Triton Deema

forteh

Most recent incarnation of my triton and my favourite so far :)

Gone back to front disk now I have one that works, much prefer the silence despite the weight penalty (shock horror! :P )

Also finally on 18:15 and with a dual wheel tensioner and no half links, the last one I fitted managed 2 hours riding before going stiff and showing signs of deforming. My original plastic blade tensioner didnt really give enough chain wrap with 18:15 and 385 stays so I looked at designing something that would tuck inside the chainstays, tension upwards and be immune to missed sidehops etc.

Used an old spare carbon old shock tower from my RC buggy racing days, chopped it in half, bunged a couple of shimano jockey wheels in there and connected it all up using the same bracket my blade tensioner was fixed to (bolts through the mech hanger fixing). The old tensioner was approximately 45g, this one is about double that but still a fair bit lighter than off the shelf double wheel sprung tensioners and cost me all of a quid for the stainless hardware!

2012-04-15%2019.03.13%20(Custom).jpg

2012-04-15%2019.04.00%20(Custom).jpg

2012-04-15%2019.04.32%20(Custom).jpg

2012-04-15%2019.05.03%20(Custom).jpg

2012-04-15%2019.05.34%20(Custom).jpg

2012-04-15%2019.06.33%20(Custom).jpg

2012-04-15%2019.06.56%20(Custom).jpg

Looks a little heath robinson but been for a short ride today and its been perfect, runs as quiet as a mech, no banging or rattling chain and it is virtually impossible to hit it hard enough to bend :)

I believe that it could be made to fit almost any vertical drop out frame, perhaps I should speak to steve@hsb and see if he could develop it?

Total bike weight is around 9.3kg I think, nothing amazing but plenty light enough for me and bombproof with it.

Cheers guys :)

The geo as stands is 1075/+30/385, the forks are short rake (zhi R26L) so the wheelbase has dropped a bit, theyre also shorter crown-axle so the bars dropped somewhat, the taller stem has alleviated that though. I also had to go to a sloped top cap because the forks had been cut short to suit, its all good though and seems to ride well. The yellow racelines do stand out a bit like a sore thumb (I think because I dont have the raceline lever fitted) but my old slaves had finally given up the ghost, being best part of 16 years old and the racelines were given to me for free!

Should be attending radfest if you fancy a go on my flexy titanium thing :D

Cheers guys :)

The geo as stands is 1075/+30/385, the forks are short rake (zhi R26L) so the wheelbase has dropped a bit, theyre also shorter crown-axle so the bars dropped somewhat, the taller stem has alleviated that though. I also had to go to a sloped top cap because the forks had been cut short to suit, its all good though and seems to ride well. The yellow racelines do stand out a bit like a sore thumb (I think because I dont have the raceline lever fitted) but my old slaves had finally given up the ghost, being best part of 16 years old and the racelines were given to me for free!

Should be attending radfest if you fancy a go on my flexy titanium thing :D

Is it quite flexy? Not sure if you're kidding haha.

And how, relative to cheap Chinese brand frames - if you're able to tell/have ridden one of them before?

Is it quite flexy? Not sure if you're kidding haha.

And how, relative to cheap Chinese brand frames - if you're able to tell/have ridden one of them before?

Titanium is a very springy material and 'gives' a little, this gives the frames a spring like quality that some people love and some hate. Because this is one of tritons earliest production frames (this is a standard 06 deema) it uses plain gauge titanium tubes and without the fancy tube manipulation more easily available with aluminium frames (hydroforming and odd tube profiles) you are limited with how stiff you can make the frame.

When I say its flexy I don't mean its like a wet noodle but it feels far more alive and bouncy than a comparable geo/weight aluminium frame. I had a go on max-T's piranha a couple of years ago and to me it felt horrible, like lugging a dead weight around; hard to explain I guess but I love the feel of it and just about everyone who has had a go has said the same :)

• 2 weeks later...