The Car Thread

MadManMike

I've had to pull the Porsche's gearbox out to attack a bolt that snapped when I was taking the mounts off to fill them with polyurethane. On the bright side, it's let me pull the gear linkage out as it was hilariously warn out, leading to an impressively floppy gear stick. It'll all be getting replaced with rose joints, and I'll extend the gear stick and slightly reduce the fore/aft throw while I'm at it. If all goes to plan it should make it a little nicer to drive.

Extended gearstick will feel weird surely? They are already pretty high up (assuming you have taken out your seat spacers?). I have a short shift kit for mine but haven't got round to fitting it yet. How are you getting on with the filled mounts? Is it much noisier?

Car's starting to take shape nicely, after a year of owning it I've replaced so much stuff.

All new brakes, suspension, sound system, wheels, tyres, geometry, rod ends, exhaust, steering wheel...

This weekend I'll be replacing the passenger rear hub and drive shaft to stop the worrying "wob wob wob wob" noise, then she's all ready for track action!

I know a few people were interested, but is there any definites for Llandow next month?

Edited by MadManMike
I didn't change the suspension twice.

Today I had a day off.

So I cleaned the Abarth.

You learn a lot about a car cleaning it I think, I learnt that the new side front wheel has been refurbished, and that the nearside front bumper has been resprayed. Although it took a bit of looking! 

I took some photo's, and I'm going to post them here.

12141609_1675731119308729_15956588386268

12122839_1675730875975420_75602149732589

12079702_1675730859308755_68810236690893

12107851_1675730845975423_61371003295995

12115598_1675730872642087_19748695202465

12107204_1675730765975431_11548184769726

12074710_1675730682642106_71733063031972

12118785_1675730685975439_88640733466300

And a video of the hilarious exhaust.

The sound is totally not befitting to a 1.4 hatchback haha.

Is it a diesel?

Yeah man!

Was that exhaust a genuine fiat option?

That's factory fit, totally standard!

12074811_1675734725975035_8340643651496711206101_1675734742641700_90606584657620

It pops and flames constantly, if you're giving it a decent drive at night on up shifts you'll get a bright yellow flash behind you like you've gone through a speed gun. 

There are better video's than mine on Youtube, I might take a drive by tonight just for a laugh.

Edited by Pashley26

my "Ferrari" is due to MOT by 3pm today.

Checked the car, has oil (bit lower than half), has coolant, that is not dirty, brakes are working, so does handbrake.

There should not be any problems, although I do expect some advisories as it is a 15 year old beater..

Extended gearstick will feel weird surely? They are already pretty high up (assuming you have taken out your seat spacers?). I have a short shift kit for mine but haven't got round to fitting it yet. How are you getting on with the filled mounts? Is it much noisier?

I've got an extender and weighted knob in my Civic, but has had a short shift fitted to bring the throw back to a sensible range. Feels brilliant. image.thumb.jpeg.962599ed98a0579edc623ab

my "Ferrari" is due to MOT by 3pm today.

Checked the car, has oil (bit lower than half), has coolant, that is not dirty, brakes are working, so does handbrake.

There should not be any problems, although I do expect some advisories as it is a 15 year old beater..

Wipers washers horn? 

Unfortunately with it being a Corsa of that age if it hasn't already had them, brake pipes and flexible hose ferrules are a favourite for being excessively corroded on them. 

Wipers washers horn? 

Unfortunately with it being a Corsa of that age if it hasn't already had them, brake pipes and flexible hose ferrules are a favourite for being excessively corroded on them. 

wipers are working on full auto, but on intermittent use, they stop halfway, as there is a connection problem somewhere in the motor afaik

Washers, like the windscreen water jets? working

horn works

there is also a leak from the drivers side footwell, and for that you would need to take out many things up front, and seal the brake pedal on the firewall. had no time so far :(

What is the current road tyre of choice for something that is good in most conditions including wet Scottish B roads?

I use Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres. They're A rated in the wet and only C rated for wear.

I can nail my car on roundabouts and it sticks nicely. They seem to be pretty good all-rounders and I got a full set fitted for under £200, so can't complain.

Are the wipers themselves in good condition though? Also bulbs (including numberplate)- simple things to overlook.

they are brand new all around, bulbs working.

ill check the number plate ones, have not checked them before

tyres are fine, 3 mm threads all around, has fluids...

Just seen this on another forum -

http://www.enginecarbonclean.com/

The service costs around £100.

What it is, is disconnecting a vacuum hose from a hot engine and making the engine drink a pint of water, a trick as old as the internal combustion engine. They make it sound so scientific :lol:
people will buy anything

unrelated - I don't know what's wrong with the forum, but it's unbearably bad to try and use on my phone!

Edited by Jolfa

yeah it's me with the boosted one, to be honest with you if I could start over again I'd sooner have a built k20 than boost.

Have you got a built gearbox, thought about changing your final drive to 5.1? If you haven't that's what I would do if it's already a high comp k20. 

its just a standard dc5 gear box in the car. How much of a difference would changing the final drive make for the likes of motorways? I dont have a trailer and its a 2 hour drive to my nearest circuit.

I don't plan to extend it much, it's just that the standard stick's been butchered by a previous owner, and while I'm repairing it I thought I'd modify it to add a little length. Probably only around 40mm, which will put the top of the stick around the centre of the steering wheel. I've not had a chance to drive it really with the filled engine mounts, I started on the gearbox ones straight after fitting the engine ones. 

Sam, the stick in the Porsche is pretty high as standard, so I get where Paul's coming from. The transmission tunnel's really high in them because of the rear mounted gearbox. I loved the raised one in my scirocco so figure it's worth a go. Definitely a worthwhile thing in any typical hatchback or saloon car. If I find it odd being so high, but i can always cut it down. 

I don't plan to extend it much, it's just that the standard stick's been butchered by a previous owner, and while I'm repairing it I thought I'd modify it to add a little length. Probably only around 40mm, which will put the top of the stick around the centre of the steering wheel. I've not had a chance to drive it really with the filled engine mounts, I started on the gearbox ones straight after fitting the engine ones. 

Sam, the stick in the Porsche is pretty high as standard, so I get where Paul's coming from. The transmission tunnel's really high in them because of the rear mounted gearbox. I loved the raised one in my scirocco so figure it's worth a go. Definitely a worthwhile thing in any typical hatchback or saloon car. If I find it odd being so high, but i can always cut it down. 

nice 1 should feel good if you have short throw with stick also. I took a gander at height of my stick today and its near on centre with the wheel also and feels awsome used to hate going bk to the audis stick feeling like stirring soup.

20150425_170312_zpswfzuojjz.jpg

Edited by greg1040
  • Like 1