The Car Thread

MadManMike

Bit of sheet steel/ally and a little time and thought, shouldn't cost that much really. Plus you're a hobbit, so bringing things a tad higher might help you reach the pedals and still be able to see over the dash, right babe?

Edit; Adam's post didn't show as it's on a new page. My point still stands :P

• Like 2

This exhaust has been a total swine, although I've been doing other jobs in between it has taken most of the day! I've been trying my best to get everything as tucked up as possible but also have had to make new brackets and stuff too. 

Collector modified and a flexi added along with a joining bracket which I still need to make a gasket for.

2017-01-23%2015.46.22_zpsjcxsoeq3.jpg

You can see the old exhaust in situ, it was only half an inch higher when connected before so I've gained some clearance!

2017-01-23%2016.04.18_zpsmqgjbaqk.jpg

Old section removed, fairly worn and dented!

2017-01-23%2016.32.16_zpsbbt3zpvg.jpg

2017-01-23%2016.56.22_zpsfmtysixz.jpg

Frustratingly I don't have enough room for two centre boxes as it has before, can I run just one without too much bother or run another literally just before the rear box, would that be ok or pointless?

Well it's kind of straight through, the centre silencer and back box are both perforated tube jobbies so don't really restrict it. I finished it last night, it's more raspy than I would have liked but it'll do for now. Ground clearance has increased hugely so hopefully it won't scrape much and I won't have to keep getting the car on ramps to repair it!

2017-01-23%2021.11.32_zps7yaxseon.jpg

2017-01-23%2021.36.22_zpsdafadtwe.jpg

2017-01-23%2021.45.16_zpspmrmmkpb.jpg

More random bits of progress tonight. 

Aluminium sheet arrived so stenciled around it with the original brake servo box. Drill holes and now I'm waiting on some tin snips from Amazon. 

20170124_225411_zpsnpz6zdrs.jpg

The bolts in my car that are black are suffering with surface rust so my aim is to replace them all with stainless. 

Got to use my new sexy riv nut gun too. 

Before 

20170124_221455_zpso85x9bnt.jpg

During 

20170124_221015_zpsqdjxvo7b.jpg

After

20170124_221445_zpszrvbsg24.jpg

As I'll be spraying the engine I want to degrease it first. So I've wrapped everything up where water can possibly get in. 

20170124_212851_zpspymzz1mw.jpg

20170124_212900_zpszw3zfwg7.jpg

I'll degrease then remove parts and mask up and spray. Going for a nice zinc etch primer colour. Much like my engine table. 

20161125_143948_zpsn5zixwib.jpg

Got to use this lovely b*****d the other night. 

20170123_204148_zpsyjrko0ef.jpg

Coupled with a brake cutter it gave me a nice finish. 

20170123_204044_zps1lqc9aeg.jpg

Tonight I've just ordered an uprated fuel pump and a short shift for the megane box. 

Starting to get motivated for it now. 

Plans for this week are to fit the battery relocation kit and get the clutch ordered. 

• Like 1

i don't want to open a can of worms, but i was in the new model X Tesla today driving around- and its f**king great. i, sadly, was not allowed to drive it on open roads as im not 21 but i enjoyed it nonetheless. theres 20 of them delivered in the country right now, plus a few test/ company cars. 0-60 in 4.5, 7 seats, 290 miles of range (BMW i3 does 80) regenerative breaking, and enough tech inside to keep you entertained forever. and it comes with free Spotify :P 

Im not stating an electric car debate, i personally love them as much as their fossil fuelled brothers, and i think tesla are going in the right direction. 

they've upped the build quality over the original series model s too. its really nicely done. i'm excited to see a model 3 soon.

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

• Like 1

As a personal car, I wouldn't have a Tesla. It goes against all of my petrolhead instincts - it doesn't take petrol. It doesn't make loud noises. It's too modern.

However, if the range improves further, I'd have it as a company car without a doubt - dirt cheap tax, no fuel costs, comfortable, quiet, lots of toys. All the things I hate about driving a car, but all the things that are perfect when your work means you cover 2000 miles a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

As a personal car, I wouldn't have a Tesla. It goes against all of my petrolhead instincts - it doesn't take petrol. It doesn't make loud noises. It's too modern.

However, if the range improves further, I'd have it as a company car without a doubt - dirt cheap tax, no fuel costs, comfortable, quiet, lots of toys. All the things I hate about driving a car, but all the things that are perfect when your work means you cover 2000 miles a month.

their new p100d has 390 miles of range. they list it as 350 being realistic for road factors. which is darn good!

I watched some Teslas drag race at Santa Pod last year. With the equivalent to 750bhp with 2 motors and 4wd, they are seriously fast. Instant torque makes for a very rapid car! 

Quite an odd experience watching 2 go down the strip together though, drag racing is meant to be loud...not a gentle whirr of tyres/motors! 

1 hour ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

their new p100d has 390 miles of range. they list it as 350 being realistic for road factors. which is darn good!

I did a round trip of 300 miles today, with a planned 320 on Friday. That's a bit too close to the limit for me.

That said, my routes would have Tesla chargers on, so stopping for a drink to top up wouldn't be the end of the world.

They're not on our list at the moment so I couldn't actually choose one, but I'm sure companies will start moving towards these kinds of vehicles once the technology is proven.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Those doors though? Elon Musk needs to get his head examined.

Agreed. I had an unexpected ride in a Tesla S (Uber Black!) and the acceleration was off the hook (naturally we egged him on*).

The big screen in the middle of the dash was nuts, and it was funny having wifi in a car. Also the driver gave us each a bottle of water but I don't think that's specific to Tesla (I didn't drink mine incase it was drugged*).

*I mean what kind of weirdo drives Uber in a Tesla?

they are overkill :P Elon musk gave the patents for all the technology used in Tesla cars away for free, though. the new jaguar Ipace is a model s underneath, and all mercedes share tesla electronics since. which i like. i think he has his head in the right place, its not like he designed it... i should track down whose idea the doors were haha

10 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

its not like he designed it... i should track down whose idea the doors were haha

I know the guy who was chief engineer on the car and they were basically 95% through the final design stage when Mr Musk, in his wisdom, threw his toys out the pram and demanded it had gull wing doors. That set the project back months and costs the company millions but what Mr Musk asks for, he gets...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

they are overkill :P Elon musk gave the patents for all the technology used in Tesla cars away for free, though. the new jaguar Ipace is a model s underneath, and all mercedes share tesla electronics since. which i like. i think he has his head in the right place, its not like he designed it... i should track down whose idea the doors were haha

Mercedes probably...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I know the guy who was chief engineer on the car and they were basically 95% through the final design stage when Mr Musk, in his wisdom, threw his toys out the pram and demanded it had gull wing doors. That set the project back months and costs the company millions but what Mr Musk asks for, he gets...

seeing as its his company, i guess he can do as he pleases. its also his money he wasted.