The Car Thread

MadManMike

Received a few things today. 

Ttv lightened flywheel and r26. R clutch and a 3" scorpion decat. 

And went a bit mad and bought a full intercooler pipework kit and 630cc deka stubby injectors. 

May as well go all out, didn't expect to spend a grand in one day though haha

IMG_20170224_215233_169_zpsdntogitp.jpg

And an edgy pic of the man cave. Tomorrow is belts day! 

IMG_20170224_214046_121_zpskoykwinl.jpg

• Like 2

Had a few people on E38/SCN asking for an update on my long, drawn out, boring car progress. 3 months worth of generic crap with very little to say about my actual car for anyone bored enough can be found here: http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=543007&page=8

I won't copypasta it all in here as it's dull and would take up far more forum than it's worth here, but if you're bored and need to kill a little time feel free to take a look

Here's a quick photo summary:

Went boarding

IMG_20161224_141144_zpsceyhxryy.jpg

Got engaged

FB_IMG_1482428450285_zpsc5zb46ea.jpg

Got a best man

IMG_20170126_192055_HDR_zpsszr4okxi.jpg

Did a few bits to his Golf

IMG_20170127_160022_HDR_zpsefytcbyf.jpg

Been renovating future MIL's house

IMG_20170126_125336_HDR_zpsmznnzp0o.jpg

Picked up an engine, box, lights, ECU, mounts and a shitload more parts for a total of £50

IMG_20161206_115446_HDR_zpswkqdgzyl.jpg

IMG_20161218_141933_HDR_zpslfytf8dp.jpg

Hacked about in the Landy for a bit

IMG_20161230_110127_HDR_zpsdslwouhs.jpg

Proceeded to fill engine mounts with Poly

IMG_20170115_125357_HDR_zpsll4gov8y.jpg

Did a few bits to Soph's Golf

IMG_20161231_103103_zpsi1puxyqp.jpg

IMG_20170108_171304_HDR_zpsdzlffdib.jpg

IMG_20170205_172207_HDR_zpstxi0b2g2.jpg

Played around with some Fords

IMG_20161103_141540_HDR_zps2p0xq3ro.jpg

Killed some tyres

IMG_20170218_131603_HDR_zpsymbdld6j.jpg

Got some seats

IMG_20170208_183334_HDR_zpsec7dt8hv.jpg

Did some electrics and computers to make seats work ok

IMG_20170221_171120_HDR_zpsophj54qj.jpg

IMG_20170221_171135_HDR_zpsseqrfwwg.jpg

Occasionally washed car

IMG_20161202_155556_HDR_zps7pvcnqp7.jpg

• Like 5

I've solved my Lambda predicament! 

After a load of faffing about and trawling endless sites online I finally found a wiring diagram for a UK EP3. 

Swapped some wires across to different pins on different plugs and I now have two fully functioning Lambda and no engine light! 

Picked up my bonnet too, bumpers will be ready for Monday so it'll be on the road that afternoon :D

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

I'd love to post a long winded reply here and announce joyous times, however that would be a lie. And I don't lie.

Short story: Nope, not in yet.

I need to investigate why, but it appears the engine is different. Alignment is a million miles out.

What do you mean by allignment? 

Are you intending on using the ancillaries that are on the replacement or swapping across from old to new? 

Whenever im replacing a lump I stick the two side by side and swap bits across, usually shows up any differences too. 

25 minutes ago, SamKidney said:

What do you mean by allignment? 

Are you intending on using the ancillaries that are on the replacement or swapping across from old to new? 

Whenever im replacing a lump I stick the two side by side and swap bits across, usually shows up any differences too. 

Easier to copy-pasta from the MX-5 forum:

Evening all, looking for some advice please on engine swaps.

I've just taken out a 1.6 from my mk1 Eunos, it's the Jap spec 115bhp long nose from a 1992 car.

The new engine I believed to be the same. We've done the majority of the swap, but we can't get the new engine to line up correctly.

When sat on the engine mounts, the engine sits very high in the bay (As in the bonnet won't close) and the gearbox mounts don't line up under the car.

We noticed there's two holes in the subframe for the mounts to go and we've put them in the lower holes, but that hasn't made much difference.

Are we doing something wrong, or is it possible that later 1.6's had different mounts?

We're totally stuck, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike.

Congrats Mr. Rain bird !

Ibiza failed its mot ; brake pad seperate from its backing on the way to the mot tester :ermm: , cv joint gone and excessive tyre wear on inner edge. Shit

IMG_1056.JPG

Managed to fit the aux belt in the Audi in an evening , bit of a shitter taking the front end off to get to it.

IMG_1048.JPG

Edited by Alex Dark
  • Like 1

Had it confirmed that all mk1 use the same mounts, on both 1.6 and 1.8, so even if it was the wrong engine it should still fit correctly in the bay.

I've booked off Wednesday afternoon to have another look. Engine looks correct, mounting points look the same, mounts look the same...

We were both totally shattered so there's a chance we've missed something obvious.

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

@MadManMike I know yours isn't an NB but I believe the mounts are the same. Does this help at all?

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=414218

Thanks for the link, but no, not really - removing and installing the mounts is different in my case, because both engines were already out, so I could directly compare new with old. We tried two methods of install:

1) attach mounts to engine and lower in.

2) attach mounts to subframe and lower engine on to mounts.

Both methods ended up with the same result, which is why I'm so confused. We need to look at it again and hope that there's something obvious, as Googling / forum research hasn't shown anyone else with the same issue.