The Car Thread

MadManMike

Following up from last night's post: http://bit.ly/1zvSc9t

So I didn't get the chance to do anything to the Leon this afternoon, but grabbed a couple of phots in passing during daylight.

Excuse the dirty daily derv, the weather was crap here overnight and washed a shitload of mud into the road by the river. Will be getting a good clean tomorrow :)

20141205_121916_zpscdac0459.jpg

On the subject of cars needing a wash, the Leon will be needing a severe going over. Will make a world of difference with regards to cleaning it up a little.

20141205_122019_zpsa2855c53.jpg

Hey Luke, SNAP

Finally a car worth me posting in this thread, bit of a step up from a 60bhp 96 ibiza! But I love it!

20141214_130537_zpsfb0fe837.jpg
20141214_130626_zps9d8e7c43.jpg
20141214_164940_zps7095b011.jpg
20141214_165039_zps80f10d85.jpg
20141214_165141_zps4155d607.jpg
20141214_165320_zps07d33ffe.jpg
20141214_165445_zpsa573e9bf.jpg
20141214_165518_zpsce3a115d.jpg
20141214_165528_zpsbedeaeb6.jpg
20141214_165544_zps59ee552e.jpg
20141214_165556_zpsf16b1f34.jpg
Work to be done soon:
Front Brace,
New exhaust (advice required)
Fix the drive side sill due to broken clip
Get new covers for sills and towing eyes
Fix Glove box handle.
New S2000 filter is waiting for me at GSF
Hook up to VAGCOM to see what errors we have and see if it has had a map.
Front splitter when the suspension is sorted.
Set up Coilovers properly so it doesn't drive like a sack.
Probably also going to get a spare set of wheels, with slicks and wets to switch between.
Cheers, Ash
  • Like 2

New glow plugs arrived, car starts well now from cold, woop!

I found some carbon look vinyl left over from the Saab days, figured that nasty Vaux grille could do with a coat of it!

DSC_0079_Fotor_zps8c8722a2.jpg

DSC_0083_Fotor_zpsec1f2035.jpg\

DSC_0086_Fotor_zps456caf3b.jpg

It's been a while since I last did some wrapping so it's not that neat, I've ordered some more so I can redo it and do the rear chrome strip too. The car should be less loud then as the chrome really does look a bit harsh

Edited by CurtisRider

Hey Luke, SNAP

Finally a car worth me posting in this thread, bit of a step up from a 60bhp 96 ibiza! But I love it!

Work to be done soon:

Front Brace,

New exhaust (advice required)

Fix the drive side sill due to broken clip

Get new covers for sills and towing eyes

Fix Glove box handle.

New S2000 filter is waiting for me at GSF

Hook up to VAGCOM to see what errors we have and see if it has had a map.

Front splitter when the suspension is sorted.

Set up Coilovers properly so it doesn't drive like a sack.

Probably also going to get a spare set of wheels, with slicks and wets to switch between.

Cheers, Ash

Looks good dude! Slicks and wets - you planning on tracking it? List is otherwise very similar to mine.

Sprayed up my jack cover today, more on that tomorrow. Splitter will be going on as well too provided it's dry enough :)

• Like 1

The guy that posted it on the Facebook page wrote it and said the names of locations have been changed, one person also pointed out rear facing seats in the pug but he proceeded to say in scenarios like that attention to detail isn't #1 priority but still, makes you think.

Mazda are twats. They made the NA with different doors, randomly - the mirrors I've got don't fit because the mounting holes are different - luckily I work in a manufacturing place so they can grind down the mirror mount, but it's still retarded.

Aaaaaaand the place I work have managed to lose them.

I believe "LOLS" is the correct word here.

CopyPasta from http://bit.ly/1yZV3KR

Swung by the car briefly this morning to pop the new splitter on. If you weren't looking for it the car would still look nigh on identical of course, but its one more little detail ticked off the list towards getting the car back to nice and tidy.

20141216_092552_zps907d3b09.jpg

The splitter itself fits using two push-fittings in the centre, then simply clips into place around the rest of its length. Whilst the majority of the fitting is nice and easy, the two in the middle can be a pain in the arse and require a fair bit of force to push into place.

20141216_094308_zps94bdf26d.jpg

Easily remedied with a couple of car jacks though!

20141216_094249_zps92a6f0f8.jpg

Before:

20141216_092542_zps36b99f34.jpg

After:

20141216_095202_zps11efb493.jpg

While I was down there the size of the crack in the front bumper became a little more apparent. Not ideal, but will be a fairly easy fix a little further down the line. Nothing a bit of epoxy can't resolve!

20141216_092600_zps95a7cbbd.jpg

With the splitter in place, I popped inside the car to clean up the remains of the superglue on the glovebox lid.

Manliest shopping trip ever:

20141215_190752_zpsd6655f25.jpg

I opted for this glamourous method since the nail polish remover contains some diluted acetone which breaks down the glue adhesive pretty well. Had used it a few times before and whilst it's not so rapid as using neat acetone, it's a little gentler and easier to avoid overdoing it which can leave some pretty nasty discolouration on plastics etc.

Before:

20141216_095326_zps029a847a.jpg

After:

20141216_100810_zps10195471.jpg

Still a very slight mark there, but it's almost entirely removed it. Will give another very quick wipe over at some point but happy with that for now.

