The Car Thread

MadManMike

Anyone got a link to a "How to fit a stereo to something that's never had one before ever" guide? Thinking of either doing it 'properly' with a shallow sub and some 6x9s or making use of the fairly decent speakers I have that are about to become redundant; @CurtisRiderdo i remember you doing something with a set of computer speakers ages a go? Just wanna build a box with some shit in it to sit behind the rear bulkhead in the Landy, just simple to plug my phone/ ipod into.

Fleet update; Capri's gonna go in the new year as it's starting to really suffer from my lack of interest/ garage/ money and needs a better owner. I also need to progress with my life and having two money pits isn't really conducive to that. I've also got some motivation back for the Landy, just gonna build it up to be what it should've always been. TDI's sold and gone, got a 3.9 Rover V8 running EFI and Megajolt going in next month, then gotta stick a fresh box behind it and beef up the axle a bit. Hardened shafts and an LSD for doing skids. Just need to work out the best way to get the fuel to it and re-drill the flywheel to take a Series clutch. 

• Like 1

@skoze Yep I used some Creative 5:1 speakers, although it's just the sub now. Ideally need to find a 12-13V set up as then it'll run straight off your battery without an inverter. You just need to either have a switch for it or run a relay so it all turn on and off with the ignition. You can get little bluetooth adaptors so you don't need to even plug it in which makes it even more discreet!

An ECU I sold earlier this year has just returned to me because the bloke reckons its defective :( 

It isn't but oh well. I have a use for it.. 

Im collecting a D16z6 (130ish bhp) on Saturday to pop in the daily to give it a bit more go, so I can use it for that once I've altered the map. 

So I got a Tomei gear knob for Christmas, which doesn't fit as my stick is tapered and it doesn't go in deep enough to touch the thread... I've ordered a short extension which hopefully will do the trick without making the shift too long.

I also test fitted my new ducktail today:

15697320_10157907776480587_7012530157907

Liking how it looks, so I've taken it in to GhettoBooth V1.2 for painting:

15781317_10157908172940587_7951425301188

It's clearly going to be a very different shade of red, with some rough-as-fook patches, but it'll do for now...

• Like 3

Tonight I've been pretty naughty! Standalone ecu, custom made driveshafts and modified inlet manifold and throttle body so I can run it on my pedal box. £960 but my man maths is kicking in because the ecu is normally £850, driveshaft manufacture is £220 PLUS both of my Megane and clio driveshafts but as I bought them second hand I can just sell my driveshafts on now and recoup further cash. Same with the inlet manifold. Bargain. 

Things I now need are... Boost pipes, intercooler, decat, brake lines and fittings, remap, brembo adapters, discs, timing belt doing

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

I've got the Mrs involved with the man maths now, she understands 

Bit dangerous innit? She'll know how much stuff actually costs, as opposed to what you've told her it costs. Risky strategy young Daniel

• Like 3

Purchase of above Peugeot has allowed me to get some essential bits and bobs done with the daily driver. 
Ive never serviced it in the time Ive had it, and Im suspicious about the validity of the previous history given the state of the car now Ive really looked at it.. 

First on the list was a change of all fluids, and a good service. 
I've always thought, even though its a 1.4, its felt a bit "flat" compared to my previous ones. 
Exhibit A: 

Spark plug.jpg

Minging. Cant have been changed for a long, long time. 
Certainly seems to run much better, on idle very noticeably so. 

Then the rust.. Thankfully the outer quarter skins haven't been affected too majorly and they wont require a complete replacement. 

weld 1.jpgweld 2.jpg

weld 4.jpgweld 3.jpg

weld 5.jpg

Lots more to do but no rush. Will be nice to have one without the rust... 
The coupe has some areas Id like to attend to but by the looks of it the rust has spread along the inner quarter above the sill as a result of being un-noticed. 

