The Car Thread

MadManMike

2 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Remember your ranting post before about all the little issues and stuff? This is the pervert example of why you shouldn't bodge cars and sort it properly. Next you'll be complaining "ohhhhhhh myyyy goddddd this piece of shit cars exhaust mounts have broken" cause and effect and all that. Also be worth checking out the recent news article about the couple poisoned by exhaust gas. Do things right for f**ks sake. 

Wrote a long comment. 
But deleted it.

So
Okay.

Picking up a gearbox tonight. 

£150, bargain! 

Also got a little Citroen C3 for sale if anyone knows someone for a cheap car. 

1.4 Turbo Diesel, injector seals done, gearbox and clutch replaced as old one had a whine, 94k miles, serviced and ready to go as of tomorrow once it's been valeted. 

£600.00 

• Like 1

Ironically it stayed on my phone.

I went into detail about the exhaust and the only bodge that is on the car, whats been done to it.

Long, pointless, a bit edgy because i dared to question the death of those two in relation to exhaust gases, and a genuine question, as you also have a 182. 

But its not worth getting into really.

10 minutes ago, MartMini said:

Wasnt there something a while back you was going to lash up, and had half the forum telling you to do it properly? Maybe he means that....

Oh you mean the welded cage feet that I specifically bought a welder for? Yeah maybe. Let's not be too bitter though mate eh! 

• Like 1

Always wanted a Bentley Turbo R, come into owning a 182, as it was for sale, the day i didnt have a car by a good friend. Or did you mean regarding Dans comment?

I wasnt going to mention anything about dans car? Ill post the comment, to stop any misconception to what i meant.

The comment was:

The exhaust mounts have all been changed. Every bushing and bearing on the rear has been changed, the rear end was nearly falling off when i got the car.

I read that article, and honestly, there is a few stories going about related to that, some say air con gas, some say exhaust, some say some other shit reading the comments. Exhaust gas, personally, would be obvious it was f**king you up, the smell, the stinging of the eyes, the headache, everything should of been warning signs to them, but i was not there, so cannot put myself in that situation, i am just talking from previous experience.

The manifold to cat fitting kit i have are two genuine Renault ones, and a shitty NWP one, i ordered one through NWP, got inpatient and then went to renault, ordered one, didnt want to wait two days so went with a Renault master tech mate, to the workshop to get one. So the kit is good, and i have two spare, thats not the issue.
I think that maybe the cat is not genuine, maybe you could clear this up for me, the manifold has the washers to keep the bolt inline, but there is just the 'c' section on the cat, imo should these not be a 'o', dont know how else to say what i mean. So the bolts, can move outwards, like they have.

Unfortunately, some bodges have to happen, i am nearly out of debt, so all priorities are on that, so do what i can when needs must.
Wipers were siezed, sorted.
Wiper motor assembly f**ked up, got a new one.
Starter was having issues, 2 new starter motors later, issue gone.
Car was letting water in, blocked off hole, took all the interior out to dry for a few weeks.

Horn died due to shorting out and frying wires, wired(badly but sufficiently) a horn in for the MOT, new squib on the way to see if that resolves the issue.
Lights died, brand new ballasts and igniter box things,.

Rear end bushings/bearings were done by a local mechanic. ( the subframe was literally holding on by completely worn out bushings)

Edited by TROYston

If the cat fixing holes are open ended slots then a decent thickness washer will hold it just fine assuming that it's done up with sufficient torque. If the nuts are still slackening themselves then look at a spring washer between the thick washer and the nut :)

Could it also be any gasket material in the joint has shifted and allowed the bolts some slack?

So after trying the Berlingo forum and having no joy I thought it's worth a punt at testing the knowledge of fellow trials enthusiasts. 

I've recently purchased a Citroen Berlingo with a faulty speedometer and it's really starting to get on my last nerve. 

Symptoms are: Clocks won't register any speed or milage. The speedo moves when the ignition is turned on and does a little test but when driving just sits at 0mph 

So far I have located the speedo drive sensor and replaced it for a new one (although the box was damaged and it was the last in stock from Euro so maywell have been a duff one) and still not had any luck. 

I took the car to an auto electrician who plugged it in on a Bosch computer but didn't find a relevant fault code, but said it's common for the drive gear inside the gearbox to snap and not spin the sensor best way to check was to take out the sensor rotate the wheels and see if the cog was moving, I did this and that cog seemed to be moving fine (video to hand if needed) 

The electrician then said if I plug the speed sensor in and attach the other end to a drill the speedo should move and the drill would simulate a moving vehicle but the clocks still didn't register anything. 

Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall now any help is much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, BJ. said:

snip

Is it the 1.6 HDi or 1.9 DW8 lump? 

If it's the HDI it can either be the ECU itself or the clocks de-solder themselves. They're a worst case scenario... 

Check continuity through both the VSS plug on the loom to the relative terminals at the other end, and that the sensor earth wire is grounding properly too. 

Other option would be to try another set of clocks to see what result you get if you can. Rules one more option out. 

1 hour ago, SamKidney said:

Is it the 1.6 HDi or 1.9 DW8 lump? 

If it's the HDI it can either be the ECU itself or the clocks de-solder themselves. They're a worst case scenario... 

Check continuity through both the VSS plug on the loom to the relative terminals at the other end, and that the sensor earth wire is grounding properly too. 

Other option would be to try another set of clocks to see what result you get if you can. Rules one more option out. 

It's he 1.6 HDI. 

If it was the ECU would the management light not flag up or at least the diagnostics not show something? 

Im struggling finding a wiring diagram to be honest so I feel like my hands are tied.

also I don't think it's the clocks because when you turn on the ignition they all move and do a little test and all seems to be fine. 

38 minutes ago, BJ. said:

It's he 1.6 HDI. 

If it was the ECU would the management light not flag up or at least the diagnostics not show something? 

Im struggling finding a wiring diagram to be honest so I feel like my hands are tied.

also I don't think it's the clocks because when you turn on the ignition they all move and do a little test and all seems to be fine. 

They shouldn't be doing the self test routine... they don't normally at least. I think the issue may be with the clocks themselves. 

Got the box in bits this afternoon. 

50:50 about it really. The gearsets and syncros/hubs look really good and the forks are barely worn which is a huge bonus for these boxes. The end bearing on the input shaft has been hot at some stage though and doesn't feel great, and the plastic "windage" ( if you could call it that ) tray that aids distribution of oil around the box has suffered as a result of the fire damage. 

Recasing it into my old gearbox looks like the best solution. On the hunt for a diff now! 

IMG_0490.thumb.JPG.86f862140a4ee6d4bc4a679d12ad7db7.JPG

IMG_0491.thumb.JPG.0fd75b086a3a3c0cc494c9bf1450530d.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Anymore plans for the car Harry? Bet it feels so good with the lsd. I'm jealous 

It really depends how this year at work goes.

Operation "Mature" is now in full effect and I need to stop spending money on the car and buy a house so that I can do what you've done - get a garage and a second car! Easier said than done in the Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey, as a 2 bed house with no drive way round here would be £200k+, let alone a 3 bed with a drive & garage, which is what I'd be looking for.

Then there's a good chance I'll either do something else with the Clio (fully stripped and ITBs), or potentially sell the Clio and get a real fixer upper and go all out project, start off with something totalled, and rebuild and modify to suit.

Really I'd like to do a few track days this year too.

• Like 1

Need to buy a new lambda sensor, but the decat pipe is now on, the cat bolts are now secure, and it has an amazing seal. 
Waiting for the loss of power at low end until the sensor arrives!

Is Prawn and his s3 still about, purely out  of curiosity!