In other interior news, I'd spotted this when I picked up the car:

20141216_100937_zps0b190f2a.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what it's from/for, though I assume it must have been to do with a previous audio setup, or the random reversing camera that appears to have been semi-removed:

20141216_100937_zps0b190f2a.jpg

Still, a little investigation showed it wasn't wired in to anything now, merely tucked away behind the plastic so out it came:

20141216_100952_zps75fa36d3.jpg

That's not the end of the non-standard wiring though, as there's an additional fuse that's evidently been fitted for something by a true professional at some point:

20141216_101005_zps0c5676ce.jpg

Shall be chasing those wires at a later date.

Also on the tidy-up list is the DV-boost gauge hose. Not only is the current offering delightfully obvious and entirely hideous in blue, but it's not exactly been finished to a high standard (I spy a theme appearing here...)

20141216_101355_zps52bbf58f.jpg

The screw was actually stuck in there when I picked the car up - that outlet from the T-piece was originally just open to the atmosphere, which was obviously a little pointless. Will likely remove the current pillar-pod setup and sort this hosing out at the same time; certainly won't be driving it around like this for long once it's in daily use!

I completely forgot to order a set of replacement pins for the rear parcel shelf, bugger. Nice cheap and easy fix so no biggy, ordered a set this evening.

20141216_095051_zps5f246b5e.jpg

Also need to check out the best way to remove the window tints. As with most DIY jobs you see, they've not been done brilliantly, but a quick look online suggests steam, heat and/or newspaper to assist removal. Will work something out and get to it.

Need to repair one of the nearside headlight mounts when I get the chance. The pattern it's putting out is spot on, but it's not quite sitting flush with the wing so it'll be another small gain but should help.

20141216_101555_zps63426344.jpg

Pretty much it for this update, other than to say that I've been spraying up the replacement skirt trim that I ordered. I'll give that until tomorrow to for the paint to harden before I smooth it back a touch, add a few more coats of colour and several of lacquer and it'll be good to go on the car. At that point, with the exception of the tints, the car should look pretty much standard from the outside. Crying out for a decent weekend of paint correction etc though!

20141216_095202_zps69038a61.jpg

-------------

Mike: Dafuq did they/you lose them? Must be somewhere close to hand, surely.

Paul: Astra looks tidy - bargain!

Edit: In other news, someone just posted this in a local for sale group on Facebook:

10857903_10152897242724133_7622021951201

Sweet 90* transition to the back box there! :lol:

#pug106owners

• Like 2

#pug106owners

:'(

In other non-pug slating related news, I don't really want anything for christmas/birthday (26th :dance: ).. So I decided what I'd like to do is have a fun track driving experience/ day out. Has anyone had any experience in these and can advise on what to/not to go for? I'm swaying towards a drifting day, as these are much more 'hands on' than a supercar experience where you're shouted at for using more than 50% throttle! But open to almost anything, except 4x4 driving (No fiats, sorry Jardo :wink2: )

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm completely clueless

Had the Micra close to two months now. By this stage the Corsa had been subject to a new water pump, a new timing chain and gears, brakes, pipes and at the very end of its life a replacement rebuilt engine, that went tits up.

Done nothing to the Micra other than fit a drop link. I love it, not so much for how it drives but how reliable it is and how little I give a shit about it. Completely unassuming, attracts no attention and does what I need it to do. After insurance and tax, both of which are paid, it costs me £80-£100 in fuel a month.

I've also been given the go ahead to use the corner space of a soon to be constructed garage/business venture of a friends to finally start getting my Civic built, in return for lending a hand here and there and making sure the area I occupy is kept clean. Winner :dance:

Looking for a set of cheap teardrop mirrors for the LCR at the mo to replace the mk4s that are on there at the mo. Got chatting to a guy who was selling a set on SCN and asked him if they were folding and heated (most were, but there were a load that only had folding as an extra, if my reading online is correct)

He disappears for a bit to "ask his mate at TPS", and meanwhile that exact conversation comes up on one of the FB groups (yes, George, the one you commented in :P ). Used his pictures too, purely by coincidence of course. After a brief conversation with people suggesting both that they are and may not be heated/folding, he texts back saying his mate at TPS has confirmed that they are definitely both.

Just to make sure, I asked if he'd used FB to find this out and he denied it. Doh!

Wouldn't mind at all if that were the case, but not sure why he's lying about it.

TeardropFB_zpsa772c90d.png

Offered him the money, with a clause that if they turned out not to be heated & folding then he'd give me a tenner back. Got all arsey and rude so I'll give it a miss, thanks.

Edit; He's just stuck them up for £10 less than I offered him for them. Confusing chap to say the least.

Craig: Too late, they're in lacquer already :P

Wouldn't mind at all if that were the case, but not sure why he's lying about it.

Offered him the money, with a clause that if they turned out not to be heated & folding then he'd give me a tenner back. Got all arsey and rude so I'll give it a miss, thanks.

Couldn't care less where he gets the info if it's accurate. You'll notice there's another 20 comments, of which some say they are and some say they aren't both (ie. not an actual answer to the question he claims to have confirmed)

What in that conversation suggests that they aren't both? What does it matter if he got the info off Facebook or not?

It's more the lying about it needlessly and getting arsey over something minor bit that rings alarm bells for me, rather than just "he found out on Facebook".