The Car Thread

MadManMike

3 hours ago, Paperclip said:

Any suggestions of a cheap diagnostics tool? Got an engine check light on and just want to see if it's just a 02 sensor or something. As it's going in at the end of the month anyway. 

Come round to the garage and I'll plug it in for nothing mate. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately the pokey tool has revealed more holes in the T25 and therefore i'm going to have to admit defeat :( A shame but at least it's worth something in bits unless I can find another shell for a reasonable price (they are getting a bit silly expensive so I doubt it).

I now need to find a replacement vehicle and have decided that actually a decent sized car with a tow bar and a trailer would be a sensible option as I don't always need the extra load capacity (but when I do I need it to be decent). Ideally a diesel estate would fit me but i don't know which ones have a decent towing capacity and even if they will be enough, I want to be able to transport cars potentially and there may be a need to take some farm equipment. I need to also do another test to allow me to drive with a heavier load as currently I'm capped to 750kg on a standard license from what I understand. I would really rather not have to buy some massive 4x4 if I can help it although I fear i'm entering that territory which the weights i want to pull, does anybody have any advice/car suggestions?

Oh and budget is important I suppose! Ideally around 2k, I could save more if needed though.

Edited by CurtisRider

20 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Come round to the garage and I'll plug it in for nothing mate. 

Yeah I will take you up on that man, could you remind me your mobile number again it's been a while. 

I'm not really going to get around to it until the end of the week I think as got to get through some work this week now. Cheers man! 

14 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

Yeah I will take you up on that man, could you remind me your mobile number again it's been a while. 

I'm not really going to get around to it until the end of the week I think as got to get through some work this week now. Cheers man! 

Will send it over to you on FaceyB 

Front wheel bearing has gone on Soph's mk4 Golf. Not the end of the world and the part itself is cheap but I'd like to avoid a disproportionatly high labour bill so if I can DIY it I will. 

If it comes to it I can remove the whole knuckle and get the new bearing pressed in, but has anyone had success with this type of tool for removal/installation?

9073947_f520.jpg

I can pick one up for £40ish, which I dont mind doing if they work well (though if anyone has one I can borrow, even better!) but if I really need a hydraulic press and the above would be useless if rather know now so I can avoid wasting money :)

Edit: If it comes to it I can always hack out/Dremel the bearing race etc to remove, but if these work it's be a nicer, cleaner solution!

You could make a small hydraulic press for less than £40, it can be bench mounted so it's not in the way. I'made a similar press sort of thing to what you have posted and it worked well however the threads wore quickly and it was only any good for a few presses before needing replacement although I guess threaded rod/bolts are cheap consumables anyway 

34 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

You could make a small hydraulic press for less than £40, it can be bench mounted so it's not in the way. I'made a similar press sort of thing to what you have posted and it worked well however the threads wore quickly and it was only any good for a few presses before needing replacement although I guess threaded rod/bolts are cheap consumables anyway 

I could knock something up, but have limited (read: next to no) facilities for making kit at home, and no bench to mount things too. The main benefit of the type of tool in my previous post was that I wouldn't need to take the hubs off the car which'd be handy. As you say, threaded bar/bolts are cheap to replace if needs be - reckon the rest of the kit was up to the job? Will only be for the occasional bearing so as long as it's not complete pish it'd likely suffice (may be able to get one a tad cheaper, not looked yet!)

In that case go for it, even cheese metal will last a few squashes! Alternatively get a spare hub (they must be pretty cheap now) and have a new bearing fitted on a hydraulic press and then it's a straight forward swap, I paid a tenner to have it done before I built my own press but if you know a local garage they may do it for beers or biscuits

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I did last time, threw the chap a crate and he swapped a pair over for me, I'd just like to avoid removing the hubs from the car if I can to avoid having to replace any bolts and bits :P

Found the above kit for £28 posted so ordered it. Has a 30-day, no questions asked returns policy/warranty and good seller feedback so shall see how we get on.

Was going to say I had Paul Inch press the bearings out and new in on my hubs for a tenner Luke.

After 18 months of having my engine management light on and with the assistance of Mr Rainbird I finally changed my thermostat out. No more check engine light and a car that gets up to and stays up to temperature.

Started to buy all the boring bits to rebuild my engine, might get done sometime this decade....

Also bought a 04 LCR to break, bottom end had gone, was local to my dad who could trailer it and was cheap. So he has a set of Brembo 4 pots for the front of his TT and I've got a freshly dipped and skimmed head to rebuild. Going back this weekend for my MOT and to start ripping the LCR to bits to sell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, craigjames said:

Was going to say I had Paul Inch press the bearings out and new in on my hubs for a tenner Luke

Yeah I had Dan at Filham Moor do the same fit a set when I did Brownie's front end upgrade. Just looking to avoid removing the knuckles if possible. At that price, so long as I get a few bearings out of the kit it's all good. Cheaper than Soph getting it done at a garage so win:win really. 

• Like 1

Snow expected in the next few days so rather than put winter tyres on the 7 I decided to get the winter car going. Turns out that it got rather erm... moldy over the past 1.5 years of being locked away :(

FeX4Ysl.jpg

Literally eveything is covered in mold. Happy that the drivers seat and seatbelts were in the M3. The car started instantly but the exhaust promptly decided to depart, leaving only the exhaust manifold and rear silencer in place :D Very loud now. Took it for a spin and absolutely loved it. 700 kilos, 90bhp and a locking centre diff. It's a superb car this, every single time I drive it which is not often I end up enjoying myself.

Cant wait to give it a proper thrashing :D