The Car Thread

MadManMike

George - 335d with a map all day long.

That would be a cracking 'fun' daily. Mate has a 330d without a map and it will waft you along at a highly reasonable pace in a very lazy way, can only imagine the torque from a mapped 335!

Track day went well... got some instruction from a chap who raced F1 in the 70s (Mike Wilds) and is currently in his 50th year of paid racing! He was very complimentary about how well the car was set up and even about my driving. Got some good tips too about how to improve too, which luckily were easy enough to be able to act upon straight away - a noticeable difference immediately.

The home made anti roll bars I mentioned a while back are in their 4th or 5th iteration now and to have a comment like that from someone who definitely knows their onions were very positive!

Track was a classic December Oulton Park ice rink in the morning then it ended up nearly dry last thing, great fun and nice to have a full range of conditions to keep things interesting :) Just checked the datalogger and just after lunch while it was just about drying a bit ish, lap times were only 2s down on last time I was there in the bone dry, chuffed!

Fitted my front coilovers yesturday, and my rear ones today.

Look dan ,properly greased coilovers ;)

post-36867-0-06098100-1418576714_thumb.j

Had to make a spanner/socket for my solid top mounts, was a 17/18th socket welded to a land rover grab bar :L

post-36867-0-51627900-1418576716_thumb.j

Looking all shiny!

post-36867-0-31030800-1418576718_thumb.j

Asked my dad for a bottle jack, he gave me this relick! no english writing on it, wind up bottle jack

post-36867-0-78231800-1418576719_thumb.j

Now to fit the rears:

top mounts moved across, springs ready

post-36867-0-93768000-1418576722_thumb.j

metal locating ring removed

post-36867-0-32461700-1418576724_thumb.j

All fitted in

post-36867-0-34035900-1418576725_thumb.j

Annoyed with this though, this is the lowest it'd go :(

post-36867-0-50994000-1418576726_thumb.jpost-36867-0-81431100-1418576727_thumb.j

and for the love of god, does anyone know what this washer is for? they came on the new shocks, yet the old shocks didnt have them and i cant find any mention of them online?

post-36867-0-09547500-1418576721_thumb.j

Edited by MartMini
  • Like 1

my phone keep reverting back to shit picture settings :(

I like having adjustability though. ill properly end up getting some bigger alloys at some point, so it's not far off as it is.

and i know :/

Quite amazed at how much different the back made. the front only felt slightly stiffer, however the back was the difference between night and day!

Standard car insurance renewal price bullshit. An extra £15 a month - don't think so. First place I looked I found it for £10 a month less than what I used to pay.

Related to this, what are people's opinions like of Octagon? They seem pretty cheap...

• Like 1

Buying a new toy car instead of a house? :P

Basically.

Probably.

So my sister is 100% moving out in the second week in Jan, so I've got a massive 3 bed house with three parking spaces which is 15 minutes from work for £400 a month.

And now that I've sold everything, and now that I've cleared any debts or payments, and had an immense November and December I have got £12/14,000 just sat in my bank account, and a credit card with 34 months 0% on it and a £8000 limit.

So I could buy my 996 turbo.

But instead today I spent all morning Facetiming my girlfriend and walking around town buying loads of household items, furniture, ordered a new bed, blah blah blah blah.

And by the time I'd ordered a new bed, ordered new wardrobes and cabinets, bought a dining table and chair set etc etc for the new house I realised I could have bought a nice Mk2 Golf GTI.

And we've now agreed that we'll live in Fleet for at least a year to make sure that we're all settled in our jobs and so she can get established at a school.

So yeah, I've not done all this work for nothing. But it wouldn't kill me to buy something a bit more serious than the S3 and sit on it.

But really I just want something to tinker with and make lovely, E30, 205 GTI, a special Mk2 like an Edition One or something.

I dunno. It's all happening now.

Prawn drove the Panda today, he didn't hate it.

Prawn drove the Panda today, he didn't hate it.

I had to be around my cousin's 4 little kids a couple of weekends ago. I could put up with their bullshit because I knew I wouldn't have to deal with them once I got home. This situation seems similar :P

• Like 6

I had to be around my cousin's 4 little kids a couple of weekends ago. I could put up with their bullshit because I knew I wouldn't have to deal with them once I got home. This situation seems similar :P

We drove it through a river and everything.

Can't do that with a track car.*