The Car Thread

MadManMike

The start is good (seeing the 'unadulterated' laps), the end is good (all 3 cars on track hooning), the middle is less interesting but it was cool to hear about the subtle differences between them.

Chris Harris was racing with us the other weekend, he is surprisingly slow - his comment along the lines of 'nobody could go more than a few tenths faster than the times I just set' made me chuckle.

http://www.theresultslive.co.uk/mission-motorsport-race-remembrance/2015-race-remembrance/day-qualifying-1

http://www.theresultslive.co.uk/mission-motorsport-race-remembrance/2015-race-remembrance/night-qualifying-1

Mark Willets (qualified next to him in both day and night quali) is one of the guys who races with us, he was 4 or 5s a lap slower than the sort of pace Bessell ran at the same weekend. That Mk4 Harris was in has been hugely tweaked too, 160bhp: https://www.facebook.com/missionmotorsport/photos/a.1025848040791177.1073741872.291621860880469/1025848950791086/?type=3&permPage=1

Yea he does annoy me with that a bit – funny to see the stats to show it. He's clearly not awful, but when he'd done a lap with plenty of missed apexes and a weird ignorance of 'slow in fast out' and then mentioned nobody could go much quicker...

6 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Mark Willets (qualified next to him in both day and night quali) is one of the guys who races with us, he was 4 or 5s a lap slower than the sort of pace Bessell ran at the same weekend. That Mk4 Harris was in has been hugely tweaked too, 160bhp: https://www.facebook.com/missionmotorsport/photos/a.1025848040791177.1073741872.291621860880469/1025848950791086/?type=3&permPage=1

Just thinking about that car more – he wasn't the one that crashed it was he? I remember it being in the pits for some repairs to the front bumper, but can't remember the impact.

4 hours ago, JD™ said:

Just thinking about that car more – he wasn't the one that crashed it was he? I remember it being in the pits for some repairs to the front bumper, but can't remember the impact.

Yeah Bessell put it in the wall - he was avoiding two other cars snakng around coming back onto the circuit, the evasive action put him on the soaking wet grass and that was that :lol:

10 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Yeah Bessell put it in the wall - he was avoiding two other cars snakng around coming back onto the circuit, the evasive action put him on the soaking wet grass and that was that :lol:

I didn't mean Bessell, I saw his bit and it was clearly unavoidable. I meant was Chris the one who crashed the Poppy mk4?

Drove my micra in snow for the first time today. No problems at all haha. Done 6000 miles now and the only thing that's broken is a clip in the drivers side window so it goes up and down at funny angles, so I just leave it up because it's cold now.

Best car in the world. :P

So yeah - start of this year, was driving a shitty Ford Focus that was guzzling oil like your Mum guzzles dicks.  That shit the bed so I moved on to not having a car for a bit.  Needing one for work I cut a pretty good deal on a Peugeot 206 piece of shit.  Out of the blue, I started working at TartyBikes again, and got to drive Stan and Adam's MX5s round a bit.  The inevitable happened and I bought this:

mx5.jpg

And then this kind of thing started happening.

12227170_1050619924980526_60851888758510

There's been one or two minor niggles with it but courtesy of Adam being the shit and having a warehouse at my disposal, it's meant nothing major, and I've put a f**k of a lot of miles on it (although I totally haven't if my insurance company read this.  That's also definitely not me on track in that car too).  Even just driving to and from work is really fun because it's just a really nice thing to drive around.  I thought it'd lose it's lustre after a month or two, but it hasn't yet and there's still loads more to learn and bits and pieces to do to it to keep it fresh as well.  Also, doing some more of this at Anglesey this weekend = f**king yes.

12095034_10153595715871147_7857109673314

EDIT:  Took 6 or so goes to get that f**king image to work.  I stopped coming here just after the forum change over happened, forgot how infuriating that shit is...

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

I didn't know it was a shit circuit though, but i'm game for whatever really. Just need some mega cheap 15" track wheels. Don't suppose you have any for sale from the cup you had?

I've got some from my MX-5 that will fit a Clio. Black, 8 or 10 spoke, something like that. Straight, not kerbed, bit tatty generally, but perfect as track wheels. Got some T1Rs on at the moment which are hilarious fun, fronts on about 6mm and rears 3-4mm tread. £150 delivered or £120 if you want to pick em up?

5 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Loads better, but loads more expensive.

It's an hour away from me and dirt cheap, so it's a no brainer for me :)

Not massively - I've seen a few Oulton days this month for £99, Cadwell at £89... and it'd save a lot on travel costs too.

Definitely see how it's ideal for you though Mike, dead close!