The Car Thread

MadManMike

However, now you mention it... :P

In related news: I need to get some welding sorted, for exhaust, intake, charge pipe and now additionally some seat subframes. Would like to get it all TIGed up, for the usual aesthetic, but we'll see. Subframes will likely get MIGed by whatever machine I can get my hands on first.

I haven't used my Astra is a few months now and don't really anticipate needing it anymore as I rarely need to drive anywhere (I work from home) and I still have the Porsche to use as well as my parents cars for long journeys. I may as well sell it but i'm not really sure about the best way, presumably Gumtree is a good start as it's a cheap car (£1200-1500 I'm thinking), is there anywhere else I should advertise it? eBay is a touch expensive but good advertising, autotrader also costs and I never seem to find anything decent on there!

New car day!

14441100_10154124646846219_9192013243414

This 4wd dream machine has had a decent service done by a reputable local mechanic about a week ago including new water pump, the owners bought it for $2000, spent a good $500 on it, drove it for 2 weeks before deciding that it was too small for 3 people to live in ( :blink: ) so put it up for sale. 

Whilst driving it to a prominent place where people would see the ad in the window the radiator blew so they resigned themselves to just binning the car, or best offer on the local Facebook group.

Needless to say I ripped the girls arm off at $200 because there is nothing wrong with it, the radiator is fine, it had just got a little hot and chucked some coolant out of the overflow onto the exhaust, it needs a new thermostat which I can get from work for about $5 and it'll be back up for sale at $2500 next week :lol: 

Tune in tomorrow when I finally pick up that Audi 100 I mentioned a while ago for $50 :P 

Also someone out of the blue offered me $1800 for the dog of a MK2 I'm currently driving! I'm winning at cars at the minute :lol:

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, MartMini said:

Celica, gen 7. lets not get started on what cheese they use for 10mm bolts :sick:

I'd guessed Celica. I've seen a few in a similar/worse condition. 

And every bolt Toyota use is cheese! Anything over 5 years old without applying heat snaps! I do lots of work on Rav 4s and Yaris' and its the same story every time. 

Haven't posted in here for ages but thought I'd share a project me and my mechanic are slowly working on. Here's another before / after:

Before:

F54kCKM.jpg

After:

RHeMrM4.jpg

d8dW7XI.jpg

I went in to replace the thrust bearing but it turned out the car needs an overhaul. It covered the last few hundred miles on gravel during the winter (salt), not an ideal combination!

This step was purely cosmetics, but what a fun way to get started :) We opted to keep the bushes installed because they've settled into place nicely. Before that happened everything kept getting loose, it was infuriating.

y3gzfWU.jpg

u117cgJ.jpg

Since the AST colour is orange, I sprayed all aftermarket suspension parts orange :P 

HmqPOUw.jpg

WIRHJi0.jpg

Can't see myself rallying it anymore so this is pretty much an effort to preserve a car which offers a unique driving experience. I've been given the opportunity to drive various sports and super cars in the past year and none came close to how thrilling and involving this M3 is. I've found my perfect car and I actually own it, best feeling in the world. And once we're done with it, it's going to interface with the driver and look better than ever before.

The to-do list is massive but we're taking things step by step. Might be ready in half a year :) 

• Like 6

I wondered where you had gone, that cars a beast so I'm glad you are giving it some attention.

I had a metal rack made out of scrap gates that I built years ago, time hasn't been kind to it and it's weirdly thought out in construction so I have modified it a bit this evening so that it can take different sized off cuts. It will go on wheels and have some dividers so that the different types of metals can be separated, I will also add some tubes for thinner stuff like threaded rod. Hopefully this will mean I can keep my off cuts out of the way as before they consumed a whole wall :P

2016-10-02%2021.59.16_zpsrquwnacp.jpg

It's quite wonky in places as the old rack wasn't particularly straight so i just had to go with it!

Cool to see you're still on with the BMW Alex! 

I've been offered a deal on the B16A2 in my VTI. 

He's offered me Innovative K swap engine mounts (£380 new) that are boxed and sealed still, and a Civic EG sub-frame/steering rack. 
That leaves me with the B series engine loom, mounts and ECU that I could also flog on separately.
They're both essential items to the K swap I'd eventually like to do, but I had hoped I could keep the B16 to pop in my other Civic... decisions...

6 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Decided that I'm getting a lupo 1.7 sdi as a daily whilst I do the turbo conversion to Boris. Going to be rocking 3 cars. wooopa

3? What else you got? 

Im stopping myself buying another one until I sell the Yaris. One Civic at work, one at home and I have my Golf to sell as well :( I quite fancy the idea of getting the golf out over next summer for a few trips though. 

Edit: I approve of turbo Clio. You boosting the standard engine or building to suit? 

Edited by SamKidney

25 minutes ago, SamKidney said:

3? What else you got? 

Im stopping myself buying another one until I sell the Yaris. One Civic at work, one at home and I have my Golf to sell as well :( I quite fancy the idea of getting the golf out over next summer for a few trips though. 

Edit: I approve of turbo Clio. You boosting the standard engine or building to suit? 

Im getting a meg 225 and putting that into the clio. Aiming for around 280... For now haha

• Like 1