The Car Thread

MadManMike

They're not knackered at all, hence my point above. Just original so 12 years old.

Springs/shocks are a direct fit and ARB can be fitted to either the existing wishbone mounts (stock mk4 style) or using LCR droplinks from the strut.

Hubs are handy if you want to go low, but aren't required to run a stock LCR setup which is ~25mm lower than stock.

They're not knackered at all, hence my point above. Just original so 12 years old.

Springs/shocks are a direct fit and ARB can be fitted to either the existing wishbone mounts (stock mk4 style) or using LCR droplinks from the strut.

Hubs are handy if you want to go low, but aren't required to run a stock LCR setup which is ~25mm lower than stock.

Ahh I see, that's some good info to know, cheers, dude.

Have you had the wheels aligned correctly yet?

If you are getting it done in Hampshire, Denmead Tyres have been very good to me. Took a little effort to get them to understand the concept of a non fixed camber adjusting top mount, but they really did put in the effort and got what I wanted in the end.

Sweet, cheers bud. What did they charge you to set it all up?

I need to ensure the top mounts are as symmetric as possible which I'll do when I get back from riding, then set the caster as close to equal as I can get it at home. Then it's just a case of heading up and getting it all aligned properly asap (Y)

Edit; Will finally get round to sticking the new turbo and mani on when I'm back on base again, hopefully!

• Like 1

Lots of Locost stuff has been popping up for sale recently, but they're not half as fun as a Caterham/similar really. I was also quite surprised at how non-low-cost the series is to take part in, when I looked at having a go for the RN team. Decided against it when I realised I could effectively go to twice as many track days in any other car :P

Sweet, cheers bud. What did they charge you to set it all up?

I need to ensure the top mounts are as symmetric as possible which I'll do when I get back from riding, then set the caster as close to equal as I can get it at home. Then it's just a case of heading up and getting it all aligned properly asap (Y)

Edit; Will finally get round to sticking the new turbo and mani on when I'm back on base again, hopefully!

Awesome news dude! I think they charged something in the region of 70 quid. I need to get saving before I go for the flow.

• Like 1

Decided against it when I realised I could effectively go to twice as many track days in any other car :P

The Locost series is one of the cheap ones, but all racing is expensive. As you said, a race weekend is easily double the cost of a track day.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with Jardo! IMO one of the 'other' kits (not Caterham) is far better fun:cost ratio, but I think in reality everyone would have the Caterham if money was no consideration...

• Like 1

Erm right so yesterday I went to my main man charlie at CSK fab in york. Properly sound guy who sorted my exhaust out, definitely don't go anywhere else now as he's cheap and does an incredible job and makes sure it's right but also treats you like a friend rather than a customer. I cannot emphasise enough how much I hate garage places that "book you in" and you have to sit in the waiting room watching tv or reading magazines that are stacked high. It makes me feel weird.
So he got me involved, definitely my bag and what I enjoy!!
I fitted a decat as obviously my exhaust died on track at Blyton.
It didn't fit my powerflow exhaust as to be expected so took it to the above place to get sleeved. It now sounds brilliant, no blowing at all and actually not that louder than before.
Took a pic at work the other day, makes me laugh how small it looks compared to the corsa due to the perspective
I also fitted some rear powerflex black series rear strut bushes
Not really been able to give it some beans due the weather and the awful awful tyres i've got on there. After the track day i've realised just how bad they are in comparison (I used my 16's with PS3's on there)
Today I went about lowering the steering wheel as it's pretty high with my bucket seats being so low!
Removed the trim to get to the bolts
This pic shows the bolt that I removed where the washers will be going to space it out
I then loosened off the bottom two bolts just so I could pull the column down. Due to the angles, it means that when lowered the holes will not line up so out comes the dremel and I elongated the holes :)
I used longer bolts for this step obviously due to the washers taking up more length. Pic just shows the bolt I used. Luckily I had some spare from fitting the buckets
Washers in place
It's literally the worst comparison shot ever but it gives you an indication of the final product.
Before
After
You bastards didn't really expect anything less though really... ha

its really not bad at all, abit sqeally around the corners but that's to be expected lowered on cheap coilovers with standard set up, its only on standard map (150bhp) with just a few mods (decat, intercooler, dv etc) but packing a good punch against more powered cars like mr2's, golf r32s, octavia vrs's so very happy indeed! that was my 4th time at castle combe so ive decided to give Thruxton ago next month :)