The Car Thread

MadManMike

I got the valance fitted and took a few shots when I went food shopping. The car needs a good polish but is starting to look the way I want it now, one day it'll get a proper paint job but it looks good from several hundred meters away!

Old V new

DSC_0383_zpsd1golpca.jpg

DSC_0396_zpsfvznyvr6.jpg

DSC_0402_zps07k7i0ot.jpg

DSC_0403_zpsioljh0e1.jpg

DSC_0408_zps2glrpvov.jpg

DSC_0417_zpsk8c0zpex.jpg

Sometimes it is good compare to how it was before...

P7210362_zpsd6c52bec.jpg

• Like 2

Todays progress...slightly more successful day!

De-pinning parts of the Golf loom for the bits I need to swap over. The OEM loom tape is SOOOOO sticky, horrible stuff!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.f0860338997fb8eea9504a0

Diesel throttle pedal loom split from the loom. 6 wires direct between the pedal and the engine (via the blue plug in the scuttle panel), and 1 goes to relay 109 which supplies ignition power (the taped up one)

image.thumb.jpeg.20078aa220852cf397dd754

The aforementioned relay 109. Red wire goes to terminal 30 (permanent power), blue wire goes to the fusebox. All labelled up and ready to be integrated into the TT loom

image.thumb.jpeg.cfb03148fe7a8600f59cab9

It fits! Only a test for at the minute though, I wanted to see how it sat in the bay, and to get an idea of the downpipe route (which I don't think will be too bad in all honesty, will be similar to the TFSI turbo downpipes). Just need to take one of the heatshields off the bulkhead because the turbo intake pipe catches it. Will pull it back out to change the turbo and inlet (going to use a Passat PD130 inlet, which has a right hand entry rather than the standard left hand...which should mean a far better FMIC route (similar to the K04 charge pipe, but the opposite way around)

image.thumb.jpeg.d6613b0a9b8255d212ed240

• Like 4

Looking for some recommendations for brake pads and discs for my mk6 fiesta zetec s.

budget of around £80 for both pads and discs. Car is used as a daily and an occasional hoon o the weekends 

Been looking at mintex discs and EBC greenstuff pads. 

Fire away with any suggestions

1 hour ago, Rowlly21 said:

Looking for some recommendations for brake pads and discs for my mk6 fiesta zetec s.

budget of around £80 for both pads and discs. Car is used as a daily and an occasional hoon o the weekends 

Been looking at mintex discs and EBC greenstuff pads. 

Fire away with any suggestions

£80 surely isn't going to get you anything much better than cheapest auto factor kit?

I've had Green stuff pads on 2 of my cars, the first set I really liked (although they are wildly dusty) the second set literally fell apart, the friction material fell off the backings, wouldn't buy again. Anyone who actually has a clue about pads (which I don't) says they're utter cack too...

Seconded. 

My Green Stuff pads broke apart, as did my Yellows. Wont go near EBC pads now. Running some Ferrodo DS2500 at the moment and for road use/the occasional thrash theyre brilliant, but I havent used them on track or anything. 

Not sure if you can get them for your car, but the Carbone Lorraine CL5+ pads are brilliant, but pricey and more track orientated. 

£80 will only really get you a decent OEM spec brake kit. 

I can't really add to the tech side of this thread as I'm a f**king retard, but I can add a little to the other side of car shit.  For one reason or another I ended up going back to Mid Wales this weekend which meant I got to experience the fun of the A483 at night again.  Rapid, wide, sweepy A-roads for an hour and a bit - don't mind if I do.  Rather than just driving straight home again I thought I'd do some of the fun roads on the West coast, and then cruise up via the Llanberis Pass and the Evo Triangle to have some more fun.  This was the overall drive:

route.jpg

With a bit of a break-down of what was what - this is the Elan Valley to Devil's Bridge section which was single track (but with great visibility) and tech:

route1.jpg

This was the stuff nearer the Llanberis Pass - a mix of nibbly tech stuff, fast open bits and everything in between:

route2.jpg

...and then lastly the Evo Triangle with fun B-road exit route back to the motorway:

route3.jpg

As I didn't have any particular time I needed to be back for I stopped to grab some photos from time to time.  This was one of the Elan Valley reservoirs (that provides water to Birmingham as it happens), the heavy rain has meant it's overflowing a bit:

IMG_8521.jpg

The roads immediately by the 3-4 reservoirs are much like this:

IMG_8526.jpg

But then transition into some tree-lined corridors as you gain altitude:

IMG_8527.jpg

Over the tops it's slightly more open, with an inexplicable amount of hairpins/low speed tight corners that feed directly into narrow bridges:

