The Car Thread

MadManMike

3rd gear syncro/detent really isnt happy :( Feels far too "easy" (for want of a better word) and kinda just falls into 3rd gear with no resistance/click like youd expect.

Shame as the rest of it has been spot on all evening. Doesnt whine when in 3rd and doesnt pop out, 1st and 5th are okay too. Hoping maybe a set of new syncro's and detents will resolve it. Eyeing up an M-Factory 1.5 way plated LSD to throw in there too while its in bits. 

Alternatively I might try source a DC5 gearbox with the better ratios and OEM LSD but theyre mega money. 

I'm shit at updating. Even shitter at remembering to take pictures. Here's a brief description of my weekend just gone:

Last weekend I did an oil and filter change on the MK. Whilst I was there I thought I would replace the rocker cover gasket as it was weeping a bit.

That turned out to be a bit annoying - previous owner had glued it in... much scraping needed. Eventually got it all off and new one seated flat.

All seemed well, so drove home - happy days. Upon putting it back in my garage I noticed a blob of oil on my drive :( I then looked out onto the road to see blobs all the way down it! Doh! 

My seeping rocker cover was now leaking. God dammit.

Left it for the day as had to go out......

Sunday came around so I replaced it again - much easier this time as I didn't glue it.... 

Put it all back together and fired it up - only firing on 3 cylinders :( Swapped 2 HT leads (I think that's what they're called?) over - sorted.

Turned it off whilst I put the bonnet back on and opened the gate etc to take it out.

Now it won't start.
Great! 

Now I have to figure out what I disturbed....

Tune in next week to find out what else I can break!

P.S Probably should have mentioned I don't know my way around a car at all mechanically, the most I've ever done is oil changes really so doing a gasket was actually a first for me!

Edited by Wrayvon

Some cars need the "glue" - the MX-5 cam cover gasket needs some "instant gasket" dabbed into the corners, otherwise it leaks, so that's probably why the previous owner did it on yours.

Can't offer much guidance on the other points, but hopefully that helps with the leak...

I must admit, I was starting to think perhaps there was a reason it was stuck down. Once it's running again I'll see how this one gets on (luckily the car came with some spares, so not had to buy anything yet (other than fuel....). If it fails, I'll try some of that instant gasket stuff you suggested.

Cheers! 

Thought I might as well publicly shame myself. Some of you already know from Facebook, but basically the problem was - well, there wasn't a problem.

As soon as I got there I noticed that the back of the engine was sat in just fine. The front was higher than it should be, but that was just the weight of the gearbox pushing the front up. It does stick out at the front, but the lump in the bonnet allows for that. Once the gearbox was jacked up, the engine straightened and fitted fine.

We were both exhausted on Sunday, so I thought it would end up being something silly, especially as I couldn't see anyone else having the same problem.

Heading there tonight, hoping to fire it up! :)

Removing the gearbox fill plug was a bitch, that weird square plug is a SHIT idea, Mazda.

• Like 3

Day 4 in the Civic. 

Good fun for a quick spin, shit to drive everyday, but should be good on track. 

The 306 was genuinely a much nicer place to be in at 7:00am before work, or any time I have to go anywhere for any distance... 

Looking to change insurers as LV are being collosal dicks about insuring a second car. Will at least allow me to fully "track" prep the Coupe without having to bare it everyday if I have the 306 to use too. Wouldn't be so bad if the engine mounts weren't as hard as they are.. 

I made it slightly more bareable on Tuesday by fitting a DC2 rear silencer. Near silent driving normally but sounds lovely when you're in that "vtec yo'" mode. 

IMG_0429.JPG

STARTED THIRD TIME, BITCHEZZZZ!

So happy :D

Need to fit the clutch slave (New one, the one on there is shot) and a front temp sensor / fan control thing (New one, the one on there is also shot).

Also need to fix a coolant leak (Round pipe no longer round, so needs rounding) and I need to fit the gear stick and interior.

After that it just needs a run around to make sure everything works ok. We've replaced clutch fluid, gearbox fluid, engine oil, coolant.

Currently a bit tappy, but I'm hoping it's because it's been sat for a while.

• Like 4

Hoping my temp sensor and clutch slave turn up tomorrow, then we can get her on the road and check that all the gears work etc...

Two weeks til my holiday, so the deadline is fast approaching... Should be fine though, only two or three minor jobs left :)

MOT day:

wake up early to fix little things

fix little things

moves on to intermittent horn issue

little horn issue causes sparks and smoke from horn wire

little horn issue caused xenon light to blow, the igniter thing to blow, and both sidelights to burst.

little horn issue had now become a huge issue.

after spending 600 on it already yesterday, im done. 100%.

The Clio 182 must go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TROYston said:

MOT day:

wake up early to fix little things

fix little things

moves on to intermittent horn issue

little horn issue causes sparks and smoke from horn wire

little horn issue caused xenon light to blow, the igniter thing to blow, and both sidelights to burst.

little horn issue had now become a huge issue.

after spending 600 on it already yesterday, im done. 100%.

The Clio 182 must go.

So you let a small problem become a big problem by not sorting it originally. How is that the cars fault. What did you spent £600 on? 

• Like 1

Since i bought the car, the horn issue has been there, but the steering wheel was sticky, so put it down to that, with the wheel and button adaptor, the issue remained.

cleaned the connections to the horn its self to no joy.

Didnt say that it was the fault of the car.

tyres, filters, oil, plugs, zorst parts, fuses, jets, and such. Tyres still havnt come, so yesterday had a part worn put on to replace the one that would of failed. Will return them once they have arrived.

Writing a honest car ad now, the cars had its belts done, and is on just under 70k.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/bg-clio-ff182-70k-electronic-issue-servicing-belts-dephaser-pump-proof.805233/

Edited by TROYston

Had the Clio dyno'd this morning... somewhat disappointed to say the least. Here is why;

GRml46Z.jpg

The positive is that it has another mapping session booked in for the 13th of March, will will sort out that AFR and hopefully get me to the 190bhp I wanted.

• Like 1

Productive day. 

My mate Tom finally sourced the interior loom we need to make the B16A work in the CRX. 

Que just under an hours work and the old D16a9 is out (out of picture): 

IMG_0444.JPG

And the same time again, B16A fitted:

IMG_0447.JPG

Tomorrow we're taking the dash out to access the old loom that we have to replace with the VTEC loom he's bought. 

Coming on well, and with a factory weight of around 940kg and 170bhp it should go nicely too.

5 hours ago, Haz said:

Had the Clio dyno'd this morning... somewhat disappointed to say the least. Here is why;

GRml46Z.jpg

The positive is that it has another mapping session booked in for the 13th of March, will will sort out that AFR and hopefully get me to the 190bhp I wanted.

Wouldn't worry about dyno figures at all. Didn't you make 182 on a dyno a few years back? So many differing factors to affect the final figure, ambient temps, how it's strapped down, airflow available. As long as it drives spot on which I'm sure it does! 

Yeah, made 183 first time I had it rolled. Not worried about the power, mainly the AFR at the higher RPMs. It's pretty lean and it definitely feels more powerful with the cams. Other Clios on the day were making there expected power, and mine was not, so thhink there's more to do.

It has got me really interested in mapping though, so maybe down the line I will buy a cheap car which maps easily and teach myself.

Yesterday I drained the fuel tank and finished off my rollover jigs, which let me get the car up in the air and on its side. It's sooo much nicer not lying on the ground or destroying my back crouching down to work on it! 

IMG_20170304_171523_233.jpg

• Like 5