The Car Thread

MadManMike

Right, some advice please:

I need a VW Golf MkIV bumper in one of the slightly more obscure colours - Shadow Blue (LD5Q). Is there anywhere I can order this online? Or any breakers I should contact? Am I better off getting a plain bumper and getting it repsrayed? Doesn't have to look perfect but ideally should look decent from, say, 5 yards away.

Looks nice. How do you find it relative to your Civic type-R? Obviously it has advantages of roof-down/ RWD but I mean in terms of noise / drama / how much of an event it is to drive etc?

Standard car isn't noisy has the normal Honda squeaks and rattles lol, on standard suspension the s2k was a bit crashy, didn't take the bumps well and had pretty bad rear bump steer due to the crap rear toe arm design, I didn't have a lot of confidence in the car, it felt like if the back end were to break you would be facing the other way a split second later.

A lot of the suspension issues were mostly corrected in the facelift.

The civic is far safer and easier to drive, fwd and having a lsd(that I fitted) means you can put the power down so early in a corner without being afraid of spinning out.

Though driving the S is far more satisfying and fun for me, 10x better than my civic! and with the current mods is silly in the corners, better than the civic now, I just need to learn to be a better driver.

At some point I will be getting a hardtop :)

Edited by Toby

That 'comp' looks insanely fun!
Well I got bored, so I went for a drive and chucked the camera in. I'm REALLY loving the car at the moment, it's so much fun to drive, but the brakes do need upgrading soon, on steep stuff it's easy to get them out of their depth!
_MG_74952.jpg
_MG_74972.jpg
_MG_75002.jpg
_MG_75082.jpg
_MG_75202.jpg
_MG_75282.jpg
_MG_75382.jpg
I thought I'd try and get a 'look how stiff my suspension is' shot, turns out my suspension's not really stiff enough for that! Well it is set-up to be fun getting to places like where these photos were taken, and apparently has a bit more articulation than I expected, (which is a good thing in my eyes!):
_MG_75052.jpg

Cheers Luke, it's looking a bit battered, but then it gets used a lot more than it gets cleaned/pampered. One day I'll go on a mission to get the bodywork straight.

I'm on 280mm Golf G60 discs with the original Scirocco calipers spaced out to suit. It's not a bad set-up at all, there's plenty of bite and pretty good feel, but they do struggle with heat when you're being enthusiastic on steep back roads. Cheers for the offer but unfortunately 280's the biggest I can really go under 15" wheels, although size isn't the issue, in proportion to the rolling radius they're actually a tiny bit bigger than 312's under your wheels. I've got a set of Brembos off a Renault of some sort here that the piston sizes match nicely for, I just need to get around to modifying some spare hubs to fit them. Hopefully they'll cope with the heat a lot better than what's on there now, it's just a case of finding time to make them fit.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Hi Matt,

For the feature car we can supply at the following:

Revolution 8.0 x 15 5 Spoke Classic in black with diamond rim @ £45.74 each

Nuts to suit @ £0.25 each

Carriage per two wheels @ £7.95

With best regards,

Warren McKiernan

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for cheap awesome shit.

EDIT: that Audi is bloody lovely...

Edited by Skoze

Cheers Paul. I'm still on the standard map with a couple of PSI more than standard, so not a huge amount of power. It should be around the 200bhp/ton mark though. It really is silly amounts of fun (or in my eyes it is anyway). I'm really happy with the current set-up in terms of being playfun and nimble, vs being comfy cruising at lower speeds or on rough roads, although some better dampers are on the cards at some point.

Oh yeah, also, I'm collecting these in a few weeks, in-case my car wasn't '80s enough as it is :lol: I think they'll suit it, but I can imagine them being a bit marmite!

goTKa0j.jpg

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Yeah, in a way, They're TA Technix, but they were bought through Phil-J off ClubPolo before e-bay was flooded with coilovers. Removing the helper springs and trimming most of the bump-stops off transformed them. They've taken one hell of a beating and a lot of miles over 5 years, so I've definitely got my £200 worth! I've been really impressed with them so far, but now the chassis's getting a bit more sorted they're starting to show up as the weak link.

Some of you will remember in February I had a nasty crash in my Seat Leon Cupra. After nearly 3 months without a car I bought a boring but practical diesel estate and I actually think it's the best car I have ever owned! The only annoyance with it is that it is actually pretty low so I keep scraping the belly pan when going in and out of car parks (Read that as woodlands where I go biking)

Recently I took it on a 1700 mile road trip to the Alps mountain biking for a couple of weeks. I even lived in it for the second week!

