The Car Thread

MadManMike

Jesus, wasn't expecting to come back to quite that much wondering about the pictures!

It wasn't really a fair game at all, to be honest. It's a black part in an area in complete shadow, plus looking at it now I'm on the laptop rather than phone it's actually entirely invisible. Photobucket has raped the clarity of the darks from the picture. GameFail. >_<

You can have this round, Josh. Still more obvious than most of Dann's though ;)

20141219_133638_zps249521a4.jpg

Mike: Gangster tints will be coming off as soon as I can, not a fan in the slightest. Why anyone would chose to (badly) fit them is beyond me, especially across the front end too. Mong.

David: Popping in the details for a Leon Cupra that GSF link gives the message "This part does not fit your vehicle click here to view track control arm bushs that fit your vehicle.". Clicking the link gives this one though which looks about right from memory. Worth double checking to be sure though.

Got the drivers' door lock barrel refitted again today. Such a quick job, as you can see (even including time to grab photos haha!)

20141219_131215_zps83080bbc.jpg

20141219_131341_zpsf39c41dd.jpg

20141219_131444_zpse427319e.jpg

Can see the state of the old one. Not ideal though with a bit more paint would look fine of course. Not sure whether to hang onto it in case I become a chav down the line and want to refit, or (more likely) lose it in the garage somewhere.

20141219_131506_zps6ff4ecad.jpg

Very keen to get the car home so I can spend a weekend sorting out the paintwork; it's a pretty sorry state:

20141219_132618_zps24b4c1ac.jpg

Have also added re-vinyl-ing the B pillars to the list. Not in any major rush at all, just be nice to clean it up a touch as these carbon-esque ones aren't the nicest to look at up close. Probably go either gloss or matte black, nice and simple and OEM looking.

20141219_132547_zpse086ae3d.jpg

Not sure if it's noticeable in this photo really, but the centre console in this car also seems to be angled towards the passenger slightly. Little odd, I wonder if a previous owner may have replaced it for whatever reason and picked up a LHD fascia by mistake, as I've only ever seen dashes angled toward the driver or neutral previously. Again, no massive issue so will add it to the ever-growing list of small niggles that I'll get around to at some point in the future.

Also managed to stick my head to my local mechanic earlier with the Golf. It's got a minging cold starting issue which means on particularly chilly days it's not firing on all 4 cylinders. I've replaced the glow plugs and harness but to no avail. From a fairly preliminary look he reckons it's likely an injector seal, which is a relatively pricey fix on the pd engines apparently. If that's the case, combined with needing a flywheel and clutch it's probably not worth me bothering with. If I had the time and space I'd chuck it on the drive and either repair it or break it for parts (it's in really good shape other than the above) but as it is I'll probably just stick it on eBay as soon as I can and get it gone so I can start using the LCR daily. If anyone wants the Golf cheap then let me know, would be great to rinse for parts or to fix up if you could do the work yourself as it'd be a cheap pokey runabout (Y)

First proper damage to the M3, only cosmetic but still :(

All down to the racing wets apparently. They grip like an average summer tyre would on a dry surface but snap suddenly. Then its pretty much like trying to control a car on ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_P9YP8Mj1c

A few pics :)

8x HID's, all the light one would ever need :)

yCUcDC1.jpg

zkU73fQ.jpg

WrBRpRQ.jpg

InhvWNM.jpg

Mostly cheap to fix, a broken spoiler is a surprise though. Very happy the door is intact, aluminium ones are almost impossible to find and very pricey.

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 1

Mart - mega easy mate. I didn't grab a photo but will find one if needs be when I'm back on the laptop.

If you open the door, on the end (ie hidden when door is closed) you'll see a little rubber/plastic bung about 12mm diameter about lock heigh . Simply pop this out and you'll see a T20 bolt inside. That is all that holds the barrel in, so simply undo and remove/refit.

The only point to note is to only undo it slowly once the barrel becomes loose - if you undo it too far the bolt will drop into the door and be an absolute nightmare to get back out. That in mind, it's a mega quick and easy job as you can see - no need to remove the door card etc as I'd first imagined which is nice!

