The Car Thread

MadManMike

I love your before and after pictures, it's like you've accidentally copied the same link twice every time :lol:

That and the fact that the only difference appears to be the angle the photos are taken at, which also makes it impossible to see any difference (if there really is any....).

So, a spring has snapped in my door lock. I just had to clamber out of the passenger door - I'm not the smallest person in the world and my car isn't the biggest. I'll be popping the door card off tomorrow and sorting that then haha.

For now I'll just have to keep the roof down and jump in and out like a bad ass.

• Like 1

That and the fact that the only difference appears to be the angle the photos are taken at, which also makes it impossible to see any difference (if there really is any....).

Don't you dare make me get my cropping and zooming in tool out :P

As said though, pics were gash, they always are this time of year.

I've been busy battling with the Astra this morning. I attempted servicing it when I did the clutch but the sump plug was tight on, the head was mangled already and I didn't have many suitable destruction tools at the time so I left it and just did everything else. I realised today that I have been driving it around with engine flush in it since...I guess all the crap will be free by now haha!

I struggled like hell to get the sump plug free, in the end I got my sabre saw out with a metal cutting blade and hacked at it, I then managed to get a 17mm spanner on and presto :)

DSC_0072_zps2c6abcf2.jpg

The oil that came out was seemingly pretty good with no sludge near the end, also no debris in there which is a good sign...I haven't a clue when it was last changed though, my colleague I bought it off didn't remember ever servicing it so It's probably done a good 20k at least on this oil.

DSC_0068_zps784db924.jpg

The old oil filter was split in half, not sure how that has happened!

DSC_0069_zps75a57d21.jpg

I managed to get the swirl flaps moving, turns out 1 is very sticky but I kept working it with Plusgas and turning it back and fourth until it became free, hopefully they are all ok now... I have also had the EGR off nd scrubbed it all out then gave it an ultrasonic bath, forgot to take photos of the spanglyness though :(

Oh and I changed the pollen filter last week...glad I did!

2014-12-02135427_zps0be14b96.jpg

I'm going to order the cam belt kit and locking tools this coming week to do it all over christmas. I also need to service the Porsche as it's done its 4k now.

• Like 1

Vauxhall sump plugs are always shit. Even if you do them up "properly" (i.e: not raged tight but adequately nipped) they always seem to come back solid.

The torx sump plugs fitted to the x12/14/18/20xe engines are something else all together, you look at them and they round out.

Speaking of sumps, I had a look under the micra today, my sump is rotten in two places and oils starting to seep through :(

Lots of little bits done to the car today, changed the sidelights, fitted the new tyres and wheels back on, painted my rusty arch as a temporary fix until it's chopped out and re-done properly (LOL at the colour, Hammerite rust paint is in a red tin but is closer to orange). I also managed to rattle the key around in the lock whilst frantically using the handle and I've managed to get the door open.

Until I can get a replacement spring, I'll just leave it unlocked - I have private parking at home and work, so it should be OK.

• Like 1

Next year I want a new car. Will have £10-15k to spend. Quite keen to try a BMW 335i, or a 335d...something along those lines. It will have to be *reasonably* sensible (no Supras/Skylines/RX7's etc) because I dare say kids will be on the scene before too long.

Looking for suggestions really. So far I've looked at lots of 3 series's, A4's, S4's, A5's, S5's...so something of a similar ilk.

I won't do too much modifying on this one (famous last words!), probably just a stage 1 map, and possibly an aftermarket exhaust system. Other than that, I need to find a new hobby!

Yup!!!!

Bloke I work with, he started for us about 6 months ago as a carpark attendant.

Well spoken, well presented bloke, has an air of inherent poshness about him. ''Thoroughly pleasant chap'' probably sums him up well, I like him.
He drives a cruddy old Volvo estate.
I turn up in my track car one day, we get talking, turns out he's a bit of a peddler, he's done a few trips to Spa, been to the ring, done a few track days. All behind him now.
He's always asking me about cars, what have I been up to, what's going on in my automotive social life etc etc etc.
Well.
f**k me sideways.
Today he turns up in this!
10868269_1570873086461200_40048611873174
1908208_1570873083127867_602500206881340
He only bloody owns an E30 M3 Sport Evolution, more importantly he didn't tell me?
I said to him 'why the f**k didn't you tell me you had this?! Is it because you knew we couldn't be friends anymore once I knew?'
'Well, it's just a car isn't it. I thought I'd bring it in today to cheer you up after selling yours.'
Now I just want to go to work on Monday so I can interrogate him about it.
I want one.
:w00t:
If you want to know what it is, read this article -http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=19345
It's NOT just an M3; it's a proper homologation special. I couldn't believe the attention to detail, the glass is a specially thing and held in with pegs rather than trims, there's no interior grab handles, lights, all sorts of things. But it's all got this entirely factory fit and finish and it's just supposed to be like it.
I could revel in the details of it for hours, and I'm absolutely going to be getting more involved with this thing.

I hate CV joints. That's the second time in 6 months I have replaced that damn boot (my fault purchasing a cheap rubber one last time...GKN now). They are such a b*****d to get off, broke my CV joint pulling tool in the process. All back together now though...I was trying to put the bearings in from the inside that's why they wouldn't go in! :oops: