The Car Thread

MadManMike

Very envious (both of the tools and the fact you have room for them!)

As part of my last training course we spent a couple of weeks in the workshops where they aimed to give everyone a bit of generic knowledge by knocking up some generic chunks of metal - having done a little bit before I was able to put together a few bits for the car. Bonus if you can do it all at home!

• Like 1

It's part of the reason i'm leaving education, the system makes no sense and there's nothing done for those who aren't that academic but are really good with their hands. Schools are wasteful and it's too much effort to sell things as nobody has the time because the job is so demanding. I'll make a donation when I leave, but it won't be money, it'll be resources.

I can't wait to get sorting out my workshop space, I'll be kitted out to make some pretty cool stuff :)

• Like 1

Sooooo....

Subaru ownership has if I'm honest been a very mixed bag so far.

Obviously we know about Key-gate.

Wednesday was Stephanie's Granda's funeral, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to fly up on Tuesday, spend the day supporting the family and then drive the Subaru back on Wednesday evening.

With no working remote fob I've been resorting to inputting the alarms pin code into the drop down security panel in the fusebox; this means unlocking the car with the key, inputting the code to set the alarm, then re-inputting the code again to turn the alarm off, then putting the key in the ignition and starting the car. Slick.

So I won a replacement Sigma M30 fob from from eBay for £15. As duplicate fobs can be easily paired to the existing Sigma alarm.

By the time I left for Newcastle the fob wasn't delivered. Nee bosh I thought, using the pin-pad is a reliable way of starting the car. And at least nobody could start the car without me inputting the code if the keys got nicked again. (notice the use of the word reliable).

13087133_1740411596174014_67730069712125

So, funeral over, family supported, girlfriend stable I got a lift home to start my epic journey to Mordor. 

I donned my trackie B's, put a bit of UK Garage in the cassette deck and hit the road! 

13174194_1740414282840412_77575036570475

The journey was going well.

13083245_1740414212840419_59923403659756

As I sat in traffic, DJ Sammy pumping through the cones I was taking in the amazing fit and finish of the Subaru...On the plus side the AC was as cold as ice, and my MPG I was willing to sacrifice.

Got past that rusty piece of shit they call the Angel of the North and the A1 was free flowing, my toes were getting a nice cool breeze, window down, tunes up. Life was good and I was happy with my purchase.

13178692_1740414292840411_38655822007234

So I thought I'd stop off at Wetherby services for a couple of cans and some Nice N Spicy Nik Nak's. No way I was putting the BP bullcrap in my new super rocket rally car, not with so many Shell stations on the A1. I'm not putting anything in my car unless it's got POWER written on it.

I should have realised my journey was doomed when the M and S petrol station didn't have any Nice N Spicy and I ended up with Skips. f**king Skips?!

Car looked beast mode though.

13138862_1740413902840450_58072442482777

So as I'm making my way back onto the A1 I hit my first issue. Some willy in a Kia towing a house on wheels behind him makes the biggest hash of pulling out into merging traffic I've ever seen, and cuts right across a lorry which ripped the bicycles off the back of his caravan. Knobhead. 

Bells and lights all over the shop I dived onto the hard shoulder, planted the throttle and avoided near certain caravan/bike/lorry death. All the while I'm thinking...

13177289_1740418309506676_81910238209084

So I've made my way to the M1, munching on my Skips, feeling them melt on my tongue, listening to a bit of Boomfunk MC's and tailgating Focus ST's. 

Boom, I see it. Shell station!!!

So I throw out the land anchors and lay my chariot of champions to rest on the forecourt, filled her up with jungle just and strutted my way in. Where I legitimately purchased £40 of fuel and a packet of Chewits.

Go back to my car, put the key in the door, sit myself down into my throne. Alarm pad don't work...

Put my pin number in again; wrong entry. 

At this point I panic, and think I'm double pressing a button or something. So I run into the petrol station and borrow a pencil to use the rubber end to push down the buttons. First digit in...Second digit in...Third digit in...Fourth digit in...BOOM!

Alarm starts going cray cray, lights flashing, hazards on.

Double you, tee, eff.

So I wait 20 seconds for the alarm to stop, try again. 

No luck.

So I get out the car, lock the door, unlock it again, try again.

Still no luck, immobilisers stuck on.

Phoned the breakdown people and pushed the car to the back of the services; opened up my ninth can of red-bull, bought a pack of fags and sat chain smoking on the bonnet for an hour.

AA man phones me...

''I'm coming' out to have a look at ur Soobaroo. Tell us kidda, what's wrong with it?''

''The alarm fob isn't working and it won't recognise the pin when I try to enter it manually.''

''When did you last try?''

''Half an hour ago.''

''Try it again''

Opened the door, put the pin number in...Mother f**ker worked! 

So I thanked the man, put my red bull in the cup holder and off I went!

Just sayin...

13179331_1740418272840013_56992906084652

13100948_1740413762840464_76187397052146

After 9 cans of red bull I couldn't stop needing to wee; I had to stop at literally every lay-by on the A1 to wee.

5 and a half hours later I came under my ''I'm home'' sign.

13124707_1740413719507135_67498431863395

Got home, 7 hours later. Tucked him into his new parking space.

13178953_1740413652840475_88751901836931

And hit the hay.

Woke up the next morning, saw the post man on the way out.

New fob! Coded it up, and shit yeaaaaaah it works.

Then I took it for a good drive, it was amazing. Lad I work with wanted a go, so I gave him the keys and sent him off up the road. He was a bit enthusiastic if I'm honest.

Now it's at home and I really like it.

Going round to Prawns tomorrow to give him a go.

Poobaru win.

Tl;Dr? 

Flew to Newcastle, went to a funeral, Subaru broke down, spent hours at the side of the road, eventually it fixed itself, drove it home without having to turn it off the whole time, new bits arrived, fixed it, took it for a hoon.

• Like 8

Decided i'd put the Capri engine in this weekend. 

Bought a few bits and pieces, calculated the approximate compression ratio (it's about 9.1:1 which is low, but all good for the future...) 

IMG_6395.jpg

Put the Reinz gaskets on after checking for valve clearance with the cheapos (a surprising amount, as it turns out)

IMG_6404.jpg

Put the bottom end together "for the last time"

IMG_6403.jpg

Then went to fit the new spigot bearing... Turned out there was actually the outer race of an old one kicking about in there. Grinders, hammers and chisels came out, followed by frustration followed by a cracked crankshaft. Bollocks.

So, I then had to re-rebuild it with my original crank after measuring the journals etc; fortunately it was perfectly within tolerance and I had a full new set of standard big ends and mains to replace the +.010s that were in with the reground crank. 

IMG_6432.jpg

This full spigot bearing came out really nicely using the bread trick as well; brilliantly bizarre tool but one i'm glad I got to actually use. 

IMG_6429.jpg

So now it's just chilling and waiting. Engine is fully together (again), just need to torque up the clutch tomorrow then try and fit it after work. ~2 hours of daylight is definitely enough time for me to fit it on my own, right...? 

And i've booked an MoT for next saturday. Lol. 

Learning an awful lot, going to miss having stuff to play with in the evenings. 

• Like 6

More information needed on this bread trick... WTF?

It would appear to be this...

Effectively stuff behind the blind bearing with a piece of bread till it's flush to the surface and use a snug fitting bar (to the bearing bore) to compress the bread into a hydraulic ram.  Gets you out of a stick if you don't have a blind bearing puller I guess :)