The Car Thread

MadManMike

Got my own first car in a long time out here in Canada. It's a Subaru Forester 2.5x 2003 and I paid the grand total of $650 dollars for it . It drives incredibly well, main concern is the fuel tank leaks above half full. Hoping it's the fuel lines or I can easily seal it cause taking the tank out is a big job. 

Any tips for things to seal the tank with? Any tips or mods for the subie too? 

13 minutes ago, Duncy H said:

Got my own first car in a long time out here in Canada. It's a Subaru Forester 2.5x 2003 and I paid the grand total of $650 dollars for it . It drives incredibly well, main concern is the fuel tank leaks above half full. Hoping it's the fuel lines or I can easily seal it cause taking the tank out is a big job. 

Any tips for things to seal the tank with? Any tips or mods for the subie too? 

I'd say it'll be the tank breather leaking if it's only above half full. Check the filler neck to see if it's rotten. 

So I had a rummage underneath and it looks fairly easy to sort. Think the main leak is coming from the fuel line. It appears the metal line has corroded. Any tips for the best way to rectify it? Thinking along the lines of chopping it out and replacing it with a rubber line if that's easy enough. Picture hopefully shows it better.

IMG_5398.thumb.JPG.c7c2aa17bf9cd5c4c3d8bbeee41c32c3.JPG

The other area of leaking mainly mainly seems to be from the drain plug which I was thinking along the lines of just taking it out and using ptfe tape around the threads? It doesn't seem to be coming from above or anywhere else.

IMG_5400.thumb.JPG.0b04a03557d748f3eb193d7c0e51a433.JPG

Hopefully nice easy fixes.

Right Picking up a mk2.5 mx5 arizona edition, yellow, 1.8 blah blah, hard top and coilys for a bit of extra dollar.

Sills have been done before, but still need attention, and the chassis rail is due soon.

Picking it up tomorrow £1010 for the car, roof and coilys

1 hour ago, Danny said:

How's your new engine going @MadManMike? Did you figure out your oil consumption issues?

Still not sure on the consumption. It runs nicely, other than a weird idle issue (I think it needs a new idle control valve, it's a fairly common issue and very easy to fix).

It used from max to min on my journey from Bristol to Hastings, Hastings to Folkestone, Folkestone to Brussels (Which is around 360 miles). Since then I've gone from Brussels to Bristol, Bristol to Merthyr and back, Bristol to Salisbury and back, Bristol to Clevedon and back and a few smaller trips around Bristol - oil usage hasn't been anything major...

I'm heading to Castle Combe in the morning, so will check the oil before I go.

If it's magically stopped, that's fine by me :)

How long had it been sat before fitting it Mike? It may just be that the oil control rings were gunked up or stuck and took a while to free up. If that's the case then chances are it'll be fine from now on. 

I'll be at Combe too, keep an eye out for Prawns Audi, we'll be near by. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Haz said:

Some fun Clio news for you all. One of my handbrake cables has snapped, and new ones are £58 for the pair. £58!! 

That's strange, two of my mates have just done that within the past two weeks. Must be weather related surely. 

Sorry should have said, it's a bit of a frankenstien. 1999 c-class with a ca18det engine swap. Rwd Ca18det from a s13. 

What remains of the Mercedes ecu runs of the original key.

Ca18det runs of independent switches. Fuel pump, ecu and ignition are all independent from each other.

The ecu is preface lift so it runs without a lambda sensor.