If it's your drivers door you're more than welcome to have this insert to blank it, just drop me your address (Y)

I was on taxi duty to Plymouth yesterday, so managed to very quickly pop by the car and take a look at the fuse situation. Turns out that it was indeed fuse 38 for the central locking unit, so a nice 5 minute job to remove the additional wiring and put the fuse back to its original location.

20141218_151316_zpse96bcf07.jpg

Any idea why that was done?

From reading up on a few forums, when you fit the blank to the driver's door you obviously can't get in manually if your remote/remote battery fails. Given that the fuse box on the mk4 chassis is on the end of the dash obscured by the door itself this leaves you pretty stuck if the remote locking fails. By moving the fuse internally you can break in through the boot with minimal damage and get to the wiring to unlock the car from inside.

All pretty logical, just not executed particularly well :lol:

David: Popping in the details for a Leon Cupra that GSF link gives the message "This part does not fit your vehicle click here to view track control arm bushs that fit your vehicle.". Clicking the link gives this one though which looks about right from memory. Worth double checking to be sure though.

Went over to GSF and confirmed that the part does fit. It's the better Audi TT one (probably why it says not compatible). Just finished fitting them now. As always, what was supposed to be a fairly quick job turned into a total PITA!

Noticed my anti-roll bar is split/rusted too =(

Went over to GSF and confirmed that the part does fit. It's the better Audi TT one (probably why it says not compatible). Just finished fitting them now. As always, what was supposed to be a fairly quick job turned into a total PITA!

Noticed my anti-roll bar is split/rusted too =(

Nice one dude (Y)

With regards to the ARB, are you still running the standard one of an LCR/TT/S3 model? I no longer have my standard LC one, but I think I've got a spare LCR ARB knocking about if it helps.

Nice one dude (Y)

With regards to the ARB, are you still running the standard one of an LCR/TT/S3 model? I no longer have my standard LC one, but I think I've got a spare LCR ARB knocking about if it helps.

Still running the stock LC one. Is the LCR the same? If so, could be interested!

On a side note, for several months now I have been hearing a noise coming from the front drivers side (I think) every time I go over a small sharp bump. The noise is nothing like I've hear before and very hard to descirbe. If you imagine hitting a socket set it sort of sounds like that. It's very short in duration and high pitched. I have had a good look around the car and can't see anything wrong...very frustrating!

Nope, the LCR model sits beneath the driveshafts where as the standard model arches over them. Most people swap to the LCR version if they lower the car at all as it eliminates any rubbing between the ARB/driveshafts so wasn't sure if you might have done the same.

Noise sounds a little odd but not much to go on. Assuming all bushes/top mounts are ok?

My Land Rover is genuinely frightened of new people.

Only times it's let me down are;

Mates birthday, shat its master cylinder.

Ace Cafe christmas do on friday, shat its lift pump. Bypassed it, drove like shit struggling to pull 50mph, drove perfectly all the way home at 70+

Going to work with a new client today, refused to do 30mph as soon as we got to the dual carriageway, turned around, 60mph down the country lanes all the way home.

This car is a f**king bellend.

• Like 3

Dannnn7653936, I know you posted that purely because 60% of the cars were clios ;)

Some good saves in there, I thought a few of them were just corrections being made due to a slippery track though, like the evo I couldn't even tell what he did wrong in one clip!

Haha yeah to be fair I stole it from cliosportnet lol

Cleaned the ol' shit box today. Hopefully an easier comparison as it's from June! :P

14519838172_27d460eb81_b.jpgDSCN2128 by dann2707, on Flickr

December:

15884470108_b47f1bb9cf_b.jpg20141221_151008 by dann2707, on Flickr

Edited by dann2707
  • Like 2

Cleaned the ol' shit box today. Hopefully an easier comparison as it's from June! :P

There is literally more difference in the foliage in your garden than anything on your car, all I can see is the wheels are a different colour, but there again it could just be that it's dusk in the last picture :lol:

Edit - just spotted aero wipers, that's gotta be worth a bonus point!

Edited by Jolfa