Plans for the future - Other than cleaning the cloudy headlight glass absolutely nothing, I am just going to drive it and enjoy the cheap motoring!

21990_10151737430648896_707792277_n.jpg

988233_10151737450043896_2092240678_n.jp

1000226_10151737442008896_979084034_n.jp

1000515_10151737447213896_463469468_n.jp

164442_10151737442658896_1691271485_n.jp

• Like 3

Yeah, in a way, They're TA Technix, but they were bought through Phil-J off ClubPolo before e-bay was flooded with coilovers. Removing the helper springs and trimming most of the bump-stops off transformed them. They've taken one hell of a beating and a lot of miles over 5 years, so I've definitely got my £200 worth! I've been really impressed with them so far, but now the chassis's getting a bit more sorted they're starting to show up as the weak link.

Im tempted to throw mine onto a set soon to get the lows going. Its currently on 40 drop springs over the standard shocks. Its not really going to be in daily use so I cant decide wether to go for a better branded set or not..

I'd say it'd be well worth it. Mine drives a lot better than I'd expect standard shocks and 40mm springs to! I'm not looking to change them because they're bad, far from it, they're actually pretty good and have caused comment from a lot of passengers, usually about how the car's firm without being crashy/harsh, it's just that as the rest of the car's progressed it's getting to be noticeable that they're a weak link. At one point I was planning to put softer springs on them, and when I mentioned it to a female friend with zero interest in cars, who usually complains about my cars, she asked why and said it felt fine to her. They've been worth every penny of the asking price and more, and I'd rate them over equivalent price spring/shock lowering kits, they just need setting at a sensible(ish) height, the helpers binning and the bump stops trimming (leave ~20mm front, ~50mm rear).

The thing with cheap suspension like this is lack of development, often the quality's fine, it's just that the rates are all guessed and shared across a wide range of fitments, so sometimes you get lucky and they suit your car, but more often than not they don't. In the the case of TA Technix on a Scirocco, I think it's one of the lucky ones. That said, I don't know that what you buy now's the same as what I bought in 2008, that's a lot of time for their suppliers to change or quality control to slip, especially given the increase in demand.

Good work ticcy, there fantastic cars. I love mine to bits, just wish it was abit quicker.

I've just moved house alot closer to work and no longer have the 30minute drive to the missus now were living together so I think I can afford something abit thirstier, going to check out an import subaru legacy gtb tomorrow. Dunno if its what I really want but it all seems to make since in my head...

• Like 1

I think the 1.8T upgrade is going to have to happen, even leaving one stock will give me plenty enough smiles for a while (and give me time to find/afford upgraded drivetrain and brakes...) with the added bonus of not raping my wallet as much as the standard engine is.

Anybody got a Passat/A4/VAG longitudinal 1.8T going cheap? And a broken gearbox from a transverse setup?

Fancy helping me next summer with the conversion? Planning on having everything as ready as possible so that I can get it dropped in quickly :) The rest of the car should be solid by then too, the amount of stuff i've bought for it recently has broken the posties back.

Robin, which site did you say had the info on cars disc sizes and offsets? I can't find the post you mentioned it in

Hell yeah, love a project! I might have a couple of bits you can have too if you need them...an AGU airflow sensor and a ko3s manifold (which respond well to being ported...which could be a side project).

...come next summer I might have a spare turbo set up too ;)

• Like 1

Sweet cheers! I have no idea what parts i'll need yet, I guess I really need to write a list. I have a decent mill, lathe and welder at school so I can manufacture parts whilst i'm in Nottingham. Isn't your turbo an Ko4? I'm not looking for uber power, probably the same sort of thing as Robin has really as the car's never going to be able to handle decent power and its supposed to be fun and cheap. Fingers crossed I will also have a second car by then, although that may end up being the donor car haha... I really need to actually have one properly working car rather than 6 broken ones...

yay, it's become the 1.8T thread, finally :lol:

Cool new stuff:

null_zpsed56fb4e.jpg

null_zps5280acf1.jpg

null_zpsb398e093.jpg

null_zps0265fc85.jpg

100% stock OEM turbo from an 8P S3 TFSI, mated to my 1.8T.

In theory, 380bhp+ capable and will stand the test of time.

That's theory of course, we'll find out what it does in a few weeks time when it's up and running.