The Car Thread

MadManMike

Decided on where i'm taking my car to be remapped next week.

RS tuning in Leeds, meant to have the best proven gains for my engine thus far, 1.8 TDCi. Their last run saw this.

115bhp, 184 ft/lb taken to 146bhp, 262 ft/lb

Apparently that wasn't with any other mods. Mines been de-catted, has a cheapy cone filter aswell as all the inlet been cleaned out spotlessly and EGR blanked. It's a proper custom map, should hope so for £400!

That place is about 2 mins from my work :P is it a new place? I only noticed it recently. If you get bored while they are doing it you can go to the sexy superstore over the road.

Just spent a couple of hours hoovering out my car, front and back was easy but the boot is an absolute twat and is going to take at least another couple of hours to get anywhere near clean. Usually I wouldn't complain about having redheads in my boot (oooh errrr haha) but the previous owner must have had a ginger dog and the boot is covered in hair which is a nightmare to clean out. I am using a hair removal brush, the hoover and also plucking some of the hairs out with my fingers :(

I will be happy once this job is finished!

Next job on the list is to clean up the exhaust tips with some Autosol, I hope this is a much easier task!

I need opinions, and I know people are keen to show them on here ;)

I'm having second thoughts about my engine choice for the mini. Up until now I've been planning to use a 1.8t 20v Audi engine, tuned to 250-300bhp. The thing is, the more I think about the power delivery of turbo engines, the more I have second thoughts about using one in a small light weight RWD car that will probably be a bit twitchy at the best of times.

The other option that I'm currently considering is a hybrid of 2 audi V6 engines. They'd go in the hole without changing my plans at all, as it's all designed around standard Audi A4 mountings. The idea would be to use a 2.4l 30v V6, bored out to take pistons from a 3.0l, or aftermarket pistons from a 2.1 4-pot. This would give a short stroke (very over square) V6, which with the 5v heads would have the potential to rev very well. I'd then fit throttle bodies, bring the compression ratio up to around 12.5:1, fit some savage cams and make up inlet and exhaust manifolds for it, and I think it could be easily be putting out similar power to the 1.8t.for a similar budget, but I'd get instant and much more controllable throttle responce, and the sound of a lairy V6 on ITB's. Plus it would likely be more reliable than the turbo motor, and much simpler/cleaner to install without the need for so much pipework or fancy control. In my head I'd expect them to be a similar weight. The V6 is all aluminium, while the 1.8t is an iron block, and then you loose the turbo, heavy manifold, charge cooler, extra pipework ect.. of the turbo engine. I also think they could well come to a similar cost. I know N/A builds are expencive, but using motorbike throttle bodies the only real expencive bit would be the cams, which still wouldn't be a huge amount more than the turbo I'd want.

I'm really not sure on this one. I do need to find weights for both engines, but the trouble is I'd be using both so much barer than they are in the production cars.

So yeah, assuming they cost and weigh the same, what would you guys do? 2.5l V6 screamer or 1.8 20vt?

I'm having second thoughts about my engine choice for the mini. Up until now I've been planning to use a 1.8t 20v Audi engine, tuned to 250-300bhp. The thing is, the more I think about the power delivery of turbo engines, the more I have second thoughts about using one in a small light weight RWD car that will probably be a bit twitchy at the best of times.
The thing that has really surprised me about the 1.8 20vt in my Leon is how smooth the power delivery is. I was really expecting the turbo to kick in and push me back into the seat more but it is just really smooth. I imagine with a decent tune taking it to 250-300bhp could easily still be done in a way that the power is delivered in a predictable manor. I almost didn't post this because of my very limited mechanical knowledge but meh I will post this anyway :P

Out of interest, are there any other mini's with either engine mounted in the rear? I think it not be cool to go for the most unusual and different option :)

I'm not aware of any others with a similar set-up at all. Closest I've seen's a rover V8 on a Renault gearbox.

I know the 1.8t's are smooth as far as turbo set-ups go, and I'm sure they'd be fine with 99% of driving, I'm just thinking that when you're fighting to keep control of the back end, every ounce of throttle control is a bonus. Even in my MX-5 which was really under-powered, changing to the new ECU with much more responsive metering made a noticeable difference to how controllable it was when the back end stepped out.

1.8t guys, any idea what sort of RPM the standard valve gear's good for?

7800rpm on stock valve gear :)

Standard valve gear is good for 8500rpm with rod bolts. :)

wtf are you on about? what do rod bolts have to do with valve gear? and since when did the globally accepted rev limit of 7800 on stock valve gear rise to a staggering 8.5k?

7800rpm on stock valve gear :)

wtf are you on about? what do rod bolts have to do with valve gear? and since when did the globally accepted rev limit of 7800 on stock valve gear rise to a staggering 8.5k?

This is what I have been told by the globally accepted and always right members of ASN. That with rod bolts 8500 is doable. Pretty sure I saw Bill post it once.

I think they're trying to point out that I specifically asked about the valve gear, not the bottom end.

The reason for that being:

I'm not wanting to know for a 1.8t, and there may well be differences in the bottom end of the V6.

If I'm going to bore the block out, I'll be doing a light re-build of the bottom end anyway, at which point I'd likely try and loose some weight from the rods/pistons and change bolts.

Using a 77.4mm stroke crank means the piston speeds and accelerations will naturally be lower than in the 86.4mm stroke 1.8t.

Still, if you're right that the rod bolts aren't safe after 7800, it means I'd need to uprate them at between 8400 and 8700 in the V6 depending on how they fail.

Edited by RobinJI

I am not even f**king joking.

I have just been suspended for signing up to gay times on my work account.

100%, totally, deadly serious. Just came into work, straight up to the office and suspended for gross missconduct.

You horrible f**king c**ts.

:o That's really, really not cool. Screwing with a personal account's one thing, but someones work one's a whole different story. I honestly think the guys responsible here should be e-mailing Jarrods boss with an explanation and apology. Taking the piss on a forum's a completely different thing to actually effecting/damaging someones real life away from the computer.

You text me and asked me to delete any references to your email. I laughed at you lots.

Would hardly say you "got" me!

I presume you were never told the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" when you were younger?

People are just going to think you are even more of a dick now! I would be prepared for more spam email now!

No spam email please! Sign me up to my personal email as much as you want, but not to work ;)

If I had of made one person think "oh shit" as payback for signing me up it would have been worth it. The only person who was actually a bit oh shit" was Lou ringing me up like WHAAAAT! Haha.

-

I finished my map this morning, my graphs and logs are showing a healthy torque improvement an 8k limiter and about 9KW power increase. Well happy.