26" Vs 24".

How Original

Over the past 3 days been trying to find a decent wheelset in 26", and they all seem to come in 24"...

This is going to sound really dumb, but A) what's the real difference in feel other than obviously slightly small.

And B) would 24" just slot right in my bike?

Never thought of switching to 24" before, their seems to be a hell of a lot more variety for it, so think I might if it will be simple enough to do... :ermm:

the thing is if your frame is meant to have 26" wheels its likely to have long chainstays and a low bb, the longer chainstays won't be much on an issue, but it won't be taking advantage of the smaller wheels, but the low bb could be an issue, you may have to run shorter cranks to make sure you don't clip them. Personally I would stick with what ever wheel size a frame is designed for.

the thing is if your frame is meant to have 26" wheels its likely to have long chainstays and a low bb, the longer chainstays won't be much on an issue, but it won't be taking advantage of the smaller wheels, but the low bb could be an issue, you may have to run shorter cranks to make sure you don't clip them. Personally I would stick with what ever wheel size a frame is designed for.

Didn't buy the bike brand new, and it came as just a frame, so not actually 100% sure what it was originally made for, can't find another for sale brand new to see what the factory fitted them with.

I could always just see how much room the pedals have got when right to the floor... At worst I'll then know to only go for 26".

Nice one for pointing that out, wouldn't have thought to check that (Y)

Am I missing the point of that comment Luke?

I have a commencal Sx bike with 24" wheels 170mm cranks and going round corners with the bike laid down have no issues whatever with clearance as obviously I have the outside pedal down or are you talking about pedalling round corners which inst gonna happen with the bike laid right down, on berms where you may be peddaling, you are essentially on the flat at a funny angle.

Yeah - measuring pedal clearance when you're stationary is pretty pointless other than in weird extreme cases. Real-world differences come in to play mostly when you're cornering and the bike's laid down a bit more. Normally you'll have the outside pedal down as you say, unless you're pedalling through or retarded. Figured I'd better cover that case for the OP just in case ;)

Yeah - measuring pedal clearance when you're stationary is pretty pointless other than in weird extreme cases. Real-world differences come in to play mostly when you're cornering and the bike's laid down a bit more. Normally you'll have the outside pedal down as you say, unless you're pedalling through or retarded. Figured I'd better cover that case for the OP just in case ;)

Perfectly aware of that, I was just making the point they have enough clearance when the bottom pedal is down, it's quite far from the ground.

I'd never pedal while going round a corner, or with the inside pedal to the bottom... :ermm:

What frame is it?

2008 Commencal Absolut Cromo.

And you can't google that to see what wheels other people have?

You can get 26" ns wheels etc. on pinkbike like ive said in your other thread about forks.

Whats the point of a bike Forum if all everyone did was Google everything?

I have looked on Google plenty of times for things, but as it's a 4 year old frame and not a particularly common one, it's hard to find other people with them let alone full spec lists of what they're running.