.

Mate came with me to modelsport, never shown much interest in rc cars, came away spending 400 quid! :lol:

Looks sweet dude! What did you do with the tamiya chassis?

This is my off road fun, a Hyper 7:

photo5.jpg

running on 2x2s lipos in parallel atm, hoping to get a 4s setup eventually when funds allow :) its like a rocket as it is though :D

Drifter (camera on bonnet)

P5303156.jpg

Need to use them more, my little nephews use them more than i do!

Out of interest is anyone selling a 1/10 on-road rc car ready to run with controller, battery all the electrics. I have quite a low bought as its for my little brother, he is 7 in 2 weeks and has taken interest in my rc car but its way to fast for him. He is only going to be crashing it around with me.

Am looking on ebay to but most are way out of what i can spend.

Got around £50 or less. Can you Pm me please

I will try and get some pics up of mine soon

Edited by D Rock 45