The Car Thread

MadManMike

Get a roof rack and carry a few planks of wood with you, the added weight will help lower it even more (Y)

to be honest I need mine sorting asap now, fed up of not being able to go over 40ish unless I know the road well because any slight in/decline and my wheels scrape the top of the arch, making them stiffer doesn't help either

Well guys, I got the car back from the garage today after having the clutch done. Went for a Costa with a friend through the day. Fully recommend the orange hot chocolate, it was amazing!
Anyway I got in the car and...
Hory-Shet_large.jpg
I nearly put my foot through the bloody footwell. I couldn't actually believe it, it felt so light. I genuinely was concerned they hadn't done the job properly. I went for a drive back home and it feels amazing. So smooth and so effortless to press now, it engages so quickly. Can't get over how happy I am with it. I'm not the one to exaggerate over something so bleak as a clutch but it's improved the drive SO much :D Only cost me £175 in labour too in the end. £25 cheaper than I anticipated.
I got home and started fitting the 10mm stub axle spacers from Pure
DSC_0108%20(600x399).jpg
It was very cold and I had to do the job quickly as I wanted to take the car back to the garage to tighten the hub nuts back up to 175nm as they have a torque wrench but here are a few before and after pics.
Fitting them was really easy. Simply undo the 2 x 17mm nuts holding the rear brake carrier to the hub, then undo the 30mm (I think) hub nut taking care not to lose the washer that is under the disc and taking note which way it goes on as it's very important!
Then this reveals the 4 torx bolts. I find it bizarre how 3 of them are the same and 1 is a smaller size. I thought someone had bodged it initially with wrong sized bolts!
Then slide the stub axle spacer in and fit the new bolts and nuts.
Now for some shocking before and after pics. HATE the dark. You can sort of see the difference. It is only 10mm though.
Before:
After:
  • Like 1

The Astra was really sluggish today so I decided to look at the MAP sensor as the EGR has already been blanked.

Yummy, this could very well be an issue....

2014-12-12180349_zpsd6f04092.jpg

A quick spray with electrical cleaner and a few minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner...clean :)

2014-12-12181857_zpscd5a396d.jpg

I then noticed a dead vacuum hose upon refitting the sensor and found some silicone tube to replace it

2014-12-12182603_zpsbaa92309.jpg

And then I noticed this

2014-12-12182841_zps3ec946e0.jpg

The swirl flap bar is off, this isn't a positive sign although the car has been running well until today and this looks to have been off for a while...

• Like 1

Yeah it's really hard to see, basically there is a rod that joins the swirl flaps and it has fallen off (if you look above where the brightest point of the light is you will see a ball joint and connector), this means the bushes have worn and also could mean one or more flaps are sticking too. I don't really want to do the ideal fix of a new inlet manifold as it's extra money and takes a day to fit. I might just get a rebuild kit for the arm and hope it stays in place... or lock flaps open

Just took the car out and it's running back to how it was, so that's a relief!

Yeah I can't imagine it was that effective, bloody love that ultrasonic cleaner :) I'll do my injectors with it at some point, it made a big difference to the old ones in the Porsche although I ended up replacing them with new in the end as they were very worn.

I'll whip off the EGR soon and clean that as the blanks have a hole in them therefore crap can still get through.