The Car Thread

MadManMike

That looks ace Robin!

Nick, Haz, its with about 62kg plus around 10l of fuel. Corner weighting is useless without the car being loaded up as it will be used (driver / passenger mainly, but you can get the fuel load correct too if you want).

Edit: Dan beat me to it!

It's safe to say the car feels so good now, took it on the roundabouts I usually go on and it just stuck going around them, grip is laughably decent!

My main problem is me just being flung out of the f**king seat now, it's like the car grips so well i'm being held back by this problem, can't wait to fit these seats at the weekend!! :D

Will buckets and harnesses make me feel the road more too, like in terms of feedback?

Edited by dann2707

It's safe to say the car feels so good now, took it on the roundabouts I usually go on and it just stuck going around them, grip is laughably decent!

My main problem is me just being flung out of the f**king seat now, it's like the car grips so well i'm being held back by this problem, can't wait to fit these seats at the weekend!! :D

Will buckets and harnesses make me feel the road more too, like in terms of feedback?

You will be able to concentrate more on what the car is doing/feeling like because your not using all your strength to hold you in the seat, so a little bit yes.

Keep the standard seat belts in though for daily driving, harnesses do become tedious.

Also you should come to cadwell on some track days in it.

Robin - Looks wicked dude! Curborough in that one?

Dann/Adam - Sweet shit guys.

General - On the subject of bucket seats, what's the general consensus on reclining/non-fixed ones?

I don't want harnesses in the Leon as it's a daily/it won't be venturing onto track often. I'm aware that only fixed seats are allowed on most of the bigger tracks.

The reclining type generally don't have high side panels so a standard belt would sit right on your lap, rather than on the seat but would they be enough of an improvement over stock? Thinking along the lines of some R32 Konigs/Evo seats.

The difference between factory Recaros and stock seats in my MK2 and Audi was night and day, definitely worthwhile, plus more modern factory bucket style things will be considerably better than 20 year old Recaros!

• Like 1

Brainstorming session anyone?

Currently my boot is 1/3 full because of the space saver wheel and a 4l bottle of oil. I want to tidy this up so I'm doing the following:

1) Replacing the wheel with a can of tyre foam

2) Replacing the 4l bottle with a 500ml bottle

3) Relocating the fire extinguisher to the boot

All three of these items are around 500ml and are the same kinda size, so I'm looking for some kind of bottle holder / clamp that I can mount in the boot (Ideally on the side somewhere, maybe where the panel is that protects the fuel lines, as that is removable - I could attach a mount to that panel then re-fit it).

Not sure what the best way of doing this would be, three bike bottle holders maybe?

Anyone done anything similar?

Looking for small and cool looking. Nothing ghetto.

No, it was a cheap one and the holder broke.

Jolfa - yes I could get just get a little bag, but most oil things seem to leak unless they're upright and I'd like these tidily tucked out of the way.

Anyway, I solved my own problem already :P

Get double sided velcro (its hook on one side and loop in the other). You can buy it by the meter usually. They use it for network cabling and stuff.

That was what I was initially going to suggest too, although I thought some kind of elasticated netting type stuff mounted to one side/corner of the boot might be a good shout in terms of it allowing you to add other bits and pieces in there as required, and can be done pretty neatly too.

I was going to go for the net idea, but every oil container I've ever used has leaked substantially over time, so I need it to be upright. Due to size constraints on the panel I'm using, the other two cans will be mounted on their side.

It won't look fantastic, but it'll be better than having them crashing around and should save loads of space, so it's all good.

I must have just been lucky with all the bottles of oil I had lurking in the rear passenger footwells of my various cars then I guess? If it's only a small bottle you could get one of those sealable foodbag things you could put the bottle in that would stop any escaping, by the way.

Believer in carrying vital fluids (for the car at least) on your travels. Ive been caught short before after checking my oil before a long journey on a Sunday to find it wasnt reading on the dipstick and the 5L of cheapish 10w40 I carry round meant I could continue with peace of mind.

This could be a fun game.

I usually carry gear oil, engine oil, grease, grease gun, water, coolant, 1/2" socket set, 3/8", metric spanners, ratchet spanners, imperial spanners, screwdrivers, breaker bar, assorted pry bars, set of various pliers, few spare nuts, bolts and bulbs, and a shit load of cable ties. If I didn't I bet it'd break instantly.

I don't have locks on my doors so nobody rob me please.

Today was a good day...
Got an awful pic of it at my old work
19132114694_fbdf6f820c_b.jpgIMAG0544 by dann2707, on Flickr
but......
19747491552_eb44c8ede1_b.jpg1437078640910 by dann2707, on Flickr
Put it in the car for a bit just to see how it's going to look!
19759357471_bd238944bb_b.jpgIMAG0546 by dann2707, on Flickr
19754663785_e33bfef384_b.jpgIMAG0547 by dann2707, on Flickr
I also sat in the seat in my bedroom with the harness on me for way longer than necessary.
  • Like 3