The Car Thread

MadManMike

Sound about right that, how is the air filter too? Might be worth it to open the air box and give the air filter a shake / hoover to clean out any debris that might be making the engine run poorly.

edit - as a temp measure for the mot.

Edited by dann2707

Haha, yeah, it would make a good lamp. I don't want to put big vents or scoops in the bodywork so as the rear windows are sliding as standard they'll be left open slightly to get air into the engine bay, so it makes sense to have the filter up there right in the fresh air.

The shifter in the BMW looks ideal, should be very nice. Also wow that's a big throttle pedal!

Eww, that looks f**king minging! No thanks.

You mong, you'll never understand. All those silly short shift shifts in your pug and things felt shit. a high up gear lever feels SO much better.

Nothing wrong with a long stick if the throw is sorted out accordingly.

Got my WMI install finished today:

Controller:

04da97a3.jpg

Injector in welded boss:

e2ae8e48.jpg

Altered charge pipe route to suit:

3f15d3aa.jpg

All finished:

60d81ef2.jpg

Green LED is for when the pump is active.

a70439fd.jpg

d99bfdec.jpg

Went out and did some logs, and took a few pics:

102cc6d4.jpg

9568fdb7.jpg

7416bd44.jpg

164aa62c.jpg

Current logs suggest it's around 320bhp :) Certainly feels pretty violent on the road. 19 seconds to get from 30-140mph on the logs I did earlier.

• Like 2

Haven't been following the thread what exactly does that do in a nutshell haha? :)

It injects water/meth into the intake on what so it brings down intake temperatures and can increase the octane rating of the charge. It reduces the chance of pre detonation and allows the car to run full boost for longer as well as beneficial timing so the engine can run a little more advance if you are lucky.

A colder intake charge is more dense, and can cause a bigger bang if mapped appropriatly.

f**king spell bollocks keeps changing W.O.T to what...

Edited by Pashley26

^^^ what Jardo said!

I run it with a 50/50 mix of de-ionised water and pure methanol, the methanol not only has a fuelling quality, but it also evaporates incredibly quickly, and it's this rapid evaporation that that cools the charge air so fast.

Running WMI has similar effects as running 120ron Race fuel.

Dann: it's got a map sensor on the controller, and detects boost to know when to pump. This one is a progressive kit, so I can program where it starts to inject, and it builds progressively until my preset max boost level.

I've got this one starting to pump at 7psi, building to a max at 15psi. the car runs 14psi on actuator (around 275bhp) and bout 18psi peak on boost, which current figures suggest is somewhere around 320bhp.

Went out for another blast this morning, and it's absolutely savage on boost down a country lane! proper comedy stuff, 3rd gear wheel spin at 90mph in the dry on semi slicks on anything other than a perfect road!

• Like 1

Oh and for those that wondered about the MOT, it failed on emissions as I said and also had advisories:

Handbrake has no spare travel.

Brakes need servicing as they are only just good enough pass.

Radiator is weeping.

Corrosion to arches.

Drivers seat is loose. (Makes a racket getting in or out!)

It feels OK to drive but I don't think I'll keep it for long, 6 months maybe...

Retest tomorrow, should be fine as I put in Cataclean and ragged it in 3rd for a bit to burn off all the crap.

In car clips at Dan's request, Sound is awful as it's filmed on the iphone, and watching it back, it doesn't look that quick at all!

For reference, fastest speed in clip 1 is about 107 at 19s

Then another slightly longer one:

It doesn't actually look very lairy, because the mapping is so smooth, and with the LSD and semi slicks it just hooks up so well!

• Like 3

Adam, I see you looking now.

I've had a great couple of months at work, and have raped the comission so I'm going the next step with the Clio.

My KW V2's are paid for and are being made for the CS group buy, so suspension is sorted. Next up, power.

RS2 inlet or TB's. Any opinions?

*edit

Prawn, why did you turn around and go back the other way in that video? Did you get lost at Axford lol!

Edited by Pashley26

Dealing with tree sap that's ruined the laquer? Had a few issues with seeds and little leaves turning little bits of paint a ugly green, its ended up rough and feels like its in the laquer not on the surface. Pretty hacked off as I didn't notice it under the dust and traffic film that built up in the two weeks between washes.

Oh and I used a foam cleaner in the seats. diamond job except it wasn't consistent over the seat so it still looks a bit weird.

RS2 inlet or TB's. Any opinions?

You probably already know my opinion :P

Spending that sort of money on 20bhp (if that) is insane in a £1200 car!

Nick, looks pretty bloody quick to me, and if it looks fast on video it'll feel ballistic in real life. Anything with that sort of bhp/ton always has the potential to make you concentrate!

Personally, out of those options I'd definitely be looking at ITB's Jardo. I just googled the RS2 intake out of curiosity, and I'd want a hell of a lot more than a 6 or 7% increase in peak bhp more with a noticeable sacrifice in mid range torque for the money they cost. Also they really don't look like they'd be massively difficult to replicate for really not a lot of money. How is the metering done on the Clios as standard? is it MAP or MAF based?

Sacrifice in torque is not a problem with RS2's, quite the opposite in fact -

191-bhp-graph.jpg

The way I see it is I can have cams, decat and an RS2 all in for under 2K. Which will see me 200bhp and a super flat torque curve, or I can get TB's which will cost me £2500 which ever way I look at it which will offer me a little more power for my pennies and the chance to upgrade in the future because I'll have a stand alone ECU. Hmm.

RS2 -

DSC02580.jpg

rs2-comp-built.jpg

rs2-design-cad.jpg

I want the RS2 because it seems far more accessible to me, that way I can do my modifications in bits and I can have it mapped myself or do it with my RS Tuner. TB's are a whole new world to me, and they are scary :(

I don't think I will be losing my money on the RS2, complete kits seem to sell for +/-£750 and this sold last night (home made attempt at an RS2) for £350 within 5 mins of being for sale and the guy has people snapping his arm off to make more! -

e3b6b961.jpg

Edited by Pashley26