The Car Thread

MadManMike

To quote tomturd in that problem getting on forum thread:

They're somewhere safe, Danny has just split the topics. The huge threads are causing the server errors that have been reported (bringing down the whole server - so that includes theminiforum.co.uk who we also host), so they're hidden for the time being. Basically if someone looks at one of them it could bring the server down again. (lol).

They're somewhere, we need to split the topics up before putting them back into chit chat.

Please feel free to create 'my car' threads, it doesn't all have to stay in here :) (and hopefully it wont mean we end up with another forum crashing situation a few months down the line :D)

They would have to take the head off obviously, and I am pretty certain those valve seats are new.

Plenty of caustic and acidic cleaners that can de-coke like that, not to mention shot blasting with walnut shells.

You could do it at home, if you were handy with spanners and could do a cambelt yourself.

Edited by Pashley26

Ohhh had no idea the head would have to come off. sack that idea off then.

If you COULD dislodge all that shit just by going through the ports it would end up caking around the valve seats as well as dropping into the chambers.

The bits of coke stick on the piston bowls/compression bowl in the head, when they get super hot they can cause hot spots and pre-ignition. Not so much of a problem with a diesel, but still pretty shit and not really possible without getting the head off.

*Just editing to clarify, it does NOT result in knocking/pinking. It is a different issue and is actually addressed as pre-ignition.

Edited by Pashley26

Jardo, are you still going to Taunton on Sunday? I'll be back in the area by then, in fact i'll probably be staying at Ben Moores in Taunton Saturday night, so will actually be in Taunton, although I think we were planning to go watch the hill climb at Wiscombe at some point on Sunday.

Out of interest, are R-Tech any good with stand alone management? I'll probably do the majority of the mapping on my Mini my self, but I expect I'll want a pro to take a look over it once I've done what I can just for piece of mind, only thing is there's not going to be much Audi engine left other than the block and head assembly, and maybe inlet manifold. :P

My car atm. Shitbox with a welded diff = many hours og abusing :)

IMG_7024.jpg

going to change to a thick oil in the shock absorbers, get some lowprofile 13" tyres, lower it at the rear, put on one more set of leaf springs, heat up the lowring springs i got on the front to make it 20-30mm lower, make a skidplate and give it a rat look. :)

Edited by Skorp

Nahh, in the fuel tank.

It'll do as much as one of those sprays in my experience, the sprays seem to be a bit pony. But try either, it's up to you man.

Eh, how would it? The fuel mixture doesnt even come into contact with the valves or the intake port.

is your focus direct cylinder injection then? I won't even attempt to claim ANY knowledge of soot chuckers, as they have no place in my world.

On a typical petrol engine, running a cleaner through the fuel will clean the valves and inlet ports, as the injectors are up stream in the inlet manifold. Only modern TFSI type petrol engines with injectors directly in the cylinder differ to this.

So if the focus tdi has injectors in the inlet manifold then a fuel cleaner will come into contact with the valves and inlet ports. If it's direct combustion chamber injection then it won't.

As Prawn says, I didn't think the Foci were direct injection?

-

I am pleased with everything I have read of the RS2, and I drove one yesterday and it was great. The car I drove yesterday was everything I wanted to do to mine and felt really good. 970KG'snd 194bhp = a LOT of fun. It is a better power to weight ratio than my A3, which was the fastest car in the world.

It is the easiest way to 195bhp without cutting slam panels, fitting bonnet pins, losing trip computer stuff etc. Just bolt on and off you go! Also the RS2 is supported by Fastchip so I can map it myself.

I also drove a TB'd Ph1 which was on 15" OZ F1's and it was a very sweet handling car, incredibly nimble and felt a little bit more responsive than mine. Agreed the TB's had more pull but to be honest the fuel economy was shocking, the engine bay looked messy and the guy said he was forever realigning them and balancing because he drove it daily.

Also Stone Automotive (who make the RS2) and going to be doing a bit of a deal woon which will bring the price down a little.

Sorry Robin I won't be going this weekend but I am going back on the 3rd if you are about? By Ben Moore do you mean curly haired Ben with the A3?

1983 VW T25 (or T3 strictly speaking) Doka (Crewcab), 1.9 petrol watercooled with 54k and FSH. Mehcanically a beauty of a machine, the engine purrs, i havent heard another as good as this :) A project for sure however mechanically sound and an easy job to make it into a rolling restoration. All the rot is visible, as far as I can see from stripping off the old rusty shit, its a solid old beast underneath! The photos are of it before I stripped off all the floor and some side paneling

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

How much do you guys think its worth? I know they are rather bummed and scene these days so make a decent price when in good condition. I'm so out of the loop on car stuff :( I don't want to sell it but i'm having back surgery in a few weeks and I have to go privately because the NHS is so f**king slow and will mess up my PGCE year in my degree. I also have my Commer to do, which will take rather a long time seeing as I live 3 hours away from it :( Depressing times indeed, fingers crossed I can find a way to keep it as I have a real atatchment to the beasty