The Car Thread

MadManMike

Got a letter through today offering a driver awareness course for my accident last month. Bit of a wallet raper at £185, but faaaaaar better than the 6 points and £5-700 fine I was facing.

Feeling very very relieved. So much so I have emailed R-Tech to book my car back in for the remap I cancelled due to shitting it about having the points and not being able to afford to keep the car.

• Like 3

Good news George!

I've got an interview/greeting for a new job on Wednesday (they've already said they want to offer me a position, just don't know terms yet.) which means that hopefully my ideas of getting some sort of dirty diesel estate to smoke around in and allow the Scirocco to become a track toy are looking more likely. Excited :D. Also filled in the entry form for the first rally I'll be co-driving in: Brean stages near Weston Super Mare on the 24/25th of January, more excitement! Just need to sort some fireproofs now.

• Like 2

I've been meaning to come in here for a couple of days due to an odd sound my car has been making when off the throttle. It's been pulling fine, braking fine, etc, but on deceleration it's been making a bit of a rattling sound.

Evidentally, having had a big bang and a shit ton of smoke just a moment ago, I'm assuming it's going to be expensive. The fan belt has come off, but I'm not sure whether that's because of anything else... The power steering went at the beginning of that journey (I was driving it back from the shop round the corner so was planning to limp it home anyway, then this bang happened), I'm sure that's probably related right?

Could be a seized steering pump, causing the belt to snap (the smoke was probably/hopefully from the belt rubbing against the non rotating pulley). This happened to my Saab, it was a frustrating job to replace the pump!

Rattling could be the exhaust/heat shields but guess it would do it other times too

I've got it booked in for Tuesday, can't be bothered to try and fix it myself as it'll just take weeks again!

The belt hasn't snapped, so they reckon it could be a pulley at best. I reckon it's water pump though as the bay is soaked on that side, although I haven't had any overheating issues. Either way it'll have to get done :)

Sick! Is the rally stuff with Ben? Be keen to pop up and check it out if so :)

Yep, Ben'll be driving in his dad's old Astra, really looking forward to it.

So with a new job on the horizon (hopefully) I'll be looking for a daily run around in the next few months. Any recommendations of cheep diesel estates? Ideally something decent on fuel but fairly comfy and decent to drive. Thinking of giving the VAG range a miss this time around, I'm just a bit bored of them.

A quick browse of what I like the look of and might be able to afford narrows things down a bit:

Volvo V40 - What diesel engines do they use? PSA?

Volvo 850/V70 - Quite like these, probably a bit big/thirsty though.

Saab 9-5 - Like the styling inside and out, What's the deal with parts, and are they really any nicer than a vectra?

Peugeot 406 - Silly cheap, but I'm not sure about their electrical reliability, and as standard they're hideously under-wheeled.

Alfa 156 - Lovely, but a bit small inside, and crap ground clearance could cause issues getting to some riding trails/beaches.

MG ZT-T - How bad can they be? Supposed to drive nicely, be comfy and I like the looks inside and out.

And despite the 'no VAG' rule, I'd be tempted by an Audi A4/A6.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

How's a 405(?) to drive? The big Pug diesel estate, can't remember the model number. Or one of the legacy or outback estates? I know the diesel boxer is crap though.

Focus estates seem to tick all the boxes but is it big enough? I would have one but wanted to change from the blue oval, plus I've never had an ounce of enthusiasm for one.

Should have said, I'm not a ford fan, they just have a cheap feel to them I don't really like, despite being quite a sensible choice. I'd love a subaru, but they like to drink a bit much, I'm after something that'll eventually pay for its self in fuel saving rather than something that'll use more than the 'rocco!

406 is a strong contender, they're silly cheap, the XUD engined ones are very reliable and they do drive and ride nicely. Only real downsides that the standard wheels without fail look awful (easily sorted I guess) and the interiors are mostly easily stained beige colours and pretty dull.

Edited by RobinJI

Out of all of those I'd go Volvo, although the v40 has a terrible looking interior which may be off putting. The 9-5 isn't a vectra, that's the 9-3! Parts don't appear to be much of a problem, just avoid the 2.2 and 3.0 diesels as they are both fairly problematic. The 2.0 petrols are common for slugding up in the sump and blocking the oil pick up

What about a jag x type? It's a Mondeo with a pretty face? Also why no BMW love? Is it for a similar reason to dull VAGness?

Edited by CurtisRider

hm.. Most Saabs that'd be in my price range seem to be 2.2's. I'm thinking for now sub £1500, but really it's just a case of the cheaper it is the sooner I can get one and the 'rocco can be stepped back from daily use and get some overdue love. (I need my car virtually every day, which makes it very difficult to do long/fiddly jobs to a standard I'm happy with.)

I'd kind of forgotten about BMW's, I'd consider one, but I've always found the 3 series touring disappointingly small inside, while the 5 series is probably a bit much of a barge for what I'm looking for. If I go for this new job my commute will be down fairly small country roads, so I don't want anything too huge. (I know I've included a couple of larger cars, but that's just because 406's are silly cheap, and I've always liked A6's.)

To be honest, it doesn't even HAVE to be an estate, a large/comfy hatchback would do, as long as it's not a struggle to get 2 bikes in, and it's a decent motorway cruiser I'd be happy, plus this might reduce the fuel bill even more. Just need to have a look at what I'd actually like.

Edited by RobinJI

I could easily get 2 stocks in the back of my hatchback mondeo with the wheels on and 3 with the front wheels out, with just the big seat folded down. And easily enough room for 3 blokes and all the riding gear as well

After doing some googling new s3 gets just shy of 370 ponnies from a stage 1 remap. This and the new golf r could shape up to be some really capable motors if this figures are true guessing full tbe, intake and cooler and car should be good for into the 400s

Why not get a car with a decent engine?

I had a 318, and despite what I said at the time it was shit and I should have bought a 328.

See I like my 318IS (E36). As a cheap and reliable runabout it's been flawless, grated there are faster cars out there, and better handling ones, but it's still reasonably fun to drive and serves as a practical car alongside the RX-7.

Speaking of which...

IMG_2152_zps345eb16f.jpg

Picked up my new bonnet at the weekend!

• Like 1