The VTi however has made a short trip back down to the yard. Im hoping to get cracking on that as soon as this ones solid again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ItsMatt said:

I have one in a lot better nick, you can have it for nowt if you come and collect it.

This ones not bad mate, the frost makes it look like it has paint problems haha

As much as Id like to say yes it would mean trains and a long long drive home for me 

Edited by SamKidney

Another step in the right direction, the Commer has been moved out of the wood workshop and into the metal workshop. This is good for two reasons, one as I now nearly have the wood workshop clear ready to actually get it functioning and two because that means the Commer may get some love soon.

2016-12-28%2023.03.02_zpsa4fd90uf.jpg

It hasn't moved for quite a few years...

2016-12-28%2023.03.08_zpsrqnbpdy8.jpg

Temporary home until I reshuffle stuff, It'll go on a rotisserie when I get round to making one.

2016-12-28%2023.03.15_zpsfhjs8bf0.jpg

Other than that some more wiring has been done and the new separating wall is in but I forgot to take photos.... I really need to get this place finished and functioning :(

1 hour ago, Skoze said:

When you say fitting a head gasket I hope you mean buying a bottle of steel seal. 

It pressurised up in 30 seconds from cold haha. 

Got the head off today. Heard horror stories of cracked heads so sourced one for 30 quid. Wrong f**king head. 

Taking a chance now and just fitting a gasket and new bolts. The breaker has been kind enough to offer me my money back for the other head so the repair only stands me at £25.00 

Head is flat/true and hasn't cracked between the valves like they're prone to so fingers crossed 

IMG_0059.PNG

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:40 AM, MadManMike said:

I just wet sanded my ducktail using 1200 grit (Probably too coarse?) and it's gone all patchy and shit...

I've blown it over again with red. Was it a lack of paint causing that, or the fact I used 1200 grit?

I'll say an absence of paint as I've just shined up an Audi wing I did in-between rain showers with rattle cans and 2 go's with 1200 and T Cut equivalent with fairly decent results

it's still not as glossy as I'd like but it's not really noticeable so I'm happy enough :)

On 31/12/2016 at 1:37 PM, Jolfa said:

I'll say an absence of paint as I've just shined up an Audi wing I did in-between rain showers with rattle cans and 2 go's with 1200 and T Cut equivalent with fairly decent results

it's still not as glossy as I'd like but it's not really noticeable so I'm happy enough :)

I just blew it over with another coat and then lacquered it. Not worth spending more on paint etc...

One day I might get the car sprayed properly anyway, so for now this'll do...

I haven't updated this in early a month! I've been mega busy though with Christmas and all that stuff as I'm sure you'll be aware. 

I bought a pedal box just before Christmas as a present to myself. 

20161221_212657_zpsxho5wxx4.jpg

It comes with the master cylinders, reservoirs etc. 

20161221_174845_zps2gsu61hm.jpg

Also treated myself to a decent rivet gun and I've got a riv nut gun on the way too. 

20161231_200653_zpsiuj2mrwe.jpg

Above will be great for the p clips to hold the brake lines to the car. 

Had an hour to spend on the car tonight so got it from this

20170101_165740_zpswyvmmdnv.jpg

To this 

20170101_182723_zpskzqjqotc.jpg

I just need to disconnect the driveshafts and exhaust, mounts and it should come out. 

The woman did good at Xmas too. Got all my favourite pics from the year and put them into a calendar for me. 

Wales Road trip 

20161225_101532_zpszmsdvhlv.jpg

Curby track day 

20161225_101748_zpshhunng1z.jpg

20161225_101956_zpswcbcwvn9.jpg

What a girl! 

Also made some exciting purchases during Xmas break. 

Bought the Standalone ecu 
Custom made driveshafts 
Air inlet with cable throttle plate welded on 

Not actually that much to go now I guess. 

Apart from the clutch and dmf purchase, timing belt fitting and remap. Oh and intercooler and pipework. 

• Like 1