The Car Thread

MadManMike

Jardo - can I have the link to the machine polisher from before? Also what pads / compounds would you use if I wanted to do most of the car in a day? Also if you're up for it and after seeing your work i'd happily give you some beers or something if you could give me a hand and show me the ropes so to say

Mike have you managed to sort out some of the scratches on your car yet through polishing?

How much are Leon Cupra R splitters from the dealers these days? Ebay inflated price ones are £50 so I'm guessing they are about £35-40 now? I have one spare and I may as well sell it, doesn't relay suit the Porsche :P

Not sure about splitter prices mate, never looked to be honest. Between 35 and 50 sounds about right from Facebook group for sale / wanted posts... Mine doesn't have one, I'd quite like one but not enough to spend anything near £35 for one though.

In terms of paintwork, mine has improved a lot, but I think it's past a good polish - it's going to need a respray if I ever want it looking good. A lot of the scratches and scuffs are too severe to polish out I think, or maybe I just haven't given it enough of a beating with the polisher?

Have you got an a class amg then?

Got 1 on order. Put down a deposit to gurantee a build slot. delivery is june 11th. Down end of march to lock in the final spec i want the car to be then. Its just playing the waiting game :)

Edited by greg1040

Interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uz8SVP1xig

Starts at 1:41.

That's pretty frantic. Please forgive my ignorance but why are some of the shifts up and down clutched and others not? Also aren't the pedals normally adjusted in racing cars? ie your brake and throttle are central? Or is that just an angle which looks odd? Edited by shamus

I was trying to work that out too, my guess was something to do with the load on the car at the time. Eg. It'll flat shift at full chat but on part throttle you need the clutch, or something. I don't know for sure though.

I'd love to see the driver and road as well as the pedal view, see when and why he's doing what he is.

Can't figure it out either, like Adam said it'd be great to see where he's going. There's bound to be an explanation. This looks like a rally car so I'd say it's probably down to the slope and surface.

Woo, got 2 pics in + 1,5 columns of text :D

m6l7.png

Edited by Greetings

My neighbours dad is such a total dick. He has been slapping wood stain all over his daughters shed and most of it went onto my car. I approached him about it and got a reply of something like ' yeah i saw some had gone on, didn't think it was a problem, needs a respray anyway'

Fortunately I caught it before it had gone hard enough to really set into the paintwork, I washed the car, clayed a small bit but found it useless and went for the sod it approach and got the cutting compound out for a heavy duty shit removal. Fortunately I have recovered it and I can't see any staining set into the paint. I know my cars not perfect but that attitude is piss poor, i'm gonna go over with a bill for the consumables and time. If that's not paid for then i'll do some spray painting near his car when he is next over and get some lovely white overspray on his new black Mondeo :)

• Like 5

My neighbours dad is such a total dick. He has been slapping wood stain all over his daughters shed and most of it went onto my car. I approached him about it and got a reply of something like ' yeah i saw some had gone on, didn't think it was a problem, needs a respray anyway'

Fortunately I caught it before it had gone hard enough to really set into the paintwork, I washed the car, clayed a small bit but found it useless and went for the sod it approach and got the cutting compound out for a heavy duty shit removal. Fortunately I have recovered it and I can't see any staining set into the paint. I know my cars not perfect but that attitude is piss poor, i'm gonna go over with a bill for the consumables and time. If that's not paid for then i'll do some spray painting near his car when he is next over and get some lovely white overspray on his new black Mondeo :)

What a dick. Liking your approach, let us know how it goes (Y)

See if you can direct some angle grinder sparks onto his car :)

I might just throw these pics in here :)

Dicided to sell the good old Passat 2.0l 35i (350.000 km, still going strong somewhere) due to it being "boring" in the way of maintenance (just required a bit of oil and a set of brakes once in a while) and appearance and went for a E30 instead (user insomnia here brought me to it, he used to have a 318i touring which I liked a lot)

It was quite difficult to get a decent basis. I ended up seeing lots of crap and rotten daily-drivers, I even stopped looking as there just didin't seem to be something worth to be brought back on the streets.

Then I accidently found this '90 318i Touring just around the corner, no MOT, no history, nothing. 160.000km, no serious rust (not even around the boot) and 850€.

It was stored in an old garage long enough for all tires to be flat. At first sight the brakes were unuseable, the cooler leaked horribly and both pars of rims were terribly rotten.

We ended up taking it for 500€ and it took me 3 months to give it a full service (all belts ink. cambelt, new brakes all around, cooler, new wheels, control arms, oil, filters, bla bla blah)

All in all I spent 520€ just for parts, got new MOT and everything turned out to be a great deal.

I love it and actually can't still comprehend how much luck I had finding this car. Try finding a 318i touring (whereas 316i are sold more often) with less than 200.000 which is worth being rebuild under 2000€ :)

The only problem I currently have is the special colour: Its not the regular lagunagreen but a very, very rare special green called islandgreenmetallic. There is not one single e30 part around here in germany.. I really need a left mudwing but I think I will end up getting a different colour and try painting it as good as I can hopeing it will match the colour good enough when giving the mixer the colour-code :o

The dusty pic was taken when I first thought "Yep, you will be mine!"

post-23949-0-46801400-1393194717_thumb.j

post-23949-0-43057500-1393196126_thumb.j

post-23949-0-29979300-1393196414_thumb.j

post-23949-0-29538500-1393196425_thumb.j

Edited by Martin Direske