The Car Thread

MadManMike

Usually just the build up of condensation within the exhaust being heated and thrown out as "white smoke", quite normal especially if its cold out.

Mine does it often as I let it warm up before I jump in and drive. Uses no water or anything linked that would otherwise produce white smoke/steam, so I've never been worried.

If its sat running on idle for a bit like you say, again mine does it.

Wouldn't a decent drive get rid of any condensation? I'm getting it after journeys as well.

It's a turbo petrol engine if that is any help.

Possibility of head gasket failure? Check the under the coolant cap for a mayo like substance.

No mayo. No coolant loss, but I will check again when it has cooled down. I have an oil leak from rocker cover gasket (I wouldn't be suprised if there was any other leaks either), but I am sure it is burning it as well as it smells of burning often. Unless that is the oil from the leak dripping onto something hot.

EDIT: Been googleing and turbo seals and valve stem seals seem to be the popular suggestion.

Edited by Mikee

Wouldn't a decent drive get rid of any condensation? I'm getting it after journeys as well.

It's a turbo petrol engine if that is any help.

Mine will do it after a journey too, but nothing else suggests a head gasket failure or the likes of so I'm not too worried. If everything else seems normal I wouldn't worry

So having been messed about with over ARB's for weeks I've just decided to settle for a 25mm :(

H&R used to make a 28mm one, nobody stocks them any more. They've stopped making them.

So I've settled for the biggest Eibach you can buy, 25mm. Found one second hand for £60.

And that's it for spending money on the Mk2 this year, just going to use it as much as I can whilst I contemplate getting an M3 to do it all.

So the turbo I bought online as a genuine untouched k04-023, 77k and no play was pretty much anything but that so will be going back. The hunt continues.

Still, turns out you can strip and rebuild one with just a 10mm spanner in a spartan bedroom on a military base, which is nice to know. Figured while I had it and it isn't really good for much I may as well play around and suss it out for when the right one finally arrives.

Wishbone bushes have also arrived. Need to get a smattering of new bolts then get the car in the air and find the cause of this horrible knocking.

Nearly finished building my coilovers! Just some painting and another top collar to turn on the lathe
2015-07-06%2018.00.32_zpse63phpty.jpg
2015-07-21%2013.29.13_zpsmm2rhqsb.jpg
2015-07-21%2014.25.07_zpsyegdl19r.jpg
2015-07-21%2014.49.20_zpsbalfnu64.jpg
2015-07-29%2017.48.06_zpsikvmtzkl.jpg
I just have some inserts to make for the shorter dampers, and I'm currently painting the upper mounting. I have some helper springs if I decide I want to go lower, but I don't really want to go super low. These may not end up being what I want but at least it has been fun making them :cool:
And my car hanging out at a local meet with a 944 turbo
2015-07-14%2020.15.29_zpscxrhnj5u.jpg
  • Like 1

Get ready for the rear shocks then ;) I'm modifying some Saab 9-3 rear sport shocks (cos I'm cheap, they are new and I have them knocking about) and adding an assister spring to them to give me the option of stiffening the back end up a touch as my car has a torsion setup.

On a less exciting part of my car, the massive jubilee clamp I was using to hold on my back box whilst searching for a proper strap decided to fail within the first few meters of my girlfriend attempting to drive the Porsche (perhaps the cars way of saying no?). I figured I should get bending and make a strap that is actually beefy enough to hold it! I used a rolling jig and then some riv nuts on the top half to secure into.

2015-07-15%2018.09.15_zpszip0uqs1.jpg

2015-07-15%2018.18.53-1_zpshg6z5m3v.jpg

My Dansk exhaust has yet another crack in it and the tip is trying to part way again! Useless things but sound so good!

• Like 1

Nice work on the coilovers Paul, looks like a fun project. What spring rate did you go for in the end? I'm kind of tempted to see if I can make my Sciroccos front coilovers fit the 924, but I think I'm just going to rock the standard set-up until I've saved for some Gaz Golds.

I've received the new camshaft the mine, but not fitted it yet as I want to finish the wiring first. I've got the dash out and found things to be better than I expected behind there. The only wiring that's been played with in any way's isolated to the centre console, so I think I'm just going to re-make that 'branch' from the loom. The melted wire I found before appears surprisingly isolated which was a nice surprise, it looks like I'll get away with only un-taping about 6" of loom. I'm looking forward to building everything back up and making sure the dash goes in nice and solidly. I'm really please with how it's all put together behind there, it's such a nice simple, functionally, logically built car. The polyurethane resin I ordered arrive too, so once I'm happy with the wiring I'll look at re-making the engine/gearbox mounts to get rid of some of the slop.

Plenty of plans are already building in my head, I can see this car being a lot of fun.

They are really fun to work on, I do enjoy tinkering with this car more than any other i've owned. I went with 200lb springs in the end (170 stock), I decided I didn't want to lose too much of the cars compliance as it's such a good cruiser. I can always buy some stiffer springs later on as they aren't exactly expensive!

The Scirrocco coilovers will fit as IIRC they are Golf MK1/2 struts? MK1 fits directly and MK2 needs washers between the hub and shock. I'm running MK2 golf inserts on my Porsche bodied coilovers as they are shorter than Porsche inserts. I'll probably buy some decent coilovers at some point, I just like little projects like this as it's cheap and fun.

By any chance did you take photos of the dash removal? I'd like to get mine out soon so I can rectify some old and some self induced issues in my loom, I just don't like pulling apart interiors! I'm also wondering about getting it leather wrapped or filling the massive cracks and getting it flocked potentially

I didn't take many photos no. I basically skim read this to get an idea of the best order to remove things in then got on with it. It wasn't hard at all in the end, one of the easiest dashes to remove that I've come across. I can get some shots of the reassembly if it'll help though?

The Scirocco's mk1 golf based, so I guess they'd go straight on in that case. I'm pretty happy keeping it standard for a little while, but it's good to know I could move them over if I get the itch to tinker, although I'd probably want to fit softer springs. I know what you mean about cheap fun projects like your coilovers, sometime's making stuff yourself's not the most logical thing to do, but it's fun and satisfying, plus you get to learn/practice some skills.

Caddy is off to the mechanics next week to fit a new zorst and rear brake line (I'm struggling on these without a lift) then it's straight off to the bodyshop! My wheels turned up today so they'll go for banding when I get my adapters and know what I can safely go for. Just coilies and sign writing after that!

• Like 3