IMG_8530.jpg

This series of switch-backs (that disappear out of view behind that mound) were fun as f**k.  A little wet, so you could just blitz up them in 2nd, get some slides on anad generally have fun:

IMG_8533.jpg

The series of switch-backs you can see in the distance on this were much the same:

IMG_8534.jpg

Token "Car on fun road" photo (you can see the Mountain Road snaking into the distance in the background):

IMG_8536.jpg

Once you get to the end of the Elan Valley road, you can either stick a right and go back towards the nearest town, or stick a left and go on the Aberystwyth Mountain Road.  This takes you through the hills past the source of the River Rheidol and the River Wye (or Severn or something, maybe the Severn), past some rare bird-of-prey nests, past the Devil's Bridge waterfalls and down into Aberystwyth.  The first part is much like this - open, undulating, great visibility but with a mix of twisty shit:

IMG_8538.jpg

Some sweet jumps:

IMG_8540.jpg

More sweepy shit:

IMG_8544.jpg

But then it goes into uber-tech mode as you dip into a valley and follow the river.  Some big changes in elevation, blind corners, tight chicanes, etc.:

IMG_8545.jpg

But then once you get past that point it opens up as you go past stuff like this weird old abandoned slate mine:

IMG_8551.jpg

Once you've passed that bit and turn out the valley you start gaining height again as you go over the mountains that take you to Devil's Bridge, including this sweet arch.  The road used to originally pass through there up until relatively recently:

IMG_8555.jpg

Bleak Welsh View #239:

IMG_8560.jpg

martin_and_the_daddy_pants.avi (niche reference):

IMG_8562.jpg

Not even joking - 1:57-ish:  

After that it was some fairly fast A-road shit that takes you from Aberystwyth up to Machynlleth then on past some equally bizarrely named towns, but it ultimately leads you up to roads like this which is one of the most fun roads I've ever been on.  This was pretty fast (top end of 4th gear for long spells which feels rapid when you've got stone walls that close to you), but quite bouncy/tight so you had to be fairly on it.  It felt like you were playing some kind of Touge level from a video game, and went on for mile after mile as you headed up towards Snowdonia National Park:

IMG_8563.jpg

Once you went up and over those first few hills it drops down to some valley floors, and you end up with roads like this popping up on your (old, dated) satnav:

IMG_8564.jpg

Bleak Welsh View #510:

IMG_8568.jpg

If it wasn't cloudy as f**k you'd be able to see Snowdon in this photo.  You can just about make up some of the snow-covered lower section:

IMG_8584.jpg

When you're breezing up that road (the A498 just for reference) you're dealing with this.  I imagine it'd be amazing on a sunny, summers day - hoping to go back at some point so I can enjoy the views a bit more:

IMG_8580.jpg

...and lastly, a generic photo of the first part of the Evo Triangle looking pretty bleak:

IMG_8586.jpg

The End.  To summarise, cars are fun, and that MX5 represents probably the best £450 I've ever spent.

• Like 8

Nice write-up Mark, some great roads to explore - definitely got those saved for a nice weekend :D

Hopefully this weekend I can crack on with some mechanical tinkering on mine, get it sorted for summer. Engine and clutch is going to be a big old job, but should be great once done :)

4 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Nice write-up Mark, some great roads to explore - definitely got those saved for a nice weekend :D

Hopefully this weekend I can crack on with some mechanical tinkering on mine, get it sorted for summer. Engine and clutch is going to be a big old job, but should be great once done :)

What's actually up with the engine/clutch scenario?  Is there a specific issue with yours or are you upgrading?

4 hours ago, Wrayvon said:

Also why was that car so cheap?! Good work. 

3 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Cos I'm nice like that B)

Pretty much, haha.

If anyone wants to go do a weekend smashing around Wales I'd be up for that.  Some good roads going South/South West from Mid Wales too.

23 minutes ago, Mark W said:

What's actually up with the engine/clutch scenario?  Is there a specific issue with yours or are you upgrading?

Clutch slips a bit and has done since I got the car, I can get an Exedy clutch for about £80 so not very much.

Engine has dead stem seals which have progressively worsened. It used to burn oil when cold, but now it constantly smokes. It's nearly at 250,000 on the clock so it's done a fair amount of distance :)

I can get an engine for about £100, so parts are £180, then I can get a mate to drop them both in for about £100. Silly not to really, given that I've rebuilt almost everything else. Probably worth doing cam belt and water pump at the same time, then the main bits will be totally refreshed.

I'm definitely up for a Welsh smash, let me know when you're next planning something